Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Happy_bunny
    • By Happy_bunny 4th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    • 420Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Happy_bunny
    Ebay car buying issue
    • 4th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    Ebay car buying issue 4th Jul 18 at 9:33 PM
    Bought a car from eBay - Seen numerous pictures and chatted at length to dealer - Car described as 'excellent' - 'superb' - 'better than new!' Used the buy it now option.

Paid a 300 deposit by bank transfer with balance payable on arrival - Appears on ebay as private seller but boasts of selling cars for 20 odd years.

Car arrives being towed behind another car and its a shocker, damaged, filthy dirty inside with several parts broken - None of this shown on pictures or in discussion.

Obviously wasn't going to complete the sale due to the condition and frankly, lies I had been told - explained it wasn't as described I'd be expecting my deposit back which he told me 'wasn't going to happen'.

Where do I honestly stand? It's not something I usually do and wouldn't have done had it been described as it was! I don't have any paperwork, was all done over the phone and a couple of texts and the guys details on the bank transfer & eBay.

I'm so angry - with myself for being taken in and feeling like I've been scammed! Its a big chunk of savings hard earned to buy a replacement for my current car
Page 1
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 4th Jul 18, 10:32 PM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:32 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:32 PM
    I think you will have to sue him for the money if you want it back. The court costs and recovery fees might well come to nearly 300 though, so I would write it off to experience. Next time go and see the car, and drive it before you hand over any money.

I would keep a copy of the advert/photos/texts in case he tries to make you complete on the sale. If he does, ask if you can go to see the car again and take photos of the damage/condition.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 4th Jul 18, 10:34 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:34 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:34 PM
    So are you currently down 300 or the full amount?

You could try getting the bank involved and say it's not as described and do a chargeback? Obviously he can disputes this, but it's a start.
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 5th Jul 18, 2:18 AM
    • 5,783 Posts
    • 8,694 Thanks
    19lottie82
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:18 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:18 AM
    You could try getting the bank involved and say it's not as described and do a chargeback?

Bank wont get involved as the OP paid with a bank transfer, not a credit card.

OP, you have two choices here.

1 - Forget about it and take it on the chin.

2 - send a letter before action and then small claims court.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 5th Jul 18, 8:47 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:47 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:47 AM
    Good point well made - didn't spot that. Ignore my advice OP - 19lottie82 has your options spelled out.
    • Happy_bunny
    • By Happy_bunny 5th Jul 18, 6:43 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    Happy_bunny
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:43 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:43 PM
    send a letter before action and then small claims court.
    How do I get postal details from eBay which I can post to - I Imagine simply emailing him through eBay message is not good enough?!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 5th Jul 18, 8:22 PM
    • 12,304 Posts
    • 8,301 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:22 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:22 PM
    How do I get postal details from eBay which I can post to - I Imagine simply emailing him through eBay message is not good enough?!
    Originally posted by Happy_bunny
    In theory you cannot. You could try to open a returns case and hope that ebay systems fail and give you his address......they shouldn't, but ebay isn't an exact science.

Other than that you will have to find name/address of seller with some research on what you purchased/he had for sale.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 5th Jul 18, 8:26 PM
    • 9,298 Posts
    • 14,344 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:26 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:26 PM
    Have you got a link to the original listing?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Happy_bunny
    • By Happy_bunny 5th Jul 18, 11:11 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    Happy_bunny
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:11 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:11 PM
    In theory you cannot. You could try to open a returns case and hope that ebay systems fail and give you his address......they shouldn't, but ebay isn't an exact science.

Other than that you will have to find name/address of seller with some research on what you purchased/he had for sale.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    So I CAN'T open a claim in the small claims as I'd need his details?!

Seems he can walk away without issue?
    • Happy_bunny
    • By Happy_bunny 5th Jul 18, 11:13 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    Happy_bunny
    Have you got a link to the original listing?
    Originally posted by worried jim
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-09-RENAULT-KANGOO-EXPRESSION-DCI-86-MPV-5-SEATER-1-5-TURBO-DIESEL-NEW-SHAPE/253721862963?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649
    • sham63
    • By sham63 6th Jul 18, 12:36 AM
    • 968 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    sham63
    Do you have the evidence regarding the condition?
    If not, it is just his word against yours.
    You would probably need an independent inspection report to win in court.

