Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • atarisrocks
    • By atarisrocks 5th Jul 18, 5:48 AM
    • 557Posts
    • 3,044Thanks
    atarisrocks
    Builders flytipping.
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:48 AM
    Builders flytipping. 5th Jul 18 at 5:48 AM
    Not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post this.

A house on the street had a skip delivered yesterday and I was awoken to the sound of a builder fly tipping his building waste at 5am and in the last 30 mins another 2 builders have turned up and done the same.

Had the same happen with my skip 3 months ago even though it had a cover on it.

My street is not one that you drive down unless you need to.

How do builders know where skips are hours after it being delivered?
Page 1
    • jk0
    • By jk0 5th Jul 18, 6:36 AM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 25,657 Thanks
    jk0
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:36 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:36 AM
    I suspect someone at the skip company tips them off. What a nice little racket eh? Get paid to provide a skip to someone, get paid by your dodgy mates to tell you where it is, and then get paid for a second skip after your mates have filled the first?
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 5th Jul 18, 9:11 AM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 3,204 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:11 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:11 AM
    Sounds like it would be worth having skips delivered to an intermediate site, then (somehow) move it to the required address.
    • stator
    • By stator 5th Jul 18, 10:01 AM
    • 6,618 Posts
    • 4,461 Thanks
    stator
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:01 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:01 AM
    Did you take registration numbers and pass to the police and owner of the house?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • bris
    • By bris 5th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    • 8,074 Posts
    • 7,057 Thanks
    bris
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    Sounds like it would be worth having skips delivered to an intermediate site, then (somehow) move it to the required address.
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    Yea right, do you realise how hard it is to move a skip?

Getting a skip delivered and not filling it straight away is a rookie mistake. If you need time with a skip get one with a lid that locks up.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 5th Jul 18, 1:32 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 2,957 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:32 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:32 PM
    The problem with waste nowadays is that even householders doing DIY have to pay for their "building waste".
    Originally posted by ajak81
    Too true - I've taken to popping the odd bucket of waste in the bin. Usually the sweepings off the floor, so the debris tends to be a mix of small stuff. For larger quantities, I fill 1m³ dump bags (the type used for bulk sand). Had negotiated a price with a local grab hire firm to lift them at £20 per bag. Ended up using the material as hardcore under a shed base.

For anyone generating a large quantity of building waste that can be recycled - i.e. rubble, soil, lime plaster, etc, but not plasterboard or gypsum plaster - It may work out cheaper to use a grab hire truck.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 5th Jul 18, 11:58 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 2,957 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:58 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:58 PM
    Do you or does anybody know what's the problem or issue with plasterboard? Is it just plasterboard they have separated or is it plaster material which would include old lath and plaster/lime plaster etc
    Plasterboard and gypsum based plaster (usually the pink stuff) can not be put in general landfill. It reacts with organic matter and produces hydrogen sulphide. Virgin plasterboard (including the offcuts) can be recycled and used to make new PB sheets.

Old lime plaster is eminently recyclable, either by grinding up and mixing with fresh lime, or fed in to a kiln to produce new lime - Don't think anyone is geared up to do the latter in the UK. The laths can sometimes be reused, or they can be chopped up and used as kindling on a fire.

Old lime plaster & render can also be reused as hardcore or aggregate in non-critical concrete applications (e.g., shed bases).

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • atarisrocks
    • By atarisrocks 7th Jul 18, 8:34 AM
    • 557 Posts
    • 3,044 Thanks
    atarisrocks
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:34 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:34 AM
    Did you take registration numbers and pass to the police and owner of the house?
    Originally posted by stator
    Yeah took a video and photos as well.

Police said it a civil matter. The owners said they had the same response and the council said they can!!!8217;t identify the person even with a the number plate and a clear photo of him.

The thing I don!!!8217;t understand there is 2 dumps in a 5 mile radius both open 6 days a week until 8pm.

