Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 5th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 141Posts
    • 277Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    Fixing Today for a Brighter Tomorrow!
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    Fixing Today for a Brighter Tomorrow! 5th Jul 18 at 11:56 AM
    I've been in debt for the entirety of my adult life, through student loans, overdraft and then credit cardsÖ There is no real reason for it other than living a lifestyle outside of my means and being overly generous with my friends and family. I love to treat other people to meals, days out etc. Particularly my partner who doesn't earn as much as me. I donít want to disappoint.

It's not all bad though - in the midst of this we have managed to buy a flat where we live together with a reasonable monthly mortgage payment. Last summer we got engaged (woohoo) in New York (where I took my partner on holiday for his 30th birthday - a trip I could not afford).

I came back home with grand wedding dreams and realised if I had even a chance of making this a reality, I would need to seriously knuckle down and sort out my finances.

My total credit card debt was as follows:

CC1 £2120.60
    CC2 £3329.99
    TOTAL - £5360.59

In the past year I have made great inroads into this balance - mainly through careful budgeting, although I have had a small pay rise and used my annual bonus to clear CC1. That was an amazing feeling.

The balance as of today:

CC2 £2035 on a 0%

My wedding is in June of 2019 so I have one year to clear this balance. It is totally achievable but the reason for starting this diary is that as I get closer to my goal, instead of feeling more motivated, I'm beginning to flag. I've completed one year of living frugally and saving every penny - it starts to get a bit wearing. I am tired of giving away MY money today for things that I did or ate or used 2 years ago. I have to constantly remind myself how depressing that is so I never get in this situation again.

I went through my credit card statements line by line so I can see exactly what I'm still paying for.
    It's painful! But in 12 months time I can't wait to proudly announce I am DEBT FREE.

Any advice you can give to keep me on this path would be massively appreciated.

Best Wishes,
    SaF x
    Starting over again...
    CC1: £0 / £1144.58
Page 6
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 12th Nov 19, 2:55 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    So today was a slip up. I was freezing on a train platform and "treated myself" to a gingerbread latte and some cake. £6.15!! It's outrageous. I'd been doing so well at filling my flask and packing snacks but today I seemed to be lacking in motivation. I'm not sure what's come over me but I need to nip it in the bud sharpish!
    Starting over again...
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 13th Nov 19, 11:33 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    Quick update - expenses are due back to me on Friday and that will be going straight into the credit card. I'm making great progress on Christmas shopping and staying well under budget (so far). Grabbed some boring "kids-lunch" today to stop me getting tempted into the shops - sandwich, crisps & a fruit pot. Just knuckling down for the rest of the month until next pay day (ho-hum). I could really do with a new big coat (the zip on mine has broken) but I'm trying to manage for as long as possible. Adding that to the list with the new gloves!!
    Starting over again...
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 18th Nov 19, 3:28 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    So, I have over-food-shopped this month so far and have now only got £17.11 left in the budget for the rest of the month! I can take some cash back from other pots if I have to but I do like a challenge…

I've been browsing the Jack website for bargain meals and I am going to try to empty out the store cupboard and see if I can last out 'til pay day. I see a lot of lentils, beans & chickpeas in my future.

The meals I plan to make are:
    Bean goulash, spicy bean soup, sausage casserole, omelette, mushroom risotto, pasta & cheese, beef black bean & mandarin stew, white bean risotto, peach & chickpea curry. I'm going to double up on portion sizes so I have lunches for work as well.

Totally cheap and cheerful. I will keep you updated with how I get on.

P.s. paid some expenses off the CC - balance updated
    Starting over again...
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 30th Dec 19, 1:47 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    I hope everyone is well and had a wonderful Christmas.

I've had a lovely break, spent some time with family and received some very generous gifts.
    I don't think I'll need to buy another toiletry item for at least 6 months!!

I am also very pleased and proud to say that the credit card is cleared again. Hurra!!
    Going into 2020 debt free (except for my mortgage and car lease). We are planning to move house so all of my pennies will now be pushed in that direction.

I want to wish everyone a happy, healthy (&MSE) New Year!
    SaF x
    Starting over again...
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 15th Jan 20, 10:08 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    Started 2020 with no credit card debt and no overdraft!!
    Just the car to pay off which we are debating at the moment - buy out or hand back? Hmmm....
    Starting over again...
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 15th Jan 20, 10:12 AM
    • 1,975 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Started 2020 with no credit card debt and no overdraft!!
    Just the car to pay off which we are debating at the moment - buy out or hand back? Hmmm....
    Originally posted by SavingAFuture
    Congrats
    Bad Debts Busted: 10/10
    NSD Target: 14/20
    VSP #12 £17.12
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,174Posts Today

5,649Users online

Martin's Twitter