Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Jul 18, 5:09 PM
    • 12,223Posts
    • 235,261Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Are you SABLE?
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:09 PM
    Are you SABLE? 5th Jul 18 at 5:09 PM
    Whilst whiling away a sleepless night, it occured to me that this might be an amusing idea for a thread. Hopefully, some others will agree and we can have some fun and share some ideas.

S.A.B.L.E - meaning Stash Acquired Beyond Lifetime Expectancy.

I think this term was coined over craft materials, but it could apply to lots of different things, I guess.

I confess to being SABLE for the following;

1. Sewing threads.
    2. Socks.
    3. Certain kinds of clothes.
    4. Towels.
    5. Bedsheets.

And borderline SABLE for:

1. Soap.
    2. Photo albums.
    3. Haberdashery.

OK, who else wants to join in.................?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

Page 1
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Jul 18, 5:10 PM
    • 12,806 Posts
    • 177,006 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:10 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:10 PM
    Tins of tomatoes? Husbands???
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 5th Jul 18, 5:14 PM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 5,131 Thanks
    Artytarty
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:14 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:14 PM
    Scissors...oddly!
    I think it's because when I was child we only had one pair that could never be found when needed...and were no good.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 5th Jul 18, 5:43 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 11,593 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:43 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:43 PM
    Books!...When I first moved into Sheltered Housing, I all but wept as I downsized my book collection.....and then again the tears welled as I moved again into my ground-floor adapted flat.....and slowly but surely the shelves of my remaining bookshelves have started to bulge...and I reach out a happy hand and stroke a few old friends and whisper a soft ...'yes'!

Jeans....how many pairs does one need?....Having gone from morbidly-obese down to 'bordering overweight' and determined to make it to 'normal' I have discovered the joys of jeans!...Only four...five?...is it six? ..pairs at the moment, but give me time!

Crayons!...A few years ago I started doing a spot of colouring as a kind of therapy....and then recently moved on to Bible Journaling (responding to the Bible by colouring, sketching, lettering, doodling, sticking, doing whatever I feel led to...in a special purpose-designed Bible)...and Christmas and Birthday often means I get some new crayons...watercolour ones...pitt pastels (LOVE these!)...blendable!!!8230;.

Bibles!!!....I guess this could be covered as 'Books' but maybe it deserves its own mention...Let's see...I have a King James Authorized...and a New International...and a New King James...and a Jerusalem ...and a Gute Nachricht (German Good News)!!!8230;.and a German Luther...and two Study Bibles...plus my Journaling Bible !!!8230;.and my Amazon wish list currently has 3 more Bibles on it!

Embroidery Yarn and Ribbons....I used to be friends with a woman who ran a needlecraft shop...when she retired due to ill health, she gave my a HUGE stash of stuff!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 5th Jul 18, 6:04 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 31,263 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:04 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:04 PM
    Cracking idea for a thread.

1. A certain brand of saddle pads that comes in a glorious range of colours, my jodhpurs may be worn and holey but horse girlie is currently resplendent in turquoise and now have my eye, & piggy bank, trained on fuchsia.
    2. Roses et Rein body lotion.
    3. Beeswax candles, all shapes and sizes.
    4. Bamboo socks
    5. Chocolate florentine biscuits.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 5th Jul 18, 6:35 PM
    • 5,370 Posts
    • 79,048 Thanks
    VJsmum
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:35 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:35 PM
    1. Soap
    2. reusable shopping and tote bags
    3. Saucepans
    4. Most spirits except gin
    5. telephone note pads
    6. plastic A4 wallets
    7. cotton vests
    8. assorted nails and screws

Borderline
    1. Highlighter pens
    2. long sleeved t shirts
    3. knitting wool

And that's just off the top of my head...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 5th Jul 18, 6:36 PM
    • 2,916 Posts
    • 41,457 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:36 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:36 PM
    Scented candles.... I have enough for a full on midnight mass

Without sounding ungrateful I obviously hit the age that they have become to 'go to' birthday/Christmas/Mother's day prezzie, will need to make a subtle suggestion of something else for the next event
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Jul 18, 6:53 PM
    • 12,223 Posts
    • 235,261 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:53 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:53 PM
    Cracking idea for a thread.
    Originally posted by LaineyT

Thank you.

I am now suffering from Stash Envy over some of the holdings already declared by you good people of the old style persuasion.

Should you ever feel the need to divest yourself of the florentines, perhaps we could come to some arrangement..........?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Jul 18, 6:58 PM
    • 12,806 Posts
    • 177,006 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:58 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:58 PM
    Seriously?

Tea Lights and candles
    oil lamps and candlesticks
    boxes of matches (big ones) and lighters
    saucepans
    prepping equipment
    portable methods of cooking/heating
    walking boots
    cookery and prepping books
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Jul 18, 7:02 PM
    • 26,715 Posts
    • 56,856 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm SABLE for lots of things that I have no intention of purchasing more of for the rest of my natural, which I estimate to be another 35 years. The list includes towels, underwear, tights, jeans, suits (which I hate wearing, they're so fuddy-duddy and not my preferred working wardrobe).

Books, candles, lipsticks, biros, pencils, large mugs, baking accessories, jeans - most definitely! But that won't stop me from acquiring more and more of them because I love the tyranny of choice
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 05-07-2018 at 7:04 PM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 5th Jul 18, 7:07 PM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 4,869 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    I'll be the dissenting voice.

Nothing for me. I have a capsule wardrobe, just enough towels, cosmetics, food, books, craft stuff, bed linen etc.

I HATE clutter!

Everything in the house is pared down to as little as possible.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 5th Jul 18, 7:17 PM
    • 4,005 Posts
    • 54,156 Thanks
    monnagran
    Books, books and more books.
    Every sort of stationery equipment. Keep me away from Staples.
    I can match princess for bibles, King James, NIV, Good News (dont like) The Message (love) Studybible , 2 concordances and several commentaries.

Clothes, those I've slimmed out of, in case I eat my way back into them. Those I am wearing now. Those that, if a miracle happens, I may yet fit into.

Wool, knitting needles, patterns.

Unfinished projects.

There must be more. I'll think about it.

I reckon on about another 10 years if I'm lucky. They are obviously going to be busy ones.
    Last edited by monnagran; 05-07-2018 at 7:19 PM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 5th Jul 18, 7:22 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 2,284 Thanks
    Brambling
    Books including a large amount of cookery books
    Wool and fabric etc etc
    Boots & shoes
    Clothes - all different sizes I'm with Monnagran ever hopeful they will fit again
    Bags for life
    Baking trays and cake tins - I buy replacements and 'forget' to throw away the old
    Mugs - I can't use scented candles Island Maid so my go to gift seems to be mugs

Maybe I should do some decluttering at the weekend
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 5th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 34,090 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Me too

1. Sewing threads.
    2. Socks.
    3. Jeans and trousers/leggings
    4. Towels.
    5. Bedsheets.
    6. Wool, needles, patterns, beads,
    7. Books
    8. Lipsticks
    9. Boot and shoes
    10. Waterproof jackets
    11. Long sleeved T shirts.

I think that I had better stop now before I embarrass myself

In my defence I acquired craft stashes ready for retirement and then developed RA in my hands, also I have been ill and lost shed loads of weight which I did not need to loose, gradually thinning clothes as and when I come to acceptance that I will probably never regain much weight, then the good bit - buying clothes for my diminishing size (mostly CS)
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 5th Jul 18, 8:06 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 9,886 Thanks
    grunnie
    Love this thread great idea GreyQueen. I have enough books a shelf of bibles and cookery books. Sheets towels duvet covers various sizes all joyful. Far too many vintage pillow cases but I love them. Love them enough to iron them.Clothes shoes and my weakness designer handbags. Loads of wool knitting needles and crochet hooks and patterns that I may never knit.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jul 18, 8:15 PM
    • 4,638 Posts
    • 28,069 Thanks
    caronc
    Plastic flower pots of all shapes and sizes - must have several hundred and can still never find the size I need when potting on....

• THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 5th Jul 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 7,168 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    Knitting wool -but I deny it every time DH comments on the amount of wool in the spare room. Also knitting needles and embroidery threads-I inherited my mother's stash and she'd already inherited her aunt's stash.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Jul 18, 8:39 PM
    • 12,223 Posts
    • 235,261 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Knitting wool -but I deny it every time DH comments on the amount of wool in the spare room. Also knitting needles and embroidery threads-I inherited my mother's stash and she'd already inherited her aunt's stash.
    Originally posted by THIRZAH
    A good Stash can easily be a multi-generational family holding.

I believe my 10 strong cotton bedsheets will last me at least the next 15 years and, by that point, I am likely to have inherited the maternal stash. Now that is a household which is most definately SABLE where the loft is full of knitting yarn.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Litha
    • By Litha 5th Jul 18, 9:14 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    Litha
    Great thread,
    just off the top of my head;
    Cookery books ( general books have been thinned down severely)
    Art magazines
    Paint - watercolour, acrylic, face paint,
    Art materials, especially pastels
    Unfinished projects
    Prep material for unstarted projects
    Brushes
    Sketchbooks
    Glitter
    Craft materials
    Fabrics that one day I will make something from
    I better not think of any more :-)
    You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 5th Jul 18, 11:00 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 16,460 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hmm,

notebooks
    sewing thread
    shopping bags
    handbags
    towels
    pillow cases
    drinking glasses
    Christmas decorations

Oh dear! I think I could release some drinking glasses,but what if 40 people drop in unexpectedly?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,210Posts Today

8,117Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin