Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tomlambert
    • By tomlambert 5th Jul 18, 1:35 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tomlambert
    New homeowner high electricity bill - advice please
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:35 PM
    New homeowner high electricity bill - advice please 5th Jul 18 at 1:35 PM
    Hello, Thanks in advance for reading my post.

I've just bought my first apartment and I thought I had setup all my utility and council tax accounts for the new place. I've been in since December so its been about 6 months in total.

I rang up SSE to find out why I hadn't had a bill and they told me that the new account had never been setup, asked me when I had moved in and for the meter readings from then and now, and then sent me a bill for 1,073.

This seems high to me and its probably because I'm was forced onto their standard tariff, with the unhelpful custom services rep stating that he couldn't put me on a lower tariff in hindsight only for future bills, and it was my responsibility to ring them and setup the account which I've failed to do.

I do agree that I forgot to do this so its kinda my fault, but is responsibility really implied? I don't want to get out of paying the bill I just think it would be fair to use a normal lower tariff rather than the inflated standard tariff.

Do you guys agree or should I just be quiet and pay it. It would be 166 per month for a 2 bed flat (electricity only).

Thank youuu!
Page 2
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 6th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,278 Thanks
    mije1983
    OP
    Did you take the reading when you moved in?
    Originally posted by notbritishgas
    I'm assuming so as they said...

asked me when I had moved in and for the meter readings from then and now, and then sent me a bill for 1,073.
    Originally posted by tomlambert
    So it seems like the bill is based on actual readings the OP supplied.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

768Posts Today

5,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin