Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 5th Jul 18, 4:28 PM
    • 33,874 Posts
    • 40,003 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:28 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:28 PM
    Look at power line adapters , they use the ring main
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 5th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 5,347 Posts
    • 5,243 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    Or (if possible) look at running a CAT5e cable down the stairs and placing a WiFi access point at the end of it.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 5th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    +1 for powerline adapters - I changed to them from wireless (for our 2 PC's) about 18 months ago when I got BTTV, works well. I have the "pass through" type so the PLA is also a power point, plus my PLA's also have 2 ethernet points on each, handy for 2 PC's close together, or TV and Youview or similar box. I believe you can also get PLA's that are also wireless extenders, but have no experience of them.

Have a look on eBay - I picked up 2 as new BT 1GB PLA's for 25 delivered, Ebuyer also have good deals on them.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 5th Jul 18, 5:06 PM
    • 4,854 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:06 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:06 PM
    +1000 for running proper cable and forgetting wifi. The sky box has an ethernet connection on the back, at least mine does, as do all of my smart TVs.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 5th Jul 18, 8:48 PM
    • 8,428 Posts
    • 6,207 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:48 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:48 PM
    +1000 for running proper cable and forgetting wifi. The sky box has an ethernet connection on the back, at least mine does, as do all of my smart TVs.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99

^^ Definitely the best option... if it's feasible. The next best would be:

...running a CAT5e cable down the stairs and placing a WiFi access point at the end of it.
    Originally posted by DoaM

That way you have better wifi coverage with no extra latency. Failing that:

Look at power line adapters , they use the ring main
    Originally posted by Browntoa

If you can't use powerline adapters, then I'd look at wi-fi repeaters.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jul 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 1,477 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:53 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:53 PM
    ^^ Definitely the best option... if it's feasible. The next best would be:

That way you have better wifi coverage with no extra latency. Failing that:

If you can't use powerline adapters, then I'd look at wi-fi repeaters.
    Originally posted by esuhl

Nearly right ;-)

1. Wired.
    2. Powerline/Wired.
    3. Wired/Wifi.
    4. Powerline/Wifi.
    4. Wifi.

Wifi is a thing to use for phones and tablets, not for anything you don't have to.
    • guzzbuzz
    • By guzzbuzz 6th Jul 18, 9:55 AM
    • 338 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    guzzbuzz
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:55 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:55 AM
    Thanks everyone

I should have probably mentioned ive already gone down the powerline adapter route (sorry) its had mixed results. It worked for one living room but even then the speeds werent very good. Not sure if its poor wiring or just bad powerline adapters (i got the free from BT after i complained)

Running the cable is something ive considered but id have to go outside of the house and all the way round to the back and it just seems like alot of hassle. Going inside the house is not an option.

Plus all of that would sort out the TV's and sky boxes but it wouldnt sort out the phones, tablets and laptop. They need Wifi and the living room at the back of the house is the biggest problem.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 6th Jul 18, 10:04 AM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 1,822 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:04 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:04 AM
    The furthest smart TV and SKY box would be around 20-25 metres away from the router)
    Originally posted by guzzbuzz
    If you mean metres (assume there are walls too) forget repeaters/boosters.

e.g. https://www.reviewsfire.com/tech/best-powerline-adapters-2018/
    If you don't need the latest spec you can get much cheaper (but check ethernet AND wifi are supported if you need both.)
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • takman
    • By takman 6th Jul 18, 11:45 AM
    • 3,777 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    takman
    Thanks everyone

I should have probably mentioned ive already gone down the powerline adapter route (sorry) its had mixed results. It worked for one living room but even then the speeds werent very good. Not sure if its poor wiring or just bad powerline adapters (i got the free from BT after i complained)

Running the cable is something ive considered but id have to go outside of the house and all the way round to the back and it just seems like alot of hassle. Going inside the house is not an option.

Plus all of that would sort out the TV's and sky boxes but it wouldnt sort out the phones, tablets and laptop. They need Wifi and the living room at the back of the house is the biggest problem.
    Originally posted by guzzbuzz
    The best option for speed and reliability is to run an Ethernet cable to the living room to connect up the Smart TV and have a network switch to also connect a Wi-Fi access point for wireless devices.
    Even if it's a bit of a hassle it will be worth it if you want the best speeds, important if you want it to be future proof.

Powerline Adaptors are often a popular option because they are easy to install but they are slow compared to Ethernet; they don't get anywhere near the advertised speed in a normal house. They are also more likely to have connection problems.
    They can also be expensive for good ones compared to the price of a decent cable and network switch.
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 6th Jul 18, 12:45 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    Unless you've just had a re-wire avoid the powerline adapters. By far the best solution is to run ethernet cables to the devices directly or to a new hub. Personally i would go with a wireless extended, they're cheap, easy, quick enough in most instances and are usually 1-click connection and often have ethernet ports built in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,121Posts Today

8,456Users online

Martin's Twitter