Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nomaddjs
    • By nomaddjs 5th Jul 18, 11:35 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 5Thanks
    nomaddjs
    Standard charge more than doubled with SSE
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:35 AM
    Standard charge more than doubled with SSE 5th Jul 18 at 11:35 AM
    Just received a letter that informs me that SSE have increased prices unbeknownst to me in May. The new tariff has gone up slightly but my standing charge is going up from 14.8p to 30.41p for electricity and from 14.8p to 28.31p for gas. That is 106.28 extra a year. Madness.

Has anyone had a similar letter?
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 5th Jul 18, 11:44 AM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:44 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:44 AM
    The important bit is how the total of standing charge and units plus VAT compares with the other the other suppliers.

The SSE deal may still be better than someone who put their units up more and the standing charge less.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • nomaddjs
    • By nomaddjs 5th Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    nomaddjs
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    I have very low consumption, thus with this price hike in the standing charge, 45% of my total bill is now going to be the standing charge.

I'll need to do my research and see if I could be far better off elsewhere.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 5th Jul 18, 12:25 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:25 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:25 PM
    Standard Tariffs (if that is what you are on) is the most expensive.

Much cheaper to be on a 1 year or 2 year deal. (you wouldn't of had an increase then)
    • Jockeyjames
    • By Jockeyjames 5th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jockeyjames
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    I had the same! one of my friends works for Eon and said they screw people each year on the standard charges. Switching every year seems the only option these days!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 5th Jul 18, 12:38 PM
    • 5,378 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:38 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:38 PM
    I am going to shout.

WHY ARE YOU ON SVR!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Coughing does not stop a Cardiac Arrest! Statins have not cured any electrical faults!
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 5th Jul 18, 12:43 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:43 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:43 PM
    We don't know that he is.

I'm on a SSE Gas Collective Year 1 v4 and that has a SC of 14.8 inc VAT as per OP

PS About to change to Zog
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 5th Jul 18, 1:02 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:02 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:02 PM
    But yours hasn't gone up !
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 5th Jul 18, 1:12 PM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:12 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:12 PM
    Just received a letter that informs me that SSE have increased prices unbeknownst to me in May. The new tariff has gone up slightly but my standing charge is going up from 14.8p to 30.41p for electricity and from 14.8p to 28.31p for gas. That is 106.28 extra a year. Madness.

Has anyone had a similar letter?
    Originally posted by nomaddjs
    Nothing "mad " about that standing charge rate. Around 30 p a day is about normal for most of the big 6.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jul 18, 1:15 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 1,341 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Originally posted by AndyPK

But many people coming to the end of a fixed deal are seeing tyhe standing charge double too. Mine did last time but it is nothing to me as a normal-high user.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 5th Jul 18, 1:23 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    Robin9
    Originally posted by AndyPK

My collective fix v4 actually ends next week - I am offered another collective v6 and that has the same 28.21 as the OP

That's why I am switching.
    • pinkmouse
    • By pinkmouse 5th Jul 18, 7:12 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    pinkmouse
    I got a letter as well. The standing charge on the energy assist tariff more than doubled as well so now I!!!8217;m going to Bulb :-)
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 5th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    • 6,146 Posts
    • 3,938 Thanks
    Hengus
    As a general principle, tariffs with a high daily standing charge and low unit price suit high energy users; conversely, tariffs with a low or zero daily standing charge along with a high unit price suit low energy users. As others have said, what matters is an accurate projection of annual usage in kWhs/year and the total annual cost.
    • Kev27
    • By Kev27 6th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    Kev27
    I also recieved the letter from the cheeky thieving swines. Im quite a low user and was wondering if anyone has jumped ship yet and who did you go with?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 7th Jul 18, 8:17 AM
    • 6,146 Posts
    • 3,938 Thanks
    Hengus
    I also recieved the letter from the cheeky thieving swines. Im quite a low user and was wondering if anyone has jumped ship yet and who did you go with?
    Originally posted by Kev27
    Price rises are never welcome but I am not sure that accusing a supplier of being 'cheeky thieving swines' is that helpful. Even Ofgem has had to admit that the price of energy has increased as a result of increases in wholesale cost (the wholesale cost now equates to 38p in every ) and increases in other costs imposed by the Grid and the Government (52p in every ). Suppliers will adjust their tariffs with a particular group of customers in mind which they want to retain and attract. As you have concluded, they are apparently not keen to retain your business.

My advice: have a look at separate suppliers. Zog is excellent for gas and I have not had any issues with Bulb or Octopus for electricity.
    • jjackdog123
    • By jjackdog123 9th Jul 18, 12:11 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jjackdog123
    Hi yes I had a letter telling me that they had not told me that the fuel prices were going up, I am shocked at the standing charge being almost doubled, I have found cheaper online but I am an aged pensioner and have energy assist with them, how can myself and others like me change? the other companies that have the warm home tariff are not taking anymore people on, does that mean if they aren't registered with a company, or even if you are registered you have to re register with the company you want to go with, and there is no guarantee of acceptance, anybody help with this Please.
    • jjackdog123
    • By jjackdog123 14th Jul 18, 12:31 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jjackdog123
    I received same letter
    I have received the same letter, I am on energy assist, I recently received a phone call asking me to have a smart metre which I refused (I am frugal with my fuel consumption) as the said letter arrived on my door mat shortly after the call, I am positive that this price hike is because a smart metre was refused, would be very interesting to see if the same has happened to others. I am an older pensioner, I do not have internet banking or smart phones fibre broadband my meters are outside, so how is it going to help me? the government say they are not compulsory so why if a customer refuses to have one installed are they fining companies, who then pass all the charges onto us. Not a well thought out programme, a friend supposedly had one fitted in her house (in the wilds of Wales) changed elec supplier only to be told that no such meter had been installed!
    :
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 14th Jul 18, 9:26 AM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Coincidence. Fuel rises and meter pushing is common at present
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,972Posts Today

8,695Users online

Martin's Twitter