Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ka86
    • By Ka86 4th Jul 18, 11:31 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ka86
    Scared about employment checks
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:31 PM
    Scared about employment checks 4th Jul 18 at 11:31 PM
    Hello Everyone,

I have recently been given a conditional job offer pending background and credit checks. I have a debt relief order that finished in February of this year. On the application for the credit checks I was upfront and informed them of this. However my problem is that on the original job application it asked about CCJs (which Iíve never had) and adverse credit history. I thought this meant only bankruptcies and CCJs so I answered no to this question. Only after reading it again today did I think I should have also included the DRO on that. I have emailed them to say I have made an honest mistake and that I did disclose it on the pre-employment checks. The job application does say that if you answer dishonestly they may revoke the job offer. If I made an honest mistake on that part and not the other, emailed them to explain what happened, can they still revoke the offer? Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 4th Jul 18, 11:40 PM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:40 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:40 PM
    They can, but if events have happened as you described, I can't see any reason for them to do so, particularly as your DRO has now finished. Good for you for grasping the nettle and e-mailing promptly.
    • Ka86
    • By Ka86 4th Jul 18, 11:46 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ka86
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:46 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:46 PM
    Thank you for your quick response. I guess I!!!8217;m just overly worried. There are also 4 accounts showing as defaulted (£3000 total) that were on the DRO and haven!!!8217;t been closed. I!!!8217;m hoping that doesn!!!8217;t cause any problems.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 5th Jul 18, 12:48 AM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 1,749 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:48 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:48 AM
    When you say completed DRO - do you mean you've now past the 6th year or the memorandum period 15 months on from when you are accepted for the order? (I have old style DRO coming up 6 years so a 2012'er)

I had a job application declined just before I got to this 6th year at telephone interview stage for finance co. when admitted to the DRO at the very earliest opportunity, but admit I'm totally lost once the 6th year has passed for me very soon, well days away as to what to say when I get asked the same question again, if re-applying having been rejected it was said due to the debt relief order would have been appearing on the credit file and so picked up at time of any check as then (being just under the '6 years anniversary' and so visible) being indicated as the real problem. I suppose if you declare and they can't see it as good and better. Unfortunately I didn't go back to the company that declined me and just thought I'd re apply later when credit report/file is clear.

Can I follow with interest, thank you.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • Ka86
    • By Ka86 5th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ka86
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    Hi keepcalmandstayoutofdebt, I applied for a DRO in February 2017 and the memorandum period this February. It will show on my credit report for another 6 years. The checks should be over by the end of the week so I!!!8217;ll let you know how it goes. What company did you apply for? I know some are stricter than others.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,606Posts Today

8,469Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin