Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 5th Jul 18, 5:39 PM
    • 133Posts
    • 36Thanks
    sausage_time
    Contactless plus PIN
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:39 PM
    Contactless plus PIN 5th Jul 18 at 5:39 PM
    On my travels and I'm encountering a new scenario - one that I did not know was technically possible! In Croatia, using contactless on my FX friendly credit card. All good, no DCC scams so far. I don't know the contactless limit here, so I try it on every time. For around 5 "big" transactions, i've been promoted for my PIN after the tap, but with no card insertion necessary.

Never seen this before. I always thought the chip did the PIN validation, so not sure how this works. Anyone else encountered this?
Page 1
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 5th Jul 18, 7:21 PM
    • 3,654 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:21 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:21 PM
    It happens in Spain too. Not a system we have in the UK, but our banks support it.

Works a bit like ATMs before cards got chips. The PIN is stored remotely at the bank and it gets checked remotely after entry.

• Alexd52
    • By Alexd52 5th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Alexd52
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    Had this in Portugal today
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 6th Jul 18, 8:48 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    sausage_time
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:48 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:48 AM
    Yes, it must be on-line validation. Has to be good from a fraud detection point of view too.

It's actually very fast and convenient. You can put your card away as soon as the terminal scans, and then enter your PIN. Hope ye olde UK banks and payment systems adopt this too.
    • genetic
    • By genetic 6th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    genetic
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    I had this in the UK this week, too. For a purchase of under 10 pounds!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

390Posts Today

5,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin