Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • neverlikedpeas
    • By neverlikedpeas 5th Jul 18, 11:28 AM
    • 215Posts
    • 5,515Thanks
    neverlikedpeas
    Overseas seller wants refund
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:28 AM
    Overseas seller wants refund 5th Jul 18 at 11:28 AM
    An American buyer paid 80 for a signed item in April of a celebrity who died in April.As is the case with most people who die the autograph shoots up in value when they die and then drops down to a fraction of that price two months later.

I get an email in July claiming its not a genuine autograph and they would like a refund.The buyer had been in possession of the item over two months and had one week left to open a paypal dispute.

The autograph is genuine, it was signed by the celebrity in person to me, but i can't prove that, i have 100% positive feedback on selling hundreds of similar items.Its just that the price on this one was far higher than normal due to the celebrities death.

Do i just have to refund them and take the loss? In my opinion we both know its a genuine autograph and the buyer (who sells items on) has gathered he has paid far too much
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 5th Jul 18, 11:39 AM
    • 12,327 Posts
    • 8,321 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:39 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:39 AM
    Is there a case open and if so on which platform?
    • neverlikedpeas
    • By neverlikedpeas 5th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 5,515 Thanks
    neverlikedpeas
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    The buyer has opened a dispute on paypal, I havent responded yet, the amount has been deducted from my paypal balance
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 5th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    • 12,327 Posts
    • 8,321 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    Paypal disputes require the buyer to send the item back tracked (viewable online) at the buyer's expense. However, this rule doesn't always apply when the case is for counterfeit goods.

Edit - link removed as it defaulted to the UK site.

Correct link https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US

The US do have a specific part regarding counterfeits:
    The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic (i.e. counterfeit).
    But they do not stipulate who needs to prove/disprove.

I suggest you upload your evidence showing the item is bonafide.
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 05-07-2018 at 12:17 PM.
    • neverlikedpeas
    • By neverlikedpeas 5th Jul 18, 12:14 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 5,515 Thanks
    neverlikedpeas
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:14 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:14 PM
    Cheers, the buyer asked for a return address (rather than the ebay international shipping address) to return the item to so i will refund and hope he sends.

The item is a signed menu from from a celebrity dinner I attended in 1989 and I have no way of proving that.It was on ebay for years at 14.99 starting price and suddenly attracted many bids on their death.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 5th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    • 5,417 Posts
    • 4,592 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    don't refund until you have it back surely?
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 5th Jul 18, 12:51 PM
    • 3,421 Posts
    • 1,947 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:51 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:51 PM
    If you refund now, they won't be required to return the item.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • neverlikedpeas
    • By neverlikedpeas 5th Jul 18, 12:59 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 5,515 Thanks
    neverlikedpeas
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:59 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:59 PM
    Thanks for advice, I will reply that i'm happy to refund when i receive the item back and see how that goes.
    • neverlikedpeas
    • By neverlikedpeas 19th Jul 18, 2:44 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 5,515 Thanks
    neverlikedpeas
    • 19th Jul 18, 2:44 AM
    • 19th Jul 18, 2:44 AM
    Thoughts please

On the 5th July the buyer agreed to return the item, I gave him my address.He said he would give tracking information when he posted it.

He didnt give tracking information when he posted it, I heard nothing from the seller until yesterday, I got a refund request yesterday via paypal and a tracking number.

The tracking number on the postal company website says "delivered" on 13 July.There is no address provided and there is no signature on the website.
    The item hasn't been delivered to me

I have not accepted the refund request and have opened a case.

Any idea of what is likely to happen.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 19th Jul 18, 8:04 AM
    • 15,849 Posts
    • 21,768 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    I would phone PayPal immediately and state you have not received the item back and you believe this to be a false tracking number as there is no address.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 19th Jul 18, 10:31 AM
    • 12,327 Posts
    • 8,321 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    What was the postal company website? Is it one from the UK? Is there anything else that you can use to show Paypal this isn't a bonafide tracking number?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,095Posts Today

6,822Users online

Martin's Twitter