Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lunabug
    • By Lunabug 5th Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lunabug
    How much to offer?! Help!
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    How much to offer?! Help! 5th Jul 18 at 3:13 PM
    We have seen a house today for the third time. Itís been up for sale for a month. Itís had three offers (one we know was definitely asking price) but all three buyers have soon after (within days) pulled out. The house is up for £189,950. Itís in good condition but needs a new kitchen as itís old and just painted. Artex on all ceilings which also needs to come off if we buy.
    A house the style and on the same estate sold for £173,500 sept 2017 which worries me that the asking price is just too high and if we buy at that price wonít get our money back. The owners bought it for £176,000 in 2006.
    Given the above how much do you think is acceptable for an opening offer and what should or ceiling price be?
    I was thinking start at 175 but my OH thinks it will just irritate them.

The house is in Oakwell Court, Hamsterley colliery, Durham listed with your move on Rightmove. Sorry as a new user I canít post the link.

Please help!
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 5th Jul 18, 3:28 PM
    • 4,638 Posts
    • 2,898 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:28 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:28 PM
    offer what you think it's worth and most important is not to overstretch yourself
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • jennhg88
    • By jennhg88 5th Jul 18, 4:01 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    jennhg88
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:01 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:01 PM
    Any info on why the previous people pulled out?
    If you offer too high you may not get the mortgage you want on it due to the valuation.
    • Lunabug
    • By Lunabug 5th Jul 18, 4:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lunabug
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:06 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:06 PM
    No idea the estate agent said personal reasons which could be anything. That!!!8217;s something I hadn!!!8217;t considered. Thanks
    • RubyHouse
    • By RubyHouse 5th Jul 18, 4:16 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    RubyHouse
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:16 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:16 PM
    It seems suspicious that 3 buyers pulled out for personal reasons. One maybe, but 3? Doesnt sound right.
    Theres been a lot of house sales in that area recently so its easy to compare prices - yours does look like the most expensive - do you think it is worth more?

If you really want the house, just go for it, I dont think £175k is too low for the first offer.
    • Lunabug
    • By Lunabug 5th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lunabug
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    I would say the last one that sold for £173,500 looks better. Bigger garden, kitchen looked better from photos and everything is on the same level rather than having steps upto the house. I think because I am not in love with the house I can be more logical than my partner. I donít think I will fall in love with any house that we can currently afford. The type of things I like in locations we want are £30k+ than we want to pay.
    I just think you can go up a bit if need be but if you donít ask you will never know. He on the other hands things a lower offer when they have had a fair bit interest will annoy them.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 5th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    • 4,567 Posts
    • 6,584 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    There is something odd about that estate because so many of the houses have been sold on many times. It isn't veryold but some of the houses have been sold 4 times.

That particular house I wouldn't give anything for. I wouldn't want those steps up to the front door with bags of shopping in the middle of winter when it was icy.
    Last edited by Cakeguts; 05-07-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

410Posts Today

5,586Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin