Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kumamanu
    • By kumamanu 5th Jul 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kumamanu
    New job, New driver, Second hand or Hire purchase?
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:09 PM
    New job, New driver, Second hand or Hire purchase? 5th Jul 18 at 2:09 PM
    I'm 18 and starting my new job on 18k a year in September. I need a car to get to my job efficiently. My parent advised me to purchase new but looking around i'm being told that second hand is safest. However most of the online sources i've looked at seem to be based on the fact that the parent is purchasing it. If i am paying for the car in it entirety on my own should i go for second hand or new on hire purchase?
    Bonus points if you have car suggestions?
    thanks!
Page 2
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 6th Jul 18, 2:05 PM
    • 8,390 Posts
    • 7,720 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Definitely go used, find something horribly uncool (like the sort of thing your gran would like) for under 1000 that is in decent condition and has bearable insurance. Insurance will likely be the most expensive part on that mileage, age and in London.

Stick some money aside for repairs and upgrades, then when it fails it's MOT eventually, or you've got a big enough savings pot and some no claims discount behind you, you can upgrade to something nice.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 7th Jul 18, 2:28 AM
    • 2,084 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Your insurance premiums on a new car at 18 are likely to be astronomical. Have you run any quotes?

Secondarily (well this is a moneysaving site), great work on getting a job, but 18k per annum does not afford a new car lifestyle, financially.

Get a run around with a reputation for bomb proof reliability, that you aren't going to be too upset at dinking on a bollard or five while you're learning to not be a learner driver, use it for a few years then see where you are financially.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806307982275?postcode=bd63xe&make=NISSAN&advert ising-location=at_cars&sort=sponsored&model=ALMERA&onese archad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=N ew&radius=1501&page=1
    Originally posted by Arklight
    Not that bloody Almera again!
    • Slubberd
    • By Slubberd 7th Jul 18, 2:25 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Slubberd
    Honda Jazz - very popular with retirees as ultra reliable and bomb proof. Get one with a fsh - alot of them have had extended warranties on them with Honda - these are great as have been really looked after and have all their stamps. Very fuel efficient - very nippy - very reliable - great on insurance. You could easily pick up a 10 year old one for 1500. Small car but many dont have them as a first car because of the "retiree" connection.

I like them personally.

Mate - do not buy a new car at your age. You'll be gutted if you wreck it. You scratch or dent it second hand - big nubs innit? Also second hand cars now are different from second hands cars 10-20 years ago - they are much more reliable.

Let us know what you decide.
    • Slubberd
    • By Slubberd 7th Jul 18, 2:33 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Slubberd
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804175628399?sort=price-asc&postcode=sw118ah&make=HONDA&radius=50&advertis ing-location=at_cars&price-from=1500&onesearchad=Used&model=JAZZ&page=1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,269Posts Today

7,929Users online

Martin's Twitter