Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kielo
    • By kielo 5th Jul 18, 8:18 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kielo
    Wine on wall - How to claim
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:18 AM
    Wine on wall - How to claim 5th Jul 18 at 8:18 AM
    Hi,

Yesterday, I opened a bottle of sparkling red wine and there are now lots of red wine stains all over the wall.

I tried to remove them but it looks like the only way will be to repaint it.

Is it something I can claim on my contents insurance? It includes renter's liability and personal liability.

If so, should I contact the insurance before I hire a painter or after?

Thanks
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jul 18, 8:20 AM
    • 64,272 Posts
    • 377,180 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:20 AM
    It's a bit of red wine on a wall.... tin of paint and a brush 5-10. No need to hire a painter, you're not going to do "a thoroughly good and thorough 2-3 coats and undercoat with cutting in" on it - just dab away at the area with one coat and that should be it (no particular need for the edges as it's not 20 year old paint that'll stand out as different).

No need for insurance..... your excess would be more.

Personally I'd have another go, first, at cleaning it off, using microfibre cloths and 3-4 "ways to clean..." suggestions from the Internet.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 5th Jul 18, 8:20 AM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    csgohan4
    you could save a lot of money and do it yourself, and you will save on contents insurance renewal as you won't have a claim on file.

Not to mention you will likely pay an excess which is likely the cost of a paint can
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 5th Jul 18, 8:20 AM
    • 94,520 Posts
    • 62,468 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Do you have accidental cover?
    Is the cost of repainting going to be that high vs the excess and increased premium due to claim?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Jul 18, 8:23 AM
    • 32,556 Posts
    • 20,486 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:23 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:23 AM
    I take it the stains are on the wall because the bottle was pointed towards the wall, I always try to open sparkling outside so it doesn't create a mess.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 5th Jul 18, 10:49 AM
    • 22,499 Posts
    • 11,103 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:49 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:49 AM
    As others first try cleaning tips from the internet, then paint.
    Your excess, plus penalties for claiming will outweigh the cost of the job.
    If you can't do the painting or some reason e.g. you are physically unable, then it still might be cheaper to pay an odd-job man or perhaps younger member of your family to do the job than claim from the insurance.

BTW - insuance might send in a professional cleaning company rather than painter anyway.
    • kielo
    • By kielo 5th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kielo
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    Thanks for your answers. This isn't my flat and I'm not a very good painter so I prefer to let a pro do it.

I will see how much it costs and decide whether to claim or not based on that.

P.S: I tried to delete the stains using various methods I found on the internet. The only thing that worked was Flash Magic Eraser. Unfortunately, it worked too well and also removed the paint.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 5th Jul 18, 10:06 PM
    • 9,522 Posts
    • 57,953 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:06 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:06 PM
    It's really simple to do, even though you say you can't paint, it's not a difficult job.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 6th Jul 18, 7:44 AM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:44 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:44 AM
    I find youtube as a good resource for DIY.

Don't forget claiming on your insurance means your premiums will be increased for a set period as you will deemed higher risk
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 6th Jul 18, 9:14 AM
    • 22,499 Posts
    • 11,103 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I'm not a very good painter

You're not being asked to do the mona lisa :-))
    Im finding it hard to see how you could wrong with a roller.
    The only issue I would see is matching.

But still I think a pro may be cheaper than an insurance claim.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 6th Jul 18, 12:43 PM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    csgohan4
    To be fair on the OP, painting was a new thing for me, took me a while to get used to it and find the best roller and paint for the job to reduce splatter, make sure you get dust sheets unless you don't mind replacing the carpets as well
    • Dangermac
    • By Dangermac 8th Jul 18, 11:07 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    Dangermac
    Hi,

Yesterday, I opened a bottle of sparkling red wine and there are now lots of red wine stains all over the wall.

I tried to remove them but it looks like the only way will be to repaint it.

Is it something I can claim on my contents insurance? It includes renter's liability and personal liability.

If so, should I contact the insurance before I hire a painter or after?

Thanks
    Originally posted by kielo

This is not a Contents Insurance claim. Walls do not form part of the Contents Insurance, unless the policy has some special clause/cover within it to do so, which would be unlikely.

May be a Liability claim against you (which may be covered as part of your Contents policy).

Will probably be much easier for you in the long run to simply repaint yourself or get someone in to do it for you. Personally, unless the cost is huge, I would avoid claiming for this.

DM
    • FlameCloud
    • By FlameCloud 9th Jul 18, 11:24 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    FlameCloud
    Are you based in the UK?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,084Posts Today

7,095Users online

Martin's Twitter