Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thing22
    • By Thing22 5th Jul 18, 12:49 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Thing22
    Parking in Disabled Bay
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:49 PM
    Parking in Disabled Bay 5th Jul 18 at 12:49 PM
    Hello everyone,

Before I begin my question, I just want to say that I have read through the amazing Newbie's document and it has been very enlightening.

However, the reason I am creating a thread and turning to you for advise is because I have searched through a lot of recent posts and I cannot find anything helpful to assist in my situation. But please forgive me if there is something helpful and I have just glanced over it!!

The driver of the car in question received a PCN from UKCPS for parking in a disabled bay with no valid badge displayed.
    The driver is not disabled, but parked here as they quickly ran into a shop to get something.
    Yes this is a massive faux pas and the driver hangs their head in shame at this.

Now from what I have read from older posts, UKCPS do seem to pursue such charges as it is a ?easy win for them if it goes to court.

Also given the logic of the situation, do we have a leg to stand on?
    Should the fine just be paid and we move on with life with a lesson learned?
    Or should we "ignore it and ignore it some more"? (the only issue with this is that we live very busy lives and a court summons etc would make life complicated)

Your valuable advice regarding the above would be greatly appreciated!
    And once again, if this is me being a huge newbie and there is clear advice re this, I apologise in advance!
Page 1
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 5th Jul 18, 1:03 PM
    • 8,394 Posts
    • 7,724 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:03 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:03 PM
    Whilst parking in a disabled space is bad; why should a private company profit from it?

Fight it - all the usual appeal points apply. What does the signage say about parking in disabled bays? Do they have the right to pursue it? Do they know the keeper?
    Presumably, if the driver wasn't away long, a parking weasel stood and watched them park, leave, and ran over with a ticket - when they could have told the driver not to park there.

When you win, you can always give the 'fine' money to a charity rather than the pockets of some scam artists.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 5th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    • 37,745 Posts
    • 84,765 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    The advice to ignore has not been given here since the law changed in 2012.

It is not a fine.

Of course your shouldn't pay a scammer.

Please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES then send the template appeal you will find there.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 5th Jul 18, 1:27 PM
    • 63,872 Posts
    • 76,517 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:27 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:27 PM
    Should the fine just be paid and we move on with life with a lesson learned?
    No. On principle, their conduct overall is FAR WORSE than any driver.
    Or should we "ignore it and ignore it some more"? (the only issue with this is that we live very busy lives and a court summons etc would make life complicated)
    Yes, sorry to say that is the advice, come back if they try a small claim.

You may be better just ignoring it and not sending an 'appeal' now.

I hope the driver will never park like that again. I wish UKCPS would never issue a PCN again but that's unlikely to happen any time soon!
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 05-07-2018 at 1:43 PM.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 5th Jul 18, 1:37 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:37 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:37 PM
    I'm in the minority here and say pay it - if your time is valuable.

Many people spend about 10-20 hours on cases plus have a day/half-day in court. Financially not worthwhile but they usually have a point to prove and principles to uphold.

From your description and judging it only on that, you are bang to rights so should make a financial decision about the time you want to spend.
    If you want to win - avoid losing first. Here are a few examples
    1. Failing to Acknowledge or Defend https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5760415
    2. Template defences that say nothing https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818671&page=5#86
    3. Forgetting about the Witness Statement
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 5th Jul 18, 1:43 PM
    • 63,872 Posts
    • 76,517 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:43 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:43 PM
    Yes but yes but...it's UKCPS, who are not worthy. It's like paying an email scammer.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

243Posts Today

2,112Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin