Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • juliesf
    • By juliesf 5th Jul 18, 3:49 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    juliesf
    0 WOW
    Mercury Holidays hotel issue
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:49 PM
    0 WOW
    Mercury Holidays hotel issue 5th Jul 18 at 3:49 PM
    Hello everyone, I am asking on behalf of a friend who is freaking out.

She booked a 12 night holiday in Cyprus via Mercury Holidays for four people (herself, partner, 9 yr old and 1 yr old) in early August. The baby would be in a hotel-provided travel cot, everyone in the same room. They were booked into a four star hotel including breakfast. The hotel had children's amenities (playground) and tennis courts, pool etc.
    Yesterday she was notified by Mercury that there would be no room in the booked hotel for the travel cot and the baby would have to share the bed! Alternatively, she could choose another hotel (four star) which would not have the same amenities as the original hotel, which Mercury promised would fit everyone in the room at the time of the original booking.

She contacted ABTA and they said that because Mercury offered other four star hotel choices, that is all they have to do. These other hotels have varying (not great) reviews and prices and definitely don't have the amenities required. Mercury said there are no refunds on the holiday.

Is there any recourse? Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • photome
    • By photome 5th Jul 18, 4:10 PM
    • 13,259 Posts
    • 8,793 Thanks
    photome
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:10 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:10 PM
    If it is mercury holidays their t and c say

The following changes are examples of significant changes.
    • A reduction in the number of nights of your holiday
    • A change of your resort area or your accommodation to a lower brochure category for the full duration of your stay.
    • A change of your date of departure
    • A change from a day flight to night flight (providing time of departure is changed by more than 8 hours for shorthaul and 12 hours for longhaul). A night flight which is changed to depart after or before midnight is not a change of date.
    If we have to cancel or make a significant change to your arrangements, we will give you the following choices:
    • Accepting the changed arrangements as notified to you;
    • Purchasing another holiday from us, of a similar standard to that originally booked if available (with you paying or receiving a refund in respect of any price difference); or
    • Cancelling or accepting the cancellation and receiving a full & prompt refund of all monies paid to us.

It looks like it is not a significant change according to their terms so no refunds but their terms say these are only examples, you may have to argue that you think it is a significant change
    • Westin
    • By Westin 5th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Westin
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    Does the unnamed hotel have other room types which can accommodate 3+Inf?
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 5th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    • 2,101 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    comeandgo
    Is she paying anything for the baby's holiday? Maybe if it's coming along as a freeby then the hotel don't regard this as in issue.
    • Sooler
    • By Sooler 5th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 2,892 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    Sooler
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    Keep the current hotel.
    Make room for the travel cot and sleep on the floor.
    If it's a double bed in the room, change it to a single.
    If 2 singles, take a bed out.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 6th Jul 18, 1:19 AM
    • 5,185 Posts
    • 7,237 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:19 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:19 AM
    Keep the current hotel.
    Make room for the travel cot and sleep on the floor.
    If it's a double bed in the room, change it to a single.
    If 2 singles, take a bed out.
    Originally posted by Sooler
    I'd tell the hotel that we were keeping the room and do this. I'd go out and buy one of the smaller travel cots on the market (not cheap brands but a pittance compared to the costs of the holiday) and make it fit in the room.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • juliesf
    • By juliesf 6th Jul 18, 12:58 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    juliesf
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:58 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:58 PM
    Thanks very much for all of your replies, I am waiting to talk to my friend to see what she is going to do. I think there's no charge for the baby.
    • juliesf
    • By juliesf 6th Jul 18, 12:59 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    juliesf
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:59 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:59 PM
    Does the unnamed hotel have other room types which can accommodate 3+Inf?
    Originally posted by Westin
    She has contacted the hotel directly and she's been waiting for them to get back to her about this.
    • juliesf
    • By juliesf 6th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    juliesf
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    My friend said thanks to all of you. Mercury finally managed to get back to her and told her that there is one room in the entire gigantic hotel that is 1 metre bigger that they can have. She's taking it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,213Posts Today

8,363Users online

Martin's Twitter