Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tomlambert
    • By tomlambert 5th Jul 18, 1:35 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tomlambert
    New homeowner high electricity bill - advice please
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:35 PM
    New homeowner high electricity bill - advice please 5th Jul 18 at 1:35 PM
    Hello, Thanks in advance for reading my post.

I've just bought my first apartment and I thought I had setup all my utility and council tax accounts for the new place. I've been in since December so its been about 6 months in total.

I rang up SSE to find out why I hadn't had a bill and they told me that the new account had never been setup, asked me when I had moved in and for the meter readings from then and now, and then sent me a bill for £1,073.

This seems high to me and its probably because I'm was forced onto their standard tariff, with the unhelpful custom services rep stating that he couldn't put me on a lower tariff in hindsight only for future bills, and it was my responsibility to ring them and setup the account which I've failed to do.

I do agree that I forgot to do this so its kinda my fault, but is responsibility really implied? I don't want to get out of paying the bill I just think it would be fair to use a normal lower tariff rather than the inflated standard tariff.

Do you guys agree or should I just be quiet and pay it. It would be £166 per month for a 2 bed flat (electricity only).

Thank youuu!
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 5th Jul 18, 1:53 PM
    • 6,632 Posts
    • 4,256 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:53 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:53 PM

I've just bought my first apartment and I thought I had setup all my utility and council tax accounts for the new place. I've been in since December so its been about 6 months in total.

I rang up SSE to find out why I hadn't had a bill and they told me that the new account had never been setup, asked me when I had moved in and for the meter readings from then and now, and then sent me a bill for £1,073.

This seems high to me and its probably because I'm was forced onto their standard tariff, with the unhelpful custom services rep stating that he couldn't put me on a lower tariff in hindsight only for future bills, and it was my responsibility to ring them and setup the account which I've failed to do.

I do agree that I forgot to do this so its kinda my fault, but is responsibility really implied? I don't want to get out of paying the bill I just think it would be fair to use a normal lower tariff rather than the inflated standard tariff.

Do you guys agree or should I just be quiet and pay it. It would be £166 per month for a 2 bed flat (electricity only).

Thank youuu!
    Originally posted by tomlambert
    Many years ago, the Government brought in Deemed Contracts to ensure that when people moved into a property they didnít have to wait 3 weeks to go onto supply. As suppliers are not allowed to place consumers on a fixed term contract without explicit consent, then the default position is the high cost SVT. The onus was on you to contact the supplier with your details and a meter reading when you moved in. I am afraid that you may have to put this one down to experience.
    • notbritishgas
    • By notbritishgas 5th Jul 18, 2:14 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    notbritishgas
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:14 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:14 PM
    OP
    Did you take the reading when you moved in?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    • 65,004 Posts
    • 381,490 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    Irrespective of the tariff, that seems high to me in any case if it's "just you, just a flat, just 6 months".

That'd be £180/month!
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 5th Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 2,137 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:59 PM

Thank you!
    I agree - why not encourage customers from day 1 - they then become regulars and the business saves the cost of this "churn" as they loose existing customers and have to seek new ones.

And I have always thought that this idea of a standard tariff once a fix has finished was daft as it was inviting their customer to look elsewhere. There does seem to be a move now for suppliers to put customers once they their contract finishes onto its "best" tariff. Flow is one - there may be others.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • r2015
    • By r2015 5th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    r2015
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    Why don't we go back to what it was before privitisation? only one tariff.
    over 72 but not over the hill.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    Why don't we go back to what it was before privitisation? only one tariff.
    Originally posted by r2015

I assume you are drunk becuase this was never the case.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    OP
    Did you take the reading when you moved in?
    Originally posted by notbritishgas

Pretty much this. If you did not you are probably paying the previous tennants usage. And probably deserve to.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    Irrespective of the tariff, that seems high to me in any case if it's "just you, just a flat, just 6 months".

That'd be £180/month!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

WE have no idea which months so whio knows it might be reasonable. Hot water costs a lot more on electric.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jul 18, 4:38 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Carrot007
    And I have always thought that this idea of a standard tariff once a fix has finished was daft as it was inviting their customer to look elsewhere. There does seem to be a move now for suppliers to put customers once they their contract finishes onto its "best" tariff. Flow is one - there may be others.
    Originally posted by Robin9

You do understand that the only reason any of us get cheaper tarrifs is that idiots get put onto standard tarrifs?

Putting contract enders of "best" (it is not the best BTW, but not the worst), tarrif just put the prices up for the rest of us.

How altruistist are you?
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 5th Jul 18, 4:46 PM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 28,646 Thanks
    thriftylass
    WE have no idea which months so whio knows it might be reasonable. Hot water costs a lot more on electric.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Yes we do "I've been in since December so its been about 6 months in total. "
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 5th Jul 18, 4:47 PM
    • 36,244 Posts
    • 46,699 Thanks
    McKneff
    n

Pretty much this. If you did not you are probably paying the previous tennants usage. And probably deserve to.
    Thats really uncalled for

Behave and be nice
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • r2015
    • By r2015 5th Jul 18, 5:49 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    r2015
    I assume you are drunk because this was never the case.
    Are you sure?
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jul 18, 7:04 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Carrot007
    n

Thats really uncalled for

Behave and be nice
    Originally posted by McKneff

I am never fully serious!
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jul 18, 7:05 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Are you sure?

Yes, one trarrif per metering type maybe. One tarrif no.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jul 18, 7:06 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Yes we do "I've been in since December so its been about 6 months in total. "
    Originally posted by thriftylass

And the monthly meter readings are provided where?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 5th Jul 18, 7:17 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 2,137 Thanks
    Robin9
    You do understand that the only reason any of us get cheaper tarrifs is that idiots get put onto standard tarrifs?
    Having a bad day are we Carrot ? Just because some of us keep our eyes and ears open doesn't make the rest of the population "idiots"
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • r2015
    • By r2015 6th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    r2015
    When I first left home and started married life in my own home in 1968, if you had a, what was known in these days, as a dry meter, now known as a credit meter, you had one tariff and paid your bill every 3 months in the Hydro electric shop.

No DDs in those days.

If you were poor and couldn't afford that, you had a prepayment meter into which you put half crowns and every 3 months a man would come and empty the meter and give you some half crowns back.

When I was a boy it was a shilling.

So OK there might not have been 1 tariff but there was only 1 tariff for prepayment and only 1 tariff for credit meters not like the hundreds that there are now.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Jul 18, 4:26 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,508 Thanks
    Smodlet
    When I first left home and started married life in my own home in 1968, if you had a, what was known in these days, as a dry meter, now known as a credit meter, you had one tariff and paid your bill every 3 months in the Hydro electric shop.

No DDs in those days.

If you were poor and couldn't afford that, you had a prepayment meter into which you put half crowns and every 3 months a man would come and empty the meter and give you some half crowns back.

When I was a boy it was a shilling.

So OK there might not have been 1 tariff but there was only 1 tariff for prepayment and only 1 tariff for credit meters not like the hundreds that there are now.

Them were't days, tha knows, when't stegosaurus rormed majestically across t'plains.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 6th Jul 18, 9:16 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,522 Thanks
    ValiantSon

Thank youuu!
    The standard variable tarrif is the "normal" tarrif. I'm afraid that you are just going to have to chalk this one up to eperience and pay the bill.
    Last edited by ValiantSon; 06-07-2018 at 9:19 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,633Posts Today

8,611Users online

Martin's Twitter