Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 17w
    • By 17w 5th Jul 18, 3:23 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    17w
    How to cancel unused EE mobile contract?
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:23 PM
    How to cancel unused EE mobile contract? 5th Jul 18 at 3:23 PM
    I've had an Orange account for my daughter for the past 10 years. Two months ago, her phone was stolen and I went into an EE shop to get her a new Sim card for her pay monthly account. They told me that Orange no longer existed and that I had to sign up for a new EE contract. But unknown to me she decided to get her own EE pay monthly plan. This means that I have a plan costing 15 per month for 12 months not connected to any phone, a plan that has not sent even one text message. I called them, pointing out that I have been with them for 10 years, but they say that the contract cannot be cancelled.

I'm tempted to cancel my direct debit. Would they go to court over this? I don't care about my credit rating.
Page 1
    • JessyRM
    • By JessyRM 5th Jul 18, 3:35 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    JessyRM
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:35 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:35 PM
    How long after signing the contract did you contact EE to try and cancel? did you both do it in store?
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 5th Jul 18, 3:49 PM
    • 5,143 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:49 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:49 PM
    I've had an Orange account for my daughter for the past 10 years. Two months ago, her phone was stolen and I went into an EE shop to get her a new Sim card for her pay monthly account. They told me that Orange no longer existed and that I had to sign up for a new EE contract. But unknown to me she decided to get her own EE pay monthly plan. This means that I have a plan costing 15 per month for 12 months not connected to any phone, a plan that has not sent even one text message. I called them, pointing out that I have been with them for 10 years, but they say that the contract cannot be cancelled.

I'm tempted to cancel my direct debit. Would they go to court over this? I don't care about my credit rating.
    Originally posted by 17w
    If it came to you not paying, they wouldn't need to go to court. They have a legally binding contract that you agreed to.
    They would just pass it to a collection agency, who would add their own fees and charges, and then send agents out to collect the dept.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 5th Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    • 19,308 Posts
    • 13,519 Thanks
    molerat
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    Cancelling the DD will trash your credit, EE report to Equifax.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 5th Jul 18, 5:12 PM
    • 7,851 Posts
    • 2,571 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:12 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:12 PM
    Despite saying you don't care about your credit rating, most people definitely should. It will stay wrecked for the next 6 years and can hit all sorts of things you haven't even thought about.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 5th Jul 18, 9:24 PM
    • 9,000 Posts
    • 6,735 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:24 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:24 PM
    +1 for be careful about trashing your credit report, it can affect things like car insurance premiums, broadband and other everyday items.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 6th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    can't you cancel your own contract (if out of min term) and you use the unused one?
    • Jcjcjc333
    • By Jcjcjc333 7th Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jcjcjc333
    • 7th Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    Just cancel the direct debits. Let them send their letters.. simply throw them in the trash. Best thing that can happen is for it to be passed to a dca who have no weight as your contract is not with them. They use empty threats and bully tactics to try and intimidate you into paying them.

Taking you to court for that amount isn!!!8217;t profitable so likely will not happen.

The more people that show these clowns the middle finger the better.

Stay strong and good luck!
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Jul 18, 1:46 PM
    • 9,000 Posts
    • 6,735 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 7th Jul 18, 1:46 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 1:46 PM
    Following the above user's advice will only cause you major problems. I strongly advise you to ignore him, he has major issues and not just his credit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

390Posts Today

5,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin