Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caroline231
    • By caroline231 5th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    caroline231
    Housing benefit suspended and they are refusing to deal with it
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    Housing benefit suspended and they are refusing to deal with it 5th Jul 18 at 3:07 PM
    Hi,

I received an email from Coventry City Council on Tuesday to say my clam had been suspended. I called them first thing on Wed to see why and was told it was because a letter had been returned to them, marked 'not know at this address' I've no idea why it must have been delivered to the wrong address. Thay told me to send a utility bill in my name at that address to get everything reinstated.

Problem is, the bills there aren't in my name. I have told them of this and their only advice was to change the name on the accounts. I'm unwilling to do this it will take forever to arrange and the utility company will do a credit check.

Housing benefit are saying that I am still entitled to the benefit, but have to send a bill, We're going round in circles. They are refusing to accept letters from HMRC, DWP, Council tax and their own office as evidence. I have offered to have a member of staff visit me at home to see i'm really there. but they are not budging.

I have lodged a complaint but that can take 10 days or more to be resolved!

this seems not right to me, do any of you lovelies have any advice?
Page 1
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 5th Jul 18, 4:25 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 2,590 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:25 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:25 PM
    Why are the bills not in your name?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Jul 18, 4:31 PM
    • 6,077 Posts
    • 12,915 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:31 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:31 PM
    Seconded. Not wanting bills in your name for your house isnt 'normal'

You physically sitting in the living room when someone comes round means nothing.

Lodging a complaint isnt going to help enamour them to you and bend the rules...
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 5th Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    • 11,628 Posts
    • 13,523 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    Did you ask them what address the letter was sent to?
    • fabforty
    • By fabforty 5th Jul 18, 7:46 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 3,030 Thanks
    fabforty
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:46 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:46 PM
    Is the tenancy agreement in your name?
    • _shel
    • By _shel 5th Jul 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    _shel
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:53 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:53 PM
    Hi,

I received an email from Coventry City Council on Tuesday to say my clam had been suspended. I called them first thing on Wed to see why and was told it was because a letter had been returned to them, marked 'not know at this address' I've no idea why it must have been delivered to the wrong address. Thay told me to send a utility bill in my name at that address to get everything reinstated.

Problem is, the bills there aren't in my name. I have told them of this and their only advice was to change the name on the accounts. I'm unwilling to do this it will take forever to arrange and the utility company will do a credit check.

Housing benefit are saying that I am still entitled to the benefit, but have to send a bill, We're going round in circles. They are refusing to accept letters from HMRC, DWP, Council tax and their own office as evidence. I have offered to have a member of staff visit me at home to see i'm really there. but they are not budging.

Originally posted by caroline231

Or are you subletting to someone else?
    • JoCha
    • By JoCha 5th Jul 18, 9:03 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    JoCha
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:03 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:03 PM
    Maybe the bills are in his/her partner's name? A child or parent's name? There's no need to immediately start jumping on the OP and accusing them of things.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 5th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 2,590 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    Maybe the bills are in his/her partner's name? A child or parent's name? There's no need to immediately start jumping on the OP and accusing them of things.
    Originally posted by JoCha
    I am not accusing them of anything.

Knowing why the bills are in someone else's name may help us find a way to get this issue sorted.

Have you any suggestions to assist the OP?
    • Nooney123456789
    • By Nooney123456789 5th Jul 18, 9:46 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Nooney123456789
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:46 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:46 PM
    It sounds like they owe money to the utility companies because they mentioned the companies doing a credit check,i didn't think utility companies did credit checks.
    • JoCha
    • By JoCha 5th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    JoCha
    I was not talking to you NeilCR - you just asked a question, which is fair enough.

Re advice, the only thing I could really think of would be Citizen's Advice. I've found them very helpful in the past.
    • sparkycat2
    • By sparkycat2 5th Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    sparkycat2
    It sounds like they owe money to the utility companies because they mentioned the companies doing a credit check,i didn't think utility companies did credit checks.
    Originally posted by Nooney123456789
    Many energy companies routinely do credit checks on new customers.
    To determines if they will let them pay by direct debt. Or if they will require them to have a pre-payment meter.
    • Nooney123456789
    • By Nooney123456789 6th Jul 18, 12:47 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Nooney123456789
    Many energy companies routinely do credit checks on new customers.
    To determines if they will let them pay by direct debt. Or if they will require them to have a pre-payment meter.
    Originally posted by sparkycat2
    Ok thanks.
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 6th Jul 18, 4:04 AM
    • 7,165 Posts
    • 7,810 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    I was not talking to you NeilCR - you just asked a question, which is fair enough.

