Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MRD1990
    • By MRD1990 5th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    MRD1990
    Fault after 2 months - should the dealer repair?
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    Fault after 2 months - should the dealer repair? 5th Jul 18 at 5:21 PM
    Hi,
    Iím hoping someone will be able to help.
    I recently bought a 2011 Audi TT from a dealer with 27500 miles on the clock. Iíve had the car 2 months and itís now on 30000 miles.
    A few weeks after buying the car, I noticed that when I accelerated in 5th and 6th gear, the car would rev but would not actually accelerate. This was also in conjunction with a burning smell. At the time, I didnít think much of it (Iím no mechanic) and continued to drive the vehicle.
    Around a week ago, it repeated this behaviour again and I decided it needed further investigation.
    I contacted the dealer I bought the vehicle from to explain and it was suggested that I take the car to their branch near my home.
    This particular branch advised I needed a new clutch and that I shouldnít drive the car as it was prone to Ďimminent failureí. I fed this back to the branch I bought the vehicle from Ė they supplied me with a courtesy car and advised they would need to move my vehicle to a third branch for further inspection.
    The car went in on 28/6 and itís now 5/7. I was advised on 3/7 that my vehicle had been put up on ramps and that the branch had ordered a part for the vehicle.
    I called today (5/7) to ask what was going on with my car only to be told they don't know what the problem is!
    No one has called me to discuss costs or to ask for authorisation on repairs. From what I have read on my consumer rights, it would be reasonable for me to expect the dealer to repair the vehicle at no cost to myself.
    It would also be down to them to prove the fault was not present at the time of purchase.
    Please could someone help and advise on where I stand with this?
Page 1
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 5th Jul 18, 5:26 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:26 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:26 PM
    is it a manual or a dsg
    ďPeople are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we areĒ

Rat Race
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Jul 18, 6:32 PM
    • 17,778 Posts
    • 16,106 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:32 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:32 PM
    A few weeks after buying the car, I noticed that when I accelerated in 5th and 6th gear, the car would rev but would not actually accelerate. This was also in conjunction with a burning smell. At the time, I didnít think much of it (Iím no mechanic) and continued to drive the vehicle.
    Originally posted by MRD1990
    It's called clutch slip, and is the sign that the clutch is not connecting properly between engine and gearbox. It could be oil contamination (there'll be other symptoms - like drip marks on the ground), it could be a parts failure (least likely), it could be wear due to previous misuse (most likely).

I called today (5/7) to ask what was going on with my car only to be told they don't know what the problem is!
    The only way they're going to know for sure is to remove the gearbox - at which point, it's kinda academic because the labour cost to take it all apart and put it all back together massively outweighs the parts cost.

So it comes down to who pays. Yes, 30k is a low mileage for a clutch to have worn - but far from impossible. If it is wear, then whether they carry any legal liability is a grey area at best, but they may be willing to contribute for goodwill.
    • MRD1990
    • By MRD1990 5th Jul 18, 6:43 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MRD1990
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:43 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:43 PM
    Ďis it a manual or a dsgí

- itís a manual. It doesnít seem to be struggling with the gears.

It only really seems to happen when the engines under max torque.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Jul 18, 6:47 PM
    • 17,778 Posts
    • 16,106 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:47 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:47 PM
    It only really seems to happen when the engines under max torque.
    Yep, that's clutch slip.
    • MRD1990
    • By MRD1990 5th Jul 18, 6:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MRD1990
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:51 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:51 PM
    It's called clutch slip, and is the sign that the clutch is not connecting properly between engine and gearbox. It could be oil contamination (there'll be other symptoms - like drip marks on the ground), it could be a parts failure (least likely), it could be wear due to previous misuse (most likely).

- I havenít noticed any drip marks on the ground. It only seems to happen in the two higher gears when the engines under max torque?

The only way they're going to know for sure is to remove the gearbox - at which point, it's kinda academic because the labour cost to take it all apart and put it all back together massively outweighs the parts cost. - they have already dropped the gearbox our without calling me. No one has called to advise costs etc... Iíve not authorised any work

So it comes down to who pays. Yes, 30k is a low mileage for a clutch to have worn - but far from impossible. If it is wear, then whether they carry any legal liability is a grey area at best, but they may be willing to contribute for goodwill.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    - would you think a goodwill gesture would be likely? I would argue the fault would have been there when I bought the car :/
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 5th Jul 18, 7:28 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:28 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:28 PM
    Garage could argue that the OP wore the clutch out himself?
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 5th Jul 18, 7:34 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:34 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:34 PM
    - would you think a goodwill gesture would be likely? I would argue the fault would have been there when I bought the car :/

It really can come down to the type of dealer your dealing with some are very good and like to help out as much as possible, my mate had a golf 2012 dsg after about 6 weeks he had problems with the gearbox not selecting gears, metatronic unit gone pop, got in touch with the dealer and they replaced it at cost no hassle

others not so much "take me to court pal types" getting anything from them even a civilized conversation can be like pulling teeth
    ďPeople are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we areĒ

Rat Race
    • MRD1990
    • By MRD1990 5th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MRD1990
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    I bought it from a Marshall!!!8217;s dealership - the guy I!!!8217;ve been dealing with seems fairly helpful....
    I!!!8217;m just concerned as I!!!8217;m not really being updated and they!!!8217;ve not called to authorise any repairs !!!55357;!!!56899;

When I bought the car I traded in a mini with over 80,000 miles on the clock - still on the original clutch
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    • 3,197 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Sadly when you buy a used car, especially a performance one that's 6/7 years old, there's always the risk the previous owner was a muppet and shafted the clutch.
    • lopsyfa
    • By lopsyfa 5th Jul 18, 8:38 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    lopsyfa
    I bought it from a Marshall!!!8217;s dealership - the guy I!!!8217;ve been dealing with seems fairly helpful....
    I!!!8217;m just concerned as I!!!8217;m not really being updated and they!!!8217;ve not called to authorise any repairs !!!55357;!!!56899;

When I bought the car I traded in a mini with over 80,000 miles on the clock - still on the original clutch
    Maybe that is because they want to repair it for you. I donít think they will expect you to pay if you didnít authorise it before the repair. Instead of worrying too much, iíll get in touch with the dealer to request update and also ask them to provide regular updates.
    • peter12345678910
    • By peter12345678910 6th Jul 18, 1:53 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    peter12345678910
    I was looking for a car for the wife last month, one car on auto trader said it had a high clutch but I test drove it and it was obvious the clutch was slipping within one second of driving it. I reported the car to auto trader and the advert was removed within a week.

The second car was also from a private seller and he said drive the car round the block and I took it twice round the block. This is why you test drive the car to test if the clutch is slipping and to see how well it drives.

So you drove the car 2500 miles to find out the clutch is slipping?
    Last edited by peter12345678910; 06-07-2018 at 2:01 AM.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 6th Jul 18, 7:15 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    wgl2014
    Sounds like the dealer are sorting it, if you're not sure whether they are accepting to pay the full cost call and ask them.

If they are then I think you are quite fortunate, clutches wear out and if it drove OK when you bought the car it clearly wasn't faulty at that point.

Clutches, tyres, brake pads etc are all going to need changing on second hand cars, just a matter of when.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,213Posts Today

8,363Users online

Martin's Twitter