You can turn up in a van 6 times a year so 12 if you go to both for free then it is £2.50 and £4.50 a visit. Yet there is building waste and mattresses dumped across the city.
    Last edited by atarisrocks; 07-07-2018 at 8:44 AM.
    • casper_g
    • By casper_g 7th Jul 18, 8:59 AM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    casper_g
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:59 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:59 AM
    My council will collect old mattresses for free, but people still fly tip them in the street round the corner from me. Some people are just terrible human beings!
    • bris
    • By bris 7th Jul 18, 10:32 AM
    • 8,074 Posts
    • 7,057 Thanks
    bris
    The problem with waste nowadays is that even householders doing DIY have to pay for their "building waste". I've only done a limited amount of work to my project house and those skips alone cost in excess of £1k

I don't get it, where in the UK does a skip cost 1K?

It must be very different in England because in Scotland as long as you use a car the recycling centres take anything for private households free of charge and that includes plasterboard that goes in the landfill container (non recyclable waste) things skips exclude.

It cost s £190 inc VAT for an 8 yard (builders skip) fully loaded and taken away. You don't pay extra for the contents. Hazardous waste such as paint and fridge's aren't allowed.

I use a 09 Kia Sportage and with the seats down it's almost the size of a small van, I can get a lot of stuff in it and dump it free in the local council recycling centre. They refuse vans for free for commercial reasons as you need to pay for them.

So does England charge ordinary house holds to use recycling centres?
    Last edited by bris; 07-07-2018 at 10:34 AM.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 7th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 4,691 Posts
    • 6,064 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Too true - I've taken to popping the odd bucket of waste in the bin. Usually the sweepings off the floor, so the debris tends to be a mix of small stuff. For larger quantities, I fill 1m³ dump bags (the type used for bulk sand). Had negotiated a price with a local grab hire firm to lift them at £20 per bag. Ended up using the material as hardcore under a shed base.

For anyone generating a large quantity of building waste that can be recycled - i.e. rubble, soil, lime plaster, etc, but not plasterboard or gypsum plaster - It may work out cheaper to use a grab hire truck.
    Originally posted by FreeBear

Legal duty of care

The Waste Regulations 2005 make householders legally responsible for ensuring their household rubbish is only passed on to an authorised person for disposal. The legislation is designed to help reduce the amount of dumped rubbish or fly tipping.

Householders have a duty of care and must take all reasonable measures to make sure household waste produced on their property is disposed of without endangering health or harming the environment.

This applies to any type of waste that is unsuitable for disposal in your dustbin and unable to be taken as part of the weekly household waste collections.

If illegally disposed of waste is traced to your household, you may be fined up to £5,000 in a Magistrates Court.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Jul 18, 12:44 PM
    • 17,152 Posts
    • 47,424 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Yeah took a video and photos as well.

Police said it a civil matter. The owners said they had the same response and the council said they can!!!8217;t identify the person even with a the number plate and a clear photo of him.

The thing I don!!!8217;t understand there is 2 dumps in a 5 mile radius both open 6 days a week until 8pm.

You can turn up in a van 6 times a year so 12 if you go to both for free then it is £2.50 and £4.50 a visit. Yet there is building waste and mattresses dumped across the city.
    Originally posted by atarisrocks
    Is there a way to anonymously "Facebook" them?
    Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world. It's the only thing that ever has.

Extinction Rebellion
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 7th Jul 18, 2:54 PM
    • 26,932 Posts
    • 323,520 Thanks
    davemorton

Yes here in England they do charge for builders waste even DIY builders rubble/waste
    Some areas of England charge. Free here in the North East (we have to have some benefits).
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 7th Jul 18, 6:03 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 2,957 Thanks
    FreeBear
    I say this with tongue in cheek
    Lemme just grab the nail gun, and we can make sure the tongue stays there

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,756Posts Today

9,788Users online

Martin's Twitter