Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 5th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 25Posts
    • 58Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    Fixing Today for a Brighter Tomorrow!
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    Fixing Today for a Brighter Tomorrow! 5th Jul 18 at 11:56 AM
    I've been in debt for the entirety of my adult life, through student loans, overdraft and then credit cardsÖ There is no real reason for it other than living a lifestyle outside of my means and being overly generous with my friends and family. I love to treat other people to meals, days out etc. Particularly my partner who doesn't earn as much as me. I donít want to disappoint.

It's not all bad though - in the midst of this we have managed to buy a flat where we live together with a reasonable monthly mortgage payment. Last summer we got engaged (woohoo) in New York (where I took my partner on holiday for his 30th birthday - a trip I could not afford).

I came back home with grand wedding dreams and realised if I had even a chance of making this a reality, I would need to seriously knuckle down and sort out my finances.

My total credit card debt was as follows:

CC1 £2120.60
    CC2 £3329.99
    TOTAL - £5360.59

In the past year I have made great inroads into this balance - mainly through careful budgeting, although I have had a small pay rise and used my annual bonus to clear CC1. That was an amazing feeling.

The balance as of today:

CC2 £2035 on a 0%

My wedding is in June of 2019 so I have one year to clear this balance. It is totally achievable but the reason for starting this diary is that as I get closer to my goal, instead of feeling more motivated, I'm beginning to flag. I've completed one year of living frugally and saving every penny - it starts to get a bit wearing. I am tired of giving away MY money today for things that I did or ate or used 2 years ago. I have to constantly remind myself how depressing that is so I never get in this situation again.

I went through my credit card statements line by line so I can see exactly what I'm still paying for.
    It's painful! But in 12 months time I can't wait to proudly announce I am DEBT FREE.

Any advice you can give to keep me on this path would be massively appreciated.

Best Wishes,
    SaF x
    Proudly on my debt free journey
    ~August NSD 4/12~
    CC1: £0/2120.60 CC2: £1800/£3239.99
Page 2
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 9th Aug 18, 10:37 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    I've just signed up for a Monzo account. I think it will be really useful for me to have my spending money in a completely separate place to my bills so I can see exactly how much I have left to spend instead of estimating. Then I can allocate my pocket money weekly and keep tabs on my frivolous ways!

Is anyone else doing this, and it is a success?
    ~August NSD 4/12~
    • ftbwannabe
    • By ftbwannabe 9th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    ftbwannabe
    I love Monzo! I look at it every day as though it's a fun app, not a banking app! Some of the features they're trying (like summary) aren't totally reliable, but the longer I use it (this is month 3 for me) the better it gets at both improving features & working with how I spend. The pots have been BRILLIANT for keeping bits of money aside, I have been able to go out at the end of the month (instead of hiding in my flat, broke) because I put money in a pot for an event & didn't touch it. I use a mix of the Budget & Pots to track & manage what I spent.
    Possibly got a bit nerdy there, sorry... basically, I think you'll like it & I found it really helpful. It makes my spending and saving really visible, & accountable.
    Debt Free Wannabe since 1st August 18
    CC1: £100.83/£8,839.83 | CC2: £79.47/£1079.23 | CC3: £182.92/£182.92 | CC4 £100/£2446.33 CC5 £0/£4280
    Student Loan 1: £83.28/£656.92 Student Loan 2: £25.51/808.60
    Total Repayments: £572.01/£17,472 | Outstanding Debt: £1689.99
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 9th Aug 18, 1:07 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    Thanks ftbwannabe! Thatís really helpful.
    Iím so excited to get my card now and get started
    ~August NSD 4/12~
    • moneycantbuyyouhappiness
    • By moneycantbuyyouhappiness 9th Aug 18, 1:49 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    moneycantbuyyouhappiness
    I second what ftwannabe says. Monzo awesome it really does help me budget. I love the pots too.

I've just enabled the roundup function on my savings pot too! Which rounds up your purchases to the nearest pound and automatically puts the rest into a pot of your choice!
    Last edited by moneycantbuyyouhappiness; 09-08-2018 at 2:00 PM.
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 11th Aug 18, 10:56 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    So my Monzo card has arrived! It's so bright and beautiful!
    I've transferred the money I'm allowed to spend between now and the end of the month. I am excited to not spend it haha. In fact, I need to not spend it. I'm trying to have 12 NSDs this month but have only managed 3 so far. Must try harder.
    I've started doing surveys online too so I can try to pick up a little bit more cash. Every little helps right?
    SaF x
    ~August NSD 4/12~
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 11th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    Update - I just paid an extra £35 off my CC because the odd balance was bugging me!
    £1800 looks much more nice and round than £1835
    ~August NSD 4/12~
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

18Posts Today

4,623Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin