Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cbrookes
    • By cbrookes 4th Jul 18, 9:11 PM
    • 218Posts
    • 23Thanks
    cbrookes
    Out of hours school club charges
    • 4th Jul 18, 9:11 PM
    Out of hours school club charges 4th Jul 18 at 9:11 PM
    Hi, my 2 youngest use the out of hours school club and they have never provided an itemised invoice, just a total. I thought it was high last month so requested a breakdown. They say that they bill 5.50 per child per hour, or part of. I don't have a problem if I only take them for 45 minutes and get billed for the hour but what I have found they are doing is if they are in all morning, which they open 7.15 until 8.45 when school opens is charging for 2 hours. Now are they able to do that as they are not even open for 2 hours? Also they say they are not making a profit and just covering costs yet every other school in the area are around the 1.50-2.50 per hour range and I don't see how they can be so much more than the other schools, especially as they are always at or near capacity for the members of staff! Can anyone advise me please if they can do this? Thanks
Page 1
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 4th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    • 6,907 Posts
    • 9,109 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 4th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    If they say that they bill per hour or part hour, then yes, they can charge 11 for an hour and a half.

Your can, of course, suggest to them that it would be appropriate to consider a lower charge for the morning if they are only open for 90 minutes, but if they are only covering costs, they may not be able to afford to do that.
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 5th Jul 18, 7:43 AM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 4,676 Thanks
    lika_86
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:43 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:43 AM
    Yes, if they say they are doing that and you agree to it then they can. Also, I bet their staff don't turn up at 7.15 and leave at 8.45, I bet they are there 7-9 and that's what you're paying for.
    • cbrookes
    • By cbrookes 5th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    cbrookes
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    Thanks, I guess I will just have to put up with it then as I don't think they will stop charging if they can but charging an extra 30 minutes that you can't possibly have in both morning and afternoon sessions 5 days a week for 2 kids is an extra 55 for nothing, yet if they were in for an hour you wouldn't pay extra, stinks if you ask me! Think it's time to look for a childminder lol
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Jul 18, 9:34 AM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,557 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:34 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:34 AM
    Why not ask them why they are billing you for 2 hours in the morning when the 'out of hours' club is only open for 90 minutes?

The worst answer they can give you is 'we bill per hour or part of'.
    If I got that response I'd say 'well, I can understand that but if the club is only open for 90 minutes, it sounds a bit unfair to bill for 2 hours when it's not a parent's choice to use a part hour'.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 5th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 2,295 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    I'm assuming as others say that the staff are there for 15 mins before and after the session and that's part of the cost.
    It does seem expensive for a school club. My daughter's school is 3 a day for breakfast care ( includes cooked breakfast) and if you use after school which is up to 6p.m. It's 65 per term.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Jul 18, 9:47 AM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,557 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:47 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:47 AM
    I'm assuming as others say that the staff are there for 15 mins before and after the session and that's part of the cost.
    It does seem expensive for a school club. My daughter's school is 3 a day for breakfast care ( includes cooked breakfast) and if you use after school which is up to 6p.m. It's 65 per term.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    I'd not noticed that.

If that is the case, charging for the full 2 hours seems reasonable.
    • cbrookes
    • By cbrookes 5th Jul 18, 10:14 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    cbrookes
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:14 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:14 AM
    I can't comment about when they shut in the evening but they open the doors at bang on 7.15, 7.14 if they are early lol and they are gone at 8.45 as the room is used for playgroup who get in at 8.45 to open at 9.00
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 5th Jul 18, 10:20 AM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 6,972 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:20 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:20 AM
    Hi, my 2 youngest use the out of hours school club and they have never provided an itemised invoice, just a total. I thought it was high last month so requested a breakdown. They say that they bill 5.50 per child per hour, or part of. I don't have a problem if I only take them for 45 minutes and get billed for the hour but what I have found they are doing is if they are in all morning, which they open 7.15 until 8.45 when school opens is charging for 2 hours. Now are they able to do that as they are not even open for 2 hours? Also they say they are not making a profit and just covering costs yet every other school in the area are around the 1.50-2.50 per hour range and I don't see how they can be so much more than the other schools, especially as they are always at or near capacity for the members of staff! Can anyone advise me please if they can do this? Thanks
    Originally posted by cbrookes
    Perhaps they are paying staff a wage that represents the responsibility of the job rather than the pittance that many childcare providers pay?
    • cbrookes
    • By cbrookes 5th Jul 18, 10:25 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    cbrookes
    That would explain it however I doubt it very much, to make matters worse my partner was a manager at a nursery for many years and can't believe how poor the staff are, frequently going in to effectively see the kids running riot and the staff looking shocked when she gets some kind of order from them while she gets our kids! She has said on many occasions that place must be a gold mine, and she would like to take over it and run it properly.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 5th Jul 18, 2:08 PM
    • 8,125 Posts
    • 17,588 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    That would explain it however I doubt it very much, to make matters worse my partner was a manager at a nursery for many years and can't believe how poor the staff are, frequently going in to effectively see the kids running riot and the staff looking shocked when she gets some kind of order from them while she gets our kids! She has said on many occasions that place must be a gold mine, and she would like to take over it and run it properly.
    Originally posted by cbrookes