Unfortunately, I think you should probably just write the 300 off given that it was paid by bank transfer.
    • lindens
    • By lindens 6th Jul 18, 8:02 AM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 6,942 Thanks
    lindens
    Why cant you just open an ebay case as IND?
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Jul 18, 8:53 AM
    • 60,586 Posts
    • 43,199 Thanks
    soolin
    Why cant you just open an ebay case as IND?
    Originally posted by lindens
    That wouldn't achieve anything though would it? An IND gets any PayPal payment back once item has been returned, there is no mechanism for getting a bank transfer back.

OP The seller is obviously a dealer so you need to work on getting an address for them in order to serve papers- that assumes you can prove your case which isn't necessarily automatic. However, with an address and screen shots of their long and varied history of selling cars , and they currently have 10 listed, the local council and HMRC might well be interested. Car dealers should comply with the various rules and regulations regarding their businesses.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Jul 18, 8:58 AM
    • 60,586 Posts
    • 43,199 Thanks
    soolin
    OP another possibility, and probably difficult to achieve, is to get people to start reporting him for having no business details as required on eBay. If the seller is forced to comply with business selling on eBay, then he has to put up his address (at the moment he just shows Castleford) having an address for him might help a bit.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • lindens
    • By lindens 6th Jul 18, 9:24 AM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 6,942 Thanks
    lindens
    That wouldn't achieve anything though would it? An IND gets any PayPal payment back once item has been returned, there is no mechanism for getting a bank transfer back.

Originally posted by soolin
    I didn't realise that. Useful to know, thank you
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • Gary123456790
    • By Gary123456790 6th Jul 18, 11:20 AM
    • 523 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    Gary123456790
    You can request contact details for another user if you have been in a recent transaction, then you get these by email, just google "ebay request contact details".

If they have other items for sale on ebay then I would definitely not recommend buying them, and claiming non receipt, not as described, etc because that would be dishonest so definitely don't do that...
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 6th Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    • 12,304 Posts
    • 8,301 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    You can request contact details for another user if you have been in a recent transaction, then you get these by email, just google "ebay request contact details".
    Originally posted by Gary123456790
    You can but they aren't complete enough to initiate legal action.
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 6th Jul 18, 12:18 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    MataNui
    Had a similar experience with a car seller. Pics looked great, car described as excellent. I dont live too far from where it was so i made many attempts to view it. Always some excuse which should of rung alarm bells. Anyway, i won the bid and he asked for a deposit. Fortunately i told him i would pop round with the full payment and pick it up instead. Turns out the pics on ebay were at least 10 years old. It didnt look like the same car (apart from the number plate). Painted with a paint brush, rusty, different wheels. Turns out the guy had bought it recently on ebay, got screwed by the seller (same photos) but felt compelled to buy it as 'its ebay rules' BS. Then thought he would just relist with the same pics to offload it. He expected me to just pay him even though he clearly tried to scam me. Told him to *******.

He offered it second chance but that bidder emailed me so i told him straight what the guy was doing. He left me bad feedback which i reciprocated then reported him to ebay (pointless). At least i stopped him offloading it to the next guy.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Jul 18, 12:52 PM
    • 60,586 Posts
    • 43,199 Thanks
    soolin

If they have other items for sale on ebay then I would definitely not recommend buying them, and claiming non receipt, not as described, etc because that would be dishonest so definitely don't do that...
    Originally posted by Gary123456790
    You can but they aren't complete enough to initiate legal action.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    The contact details are getting thinner and thinner, I think the last lot I had was down to an area, not even a Street!
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Jul 18, 12:53 PM
    • 60,586 Posts
    • 43,199 Thanks
    soolin
    Had a similar experience with a car seller. Pics looked great, car described as excellent. I dont live too far from where it was so i made many attempts to view it. Always some excuse which should of rung alarm bells. Anyway, i won the bid and he asked for a deposit. Fortunately i told him i would pop round with the full payment and pick it up instead. Turns out the pics on ebay were at least 10 years old. It didnt look like the same car (apart from the number plate). Painted with a paint brush, rusty, different wheels. Turns out the guy had bought it recently on ebay, got screwed by the seller (same photos) but felt compelled to buy it as 'its ebay rules' BS. Then thought he would just relist with the same pics to offload it. He expected me to just pay him even though he clearly tried to scam me. Told him to *******.

He offered it second chance but that bidder emailed me so i told him straight what the guy was doing. He left me bad feedback which i reciprocated then reported him to ebay (pointless). At least i stopped him offloading it to the next guy.
    Originally posted by MataNui
    At least the Op can't get any bad feedback now as sellers haven't been able to leave negs for buyers for about 10 years.
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

443Posts Today

5,685Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin