Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maz0508
    • By Maz0508 5th Jul 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Maz0508
    Extreamely slow broadband - nobody wants to help
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:34 PM
    Extreamely slow broadband - nobody wants to help 5th Jul 18 at 1:34 PM
    Hello. New to the forum and need some advice.

Our broadband speed is extremely slow - last night it was 0.1mb downloaded speed. On average it is anything between 5 and 10mb.

All the network providers I speak to don't want to get involved and nobody wants to promise anything faster. I think the slow speed is down to the fact that we are quite far away from the exchange cabinet.

Today I called and emailed Openreach infrastructure to ask if they could move us to a cabinet that is 150 yards away but their immediate response was NO and go and speak to your network provider.

I feel like I'm going round in circles and not getting anywhere. I am desperate!

Thank you

Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 5th Jul 18, 2:08 PM
    • 6,596 Posts
    • 4,232 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:08 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:08 PM
    Hi - welcome to the forum. You might wish to re-post your question in the broadband section of Phones or TV.

Might I also suggest that you sign up with:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com

or

https://forum.kitz.co.uk

These forums have experts to hand who are better able to deal with technical queries.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jul 18, 2:28 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 1,471 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:28 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:28 PM
    I think the slow speed is down to the fact that we are quite far away from the exchange cabinet.

Today I called and emailed Openreach infrastructure to ask if they could move us to a cabinet that is 150 yards away but their immediate response was NO and go and speak to your network provider.
    Originally posted by Maz0508

Well yes, openreach do not deal with end consumers.

Also the cabinet and the exchange are different things.

You sound like you have ADSL so the caninet means nothing. It's the exchange that counts.

For many places ADSL is useless, can you not get FTTC where the cabinet counts? I would get 0.1 on ADSL around here. I get 60 on FTTC.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 5th Jul 18, 2:31 PM
    • 5,183 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:31 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:31 PM
    Hello. New to the forum and need some advice.

Our broadband speed is extremely slow - last night it was 0.1mb downloaded speed. On average it is anything between 5 and 10mb.

All the network providers I speak to don't want to get involved and nobody wants to promise anything faster. I think the slow speed is down to the fact that we are quite far away from the exchange cabinet.

I feel like I'm going round in circles and not getting anywhere. I am desperate!

Thank you

Originally posted by Maz0508

If you normally get between 5-10 Mb and are now getting only 0.1Mb it is likely that you have a fault somewhere.
    Do you use the phoneline for calls? If so, dial 17070 and select option 2. Do you hear any extraneous noise ? If so, then approach your phone line provider first reporting a voice fault. If the line is quiet then you need to talk to your broadband provider. There are guides online for checking the statistics on the broadband router -such results can give you a steer to the likely issue.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 1,471 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    If you normally get between 5-10 Mb and are now getting only 0.1Mb it is likely that you have a fault somewhere.
    Originally posted by brewerdave

A possible option.

Also you might be on a useless provider and have crap service at busy times (dependant maybe on the area or maybe just in general). Do tell us you you are with for comments.

I agree phone line issues is always easier to get them out for as the front line (tip: dont use the phone, use the net team) are briefed to tell you internet issues are yours and would not be able to breathe if it was not in their script. (really many operatives died before they added breathing prompts in the script).
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 5th Jul 18, 6:21 PM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 67,781 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:21 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:21 PM
    Try plugging the router directly into the phone socket without a filter - see if there's any difference.

If you have a filter plugged in to the phone socket, try changing it.

Also try replacing the cable between the socket and the modem if you have a spare.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 6th Jul 18, 9:02 AM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:02 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:02 AM
    Do you use the phoneline for calls? If so, dial 17070 and select option 2. Do you hear any extraneous noise ? If so, then approach your phone line provider first reporting a voice fault. If the line is quiet then you need to talk to your broadband provider. There are guides online for checking the statistics on the broadband router -such results can give you a steer to the likely issue.
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    I have exactly the same issues. sometimes I drop well below 1 mbps , other times its up to the maximum my line can support, around 8 mbps.
    Surely if it was a line fault the speed would nt be varying so much. If its good enough to reach 8mb then its ok in general
    Personally I think its because Plusnet are throttling back at busy times and at the same time pushing me to buy a faster fibre cable at a higher price. Sometimes my connection is so slow I can t even do a broadband speed check to complain about lousy service to Plusnet.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Jul 18, 9:15 AM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:15 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:15 AM
    IF it is 0.1 Mb all the time, not just at busy times, it could be your provider limiting your speed because you are late paying your bill. Just a possibility. It takes a couple of mouse clicks for them to do that.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Jul 18, 9:36 AM
    • 5,183 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:36 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:36 AM
    I have exactly the same issues. sometimes I drop well below 1 mbps , other times its up to the maximum my line can support, around 8 mbps.
    Surely if it was a line fault the speed would nt be varying so much. If its good enough to reach 8mb then its ok in general
    Personally I think its because Plusnet are throttling back at busy times and at the same time pushing me to buy a faster fibre cable at a higher price. Sometimes my connection is so slow I can t even do a broadband speed check to complain about lousy service to Plusnet.
    Originally posted by House Martin

If its varying on a day to day basis ,then most likely to be local exchange congestion - I don't believe PN throttle unless the bill hasn't been paid -I read the original post to mean that in the past he had up to 10Mb, but now he was getting 0.1Mb consistently. But since he hasn't logged on since his first post there is no way to tell!
    • oldwiring
    • By oldwiring 6th Jul 18, 11:22 PM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    oldwiring
    Try plugging the router directly into the phone socket without a filter - see if there's any difference.

If you have a filter plugged in to the phone socket, try changing it.

Also try replacing the cable between the socket and the modem if you have a spare.
    Originally posted by D_M_E
    I hope what is meant is the test socket, as that would exclude anything bad the OP's side of BT's demarcation point.

OP could give more info, if not here, to Kitz Forum. I suggest getting info about connection from ADSL checker using number, but redacted iif resultant info is to be posted here., or Kitz
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

3,110Users online

Martin's Twitter