Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jesse1993
    • By Jesse1993 5th Jul 18, 2:44 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jesse1993
    Should I go?
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:44 AM
    Should I go? 5th Jul 18 at 2:44 AM
    Iíve been working at my retail job for 3 and a half years now and Iíve had enough. I constantly do overtime which I never mind doing but itís become a thing where they wonít even ask me now, just put me in nowing Iíll probably wonít say no. I cover peoples shifts but when I want a day off (normally for something important) no one can cover, so itís becoming an iou that never gets used. Donít get me wrong the pay is worth it but it does get very tiring always being the ďoneĒ they rely on. And another thing when I am in, itís always oh leave her on the till we will go off and do something else and Iím left with ques, difficult customers etc! Iíve had enough now and really want to leave! Overall Iíve had about 6 and a half years experience in retail, is that enough experience for another job and should I leave in anyoneís opinion? The only thing that stops me is the comfort of being in a job I know and a lot of the people.
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 5th Jul 18, 4:11 AM
    • 1,226 Posts
    • 2,085 Thanks
    _shel
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:11 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:11 AM
    If you hate it leave but go to a job don't leave to be unemployed as it'll be much harder to find a job that way.

Have you spoken to anyone about how you feel though? A meeting with your manager might sort some of these things.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 5th Jul 18, 7:33 AM
    • 32,390 Posts
    • 19,462 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:33 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:33 AM
    Start to manage the situation so it gets better, it has got bad because you have let it slide.

It will be good practice to become more assertive or the same will happen in the next job.

you can start by letting the rota person know that you are not available for extra hours on various days and which days in the week you want to be off rather than them picking for you.

If people are not swapping with you start declining swaps from the worst offenders with a "you already owe me X amount of swaps" no more till you cover some of those.

Difficult customers at tills, can you fob any off on customer services sorry I can't deal with that you need a manager/CS desk

Make sure you get your breaks etc.

If your contract is short hours and overtime is expected you should be looking to get holiday pay for the overtime.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 5th Jul 18, 9:34 AM
    • 3,116 Posts
    • 5,078 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:34 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:34 AM
    Everywhere I've worked that allowed "swaps", both parts of the swaps were arranged at the same time and then reported to management. Arranging a swap on an IOU basis even once seems daft but to do it continually (when the other half of the swap has previously not taken place) is madness!
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 5th Jul 18, 9:35 AM
    • 1,859 Posts
    • 2,031 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:35 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:35 AM
    It's great to be helpful but do others do the same for you? It's wrong for management to assume you will always provide cover of work extra. I agree that you should speak up or it true, the same thing is likely to happen in the next job.
    What are your long term plans? Do you always want to work in retail? Do you want to get into retail management? 6 years is a fair amount of time and would be enough to start advancing if you wanted.
    • ChrisK.....
    • By ChrisK..... 5th Jul 18, 10:16 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    ChrisK.....
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:16 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:16 AM
    It comes to all jobs, and just like any other relationship, and the day they start treating you like a doormat (no longer valued) is the day you leave
    • Dox
    • By Dox 5th Jul 18, 10:18 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    Dox
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:18 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:18 AM
    Read your own post - anything strike you? You are the one who has allowed all this to happen, while your resentment has simmered away to the point where it is now about to boil over.

You are not alone - saying 'no' doesn't come easily to many people. See if your local authority offers a short course on assertiveness or at the very least borrow a book on the topic from the library.

Also important to talk to your line manager, as calmly as you can (again, not easy) - write down in advance what you want to say to ensure you keep on track.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 5th Jul 18, 10:19 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    Dox
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:19 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:19 AM
    It comes to all jobs, and just like any other relationship, and the day they start treating you like a doormat (no longer valued) is the day you leave
    Originally posted by ChrisK.....
    If you behave like a doormat, no surprise that people wipe their feet on you.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 5th Jul 18, 12:40 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 1,710 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:40 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:40 PM
    A lot of places now have an element of over time if permanent.

Whilst good manners, a transport job at 45 hour weekís, when I last saw them said I would not like the job and citing staying late and working lots of hours they couldnít see from someone currently on a fixed 35 hours which I kind of did see the point...
    Yesterdayís permanent job interview in another busy industry - asked twice if I would be ok to do overtime as a caveat to further get considered.
    Letís put it this way I wouldnít want to go for a full time job saying I wanted to work less hours (at the moment) weíre clearly in a time when over time is appreciated, thatís my 2p worth.

Why donít you just apply for jobs whilst in the luxury of still employed and let the Employers decide/see how you fare as to whether you are ready. Remember *you donít have to take anything that is offered*
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • clairec79
    • By clairec79 5th Jul 18, 8:09 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 6,278 Thanks
    clairec79
    Everywhere I've worked that allowed "swaps", both parts of the swaps were arranged at the same time and then reported to management. Arranging a swap on an IOU basis even once seems daft but to do it continually (when the other half of the swap has previously not taken place) is madness!
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha
    I agree, if I can't work say a Monday so ask a colleague to cover for me that then means I would work one of their shifts that week - so we both balance out. Very occasionally this will fall into the first day or so of the next week (ie our weeks start on a Sunday so if someone needs the saturday off last minute then someone working the Sunday or Monday may swap which is technically a different week, but I've never known anyone do a whole shift without knowing when their own shift would be covered
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,041Posts Today

8,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How do you maintain performance at work when under pressure?... What about you? Part 2 of my bit of the? https://t.co/G5Cej3GYuz

• What does resilience mean to you? For me it?s understanding my own limitations, physically and mentally? What about? https://t.co/CuuRLoQFTr

• Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• Follow Martin