Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Abbey1991
    • By Abbey1991 5th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    • 103Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Abbey1991
    Skint person moving from Fiber to Copper
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    Skint person moving from Fiber to Copper 5th Jul 18 at 7:35 PM
    I'm helping a skint person on benefits move from Plusnet fibre to BT Basic which I think is copper.

Are there any hidden pitfalls in this move and do normal rules apply about giving notice to the new provider rather than old provider?

I've heard that there are early cessation charges from Plusnet for this kind of thing when they stop a fibre connection.
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jul 18, 7:38 PM
    • 64,174 Posts
    • 376,639 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:38 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:38 PM
    What are the cost differences?

I'm on BT Standard, which they promoted at "up to 10MB" and it's about the same price as fibre.... but I only get 1.3MB in reality! And their official line is "count yourself lucky really...." as their official paperwork says I could go even lower and still be deemed as "acceptable for the service"

So what are you trying to save her?
    • Abbey1991
    • By Abbey1991 5th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Abbey1991
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    Thanks, so 1.3MB is the speed? And fiber is 50MB, is that right?

That's a massive difference but she doesn't seem to use it for much more than checking emails, so maybe it's OK?

I think it would be dropping down from 39 per month to 10 per month.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 5th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    What are the cost differences?

I'm on BT Standard, which they promoted at "up to 10MB" and it's about the same price as fibre.... but I only get 1.3MB in reality! And their official line is "count yourself lucky really...." as their official paperwork says I could go even lower and still be deemed as "acceptable for the service"

So what are you trying to save her?
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    It looks like the OP is talking about BT Basic, which is a social tarrif for those on certain benefits , where as what you are on is, presumably a standard ADSL2+ broadband, and it's the line length dictates the speed you get, which would be similar regardless of provider ( assuming the underlying technology is the same )
    As far as the OP questions are concerned, I would think moving to BT Basic doesn't exempt the customer from their contractual obligations with Plusnet, and with BT Basic with broadband, there is a 12Gb/month limit , for the 10/month cost,(which includes line rental)
    If the phone is used a lot, the customer needs to be aware that only a small amount of call minutes are included in the 10
    Last edited by iniltous; 05-07-2018 at 8:14 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    • 64,174 Posts
    • 376,639 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    It looks like the OP is talking about BT Basic, which is a social tarrif for those on certain benefits , what you are on , presumably is a standard ADSL broadband, and line length dictates the speed you get, which would be similar regardless of provider ( assuming the underlying technology is the same )
    Originally posted by iniltous
    Oh, I'd not heard of such a scheme before.

My bad then... I assumed the OP was using a generic name for a basic BT package, rather than a specifically named thing "for some people".

Looked it up now

BT Basic + Broadband will cost 9.95 in total a month (which includes your BT Basic line rental).
    https://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/BTBasicBroadband/index.htm
    Yeah, that's a good deal!
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jul 18, 8:18 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:18 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:18 PM
    Originally posted by Abbey1991

As I recall ADSL is up to 24 and FTTC is up to 40/80 depending on your option.

Of course ADSL is dependend on distance to exhchange whereas FTTC is dependend on distance to the cabinet.

I get around 60 on FTTC. I would get 0.1 on ADSL.

Checkers are available.
    • Abbey1991
    • By Abbey1991 5th Jul 18, 8:21 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Abbey1991
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:21 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:21 PM
    Sorry that I was ambiguous about the product.

She doesn't make many outbound calls.

I guess a 12GB limit is quite low so she will have to watch out for that. In terms of copper though, I guess it is so slow that streaming wouldn't even be possible?!
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 5th Jul 18, 8:23 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:23 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:23 PM
    It is a good deal for those that qualify , but with the caveat that it indended as a way for those on a limited budget to stay in touch , rather than just a discount on ordinary BT Broadband.
    BT apart , no other provider is forced by Ofcom to offer what is in effect below cost phone and broadband access, hence the limited calls and bandwidth.
    Irrespective of speed , streaming lots of video probably isn't a good idea for those on BT Basic as 12Gb wouldn't take long to consume.
    A while ago I only had a 3Mb ADSL connection and that was easily good enough for standard def streaming, and the sync speed on BT Basic and standard ADSL2 broadband is the same, so the chances are that streaming would be OK on BT Basic, but best avoided
    Last edited by iniltous; 05-07-2018 at 8:35 PM.
    • Abbey1991
    • By Abbey1991 5th Jul 18, 8:24 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Abbey1991
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:24 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:24 PM
    As I recall ADSL is up to 24 and FTTC is up to 40/80 depending on your option.

Of course ADSL is dependend on distance to exhchange whereas FTTC is dependend on distance to the cabinet.

I get around 60 on FTTC. I would get 0.1 on ADSL.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Thank you. I didn't know about the distance to exchange / cabinet thing.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 5th Jul 18, 8:24 PM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    AndyPK
    1.3Mb is ok for emails.

And a massive saving in

But not suitable for a smart TV
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th Jul 18, 8:58 AM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe

That's a massive difference but she doesn't seem to use it for much more than checking emails, so maybe it's OK?

1.3Mbps is what @Pasturesnew would get on ADSL (copper pair), it doesn't bear any comparison to what your friend would get unless they live in the same house using the same cable.

Go to https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker and click on the "address checker" link towards the bottom. Put in the postcode to check and hit "submit", select the address.

For copper pair have a look on the table for "ADSL Products" & "WBC ADSL 2+"

You need the "Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)" & "Downstream Range(Mbps)"

This will give you a fair indication of what you'll get (short of line problems of course).

BTW, ADSL is up to 19.5Mbps if you're very close to the exchange and fibre starts at up to 38Mbps with higher speeds available. The defining distance for fibre (generally speaking) is from your house to the nearest green cabinet in the street.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th Jul 18, 9:25 AM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I don't think this has been asked but is your friend out of any minimum term? 39 a month for PN fibre seems high, what are they actually paying for? PN's present offer for UL fibre is 23.99 a month, would a discount suit them? (this is without any call package)
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Another thought, if they pretty much only use it for emails then presuming they've got a smart phone then why not just cancel it entirely and use the phone? You can get decent amounts of minutes, texts & data for just 5 a month.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 6th Jul 18, 11:54 AM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    AndyPK
    BT basic is such a good deal, its worth having
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,881Posts Today

8,017Users online

Martin's Twitter