I'm surprised that you let your children attend. I wouldn't if it was that bad!
    Last edited by kingfisherblue; 05-07-2018 at 3:56 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    • shiny76
    • By shiny76 5th Jul 18, 4:16 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    shiny76
    My daughter's school is 3 a day for breakfast care ( includes cooked breakfast) and if you use after school which is up to 6p.m. It's 65 per term.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    We pay 20/month for 1 afternoon session per week
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 5th Jul 18, 6:14 PM
    • 20,446 Posts
    • 34,036 Thanks
    Spendless
    Mine were at a school with a more expensive breakfast club that the other schools, charging 4 (kids now 18 and 15 so a few years ago) per day instead of the 50p-1 the others were charging. It was because it was a registered childcare facility, ran by an outside company though based at school, whereas the others were volunteers from the school running it, hence the cheaper charge there.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 5th Jul 18, 6:24 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 2,295 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    We pay 20/month for 1 afternoon session per week
    Originally posted by shiny76
    I think maybe 65 a term is reasonable because my daughter attends a boarding school ( as a day pupil) so the staff is there anyway. It's not really costing school anything apart from making a few extra snacks.
    Last edited by Fireflyaway; 05-07-2018 at 6:26 PM. Reason: T
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 5th Jul 18, 8:04 PM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 2,300 Thanks
    rach_k
    If you only paid for the time the child was there, you'd probably find they'd put the hourly rate up to account for the staff being there for the full two hours. It wouldn't save you any money so it would seem a bit daft to argue with them over it.
    • ecgirl07
    • By ecgirl07 5th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    ecgirl07
    The one in my school is 62 per week, for that you get 8 to 9 in the morning 3 to 6 after school AND 8 til 6 in the holiday weeks.

Works out at 1something an hour
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 5th Jul 18, 8:32 PM
    • 12,997 Posts
    • 10,309 Thanks
    unholyangel
    This sort of pricing has always struck me as strange in clubs/nurseries/childminder agreements. It would be considered misleading/unfair anywhere else.

For example the charging parents when the nursery is closed for training days. Thats highly likely to be unfair because you are bound by your obligation (to pay the agreed price) but they are not bound by theirs (to provide x hours of childcare) and you can't have a contract that allows one party to not perform the contract at its discretion (aka in circumstances under their own control) while remaining binding on the other party. Any other business would work this into their overheads/pricing margin so that its split amongst all of their customers and not just some.

Likewise with this. If they're only open 1.5hrs then they shouldn't be charging 2 hours. Thats not to say they should be providing it at the same hourly rate, rather that they should be working those costs into their hourly rate.

After all, if you purchase 6 bread rolls, you don't expect the baker to charge you for 12 because he had to have staff in from 3am to make them.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 5th Jul 18, 9:50 PM
    • 16,077 Posts
    • 22,101 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    I pay 4 for breakfast club from 7.30am until 8.45am which obviously includes breakfast.

It is in the school hall, so no hall charge. Just 2 staff to pay. They have enough kids to make a profit which goes towards school activities.

At 5.50 an hour you might be better off getting a nanny.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,559Posts Today

6,310Users online

Martin's Twitter