Re advice, the only thing I could really think of would be Citizen's Advice. I've found them very helpful in the past.
    Originally posted by JoCha
    You do realise how these forums work don't you? People come on here for advice, not to be directed elsewhere.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • caroline231
    • By caroline231 6th Jul 18, 2:13 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    caroline231
    I'm not subletting, The bills are addressed to 'The Occupier' and as the occupier, I don't feel the need to give my details out.

The tenancy is in my name and has been for the last 4 years.

They say that the letter was addressed correctly.

After spending the day complaining they have reinstated my claim with no further action and are investigating the actions of a couple of staff members who have 'fallen below an acceptable level of service' I am working with the head of the department and the Chief Exec's Office to resolve this.

Complaining can be extremely effective if done correctly!
    Last edited by caroline231; 06-07-2018 at 2:18 PM. Reason: Update information and try to answer everyone at once!
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jul 18, 2:22 PM
    • 6,077 Posts
    • 12,915 Thanks
    marliepanda

After spending the day complaining they have reinstated my claim with no further action and are investigating the actions of a couple of staff members who have 'fallen below an acceptable level of service' I am working with the head of the department and the Chief Exec's Office to resolve this.
    Suuuuuuuuure.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 5,112 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    You do realise how these forums work don't you? People come on here for advice, not to be directed elsewhere.
    Originally posted by paddedjohn

Correct in that they come here for advice, and in this instance the advice was to speak to CAB. That same advice has been given to many people on many occasions, was all that advice wrong?
    • pepper77
    • By pepper77 6th Jul 18, 3:24 PM
    • 2,667 Posts
    • 7,592 Thanks
    pepper77
    Hi,

I'm not subletting, The bills are addressed to 'The Occupier' and as the occupier, I don't feel the need to give my details out.

The tenancy is in my name and has been for the last 4 years.

They say that the letter was addressed correctly.

Complaining can be extremely effective if done correctly!
    Doesnt sound like they were "refusing to deal with it" to me.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 6th Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    • 4,822 Posts
    • 8,121 Thanks
    sangie595

are investigating the actions of a couple of staff members who have 'fallen below an acceptable level of service'!
    That's Council speak for "not another complaint, what can we say to make you go away?"

And in the very unlikely event that the Chief Executive, or any other senior member of staff, had so little to do that they look into why a claim might have been suspended for a couple of days, they wouldn't even tell a member of the public, much less involve them In an iinvestigation into staff. Doing so would be a breach of terms and conditions, union agreements and quite conceivably data protection as well.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jul 18, 4:16 PM
    • 6,077 Posts
    • 12,915 Thanks
    marliepanda
    That's Council speak for "not another complaint, what can we say to make you go away?"

And in the very unlikely event that the Chief Executive, or any other senior member of staff, had so little to do that they look into why a claim might have been suspended for a couple of days, they wouldn't even tell a member of the public, much less involve them In an iinvestigation into staff. Doing so would be a breach of terms and conditions, union agreements and quite conceivably data protection as well.
    Originally posted by sangie595
    I wouldnt possibly know anything about this but I would GUESS that most chief exec complaints are drafted by staff/managers/PA's in fact, anyone BUT the Chief Exec...

As a lowly customer service officer in my yoof I certainly NEVER sent any responses for the chief exec to sign, EVER....
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 6th Jul 18, 4:25 PM
    • 16,810 Posts
    • 41,500 Thanks
    FBaby
    Bills addressed to 'the occupier', a returned letter to 'not at this address', the occupier not wanting to have their name on the bills, and the Council that wouldn't negotiate for weeks suddenly agrees to reinstate without further questions just because OP complains... that doesn't sound fishy at all!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,191Posts Today

9,385Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin