Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • matt1976
    • By matt1976 4th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 3Thanks
    matt1976
    Lloyds Bank Saturday Cash Deposit
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    Lloyds Bank Saturday Cash Deposit 4th Jul 18 at 7:58 PM
    Hi All,

I'm after some advice, I deposited 1500 cash to a cashier in my local Lloyds bank on Saturday 30th June at 12:30pm, I expected that the cash would be deposited straight away and dated the same day.

The cash was available straight away but when I checked online it showed as being deposited Monday 2nd July which I find strange.

The importance of the dates to me is because I need 1500 deposited each month into my club Lloyds account in order for them to waive the 3 fee and because they dated it 2nd July I've now been charged, I don't think this is on to be honest.

Can anyone shed any light on why a cash deposit on a Saturday with Lloyds over the counter is dated the following Monday?

Yes, I appreciate it's only 3 but it more about the point.

Many thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • campbell19925
    • By campbell19925 4th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    campbell19925
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    Ring the bank. As simple as it sounds, I'm sure they will sort it out.
    • matt1976
    • By matt1976 4th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    matt1976
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    Thanks for the reply but not that easy to call a bank these days as spend 10 minutes plus getting held in queues etc.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 4th Jul 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:11 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:11 PM
    Can anyone shed any light on why a cash deposit on a Saturday with Lloyds over the counter is dated the following Monday?
    Originally posted by matt1976
    Simple, Saturday isn't an official banking day, so although the bank was open and accepted your money, all transactions on a Saturday will be recorded as taking place on the next bank working day, i.e. Monday. It's the same at Barclays because I've paid cheques in at Barclays and they've dated them for Monday. I suspect most other banks work the same way.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 4th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    • 2,956 Posts
    • 4,071 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    Saturday doesn't exist as far as Lloyd is concerned. End of business on Friday is folded by Monday morning
    • matt1976
    • By matt1976 4th Jul 18, 8:15 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    matt1976
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:15 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:15 PM
    Thanks earthboy.

I'm a little annoyed with Lloyds, it was cash and I paid it over the counter but if that's how it is fair enough, I'll not do it again.
    • matt1976
    • By matt1976 4th Jul 18, 8:16 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    matt1976
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:16 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:16 PM
    Thanks ceredigion
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 4th Jul 18, 10:22 PM
    • 25,316 Posts
    • 12,548 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:22 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:22 PM
    Post #4 is spot on.
    Saturday is not an official working day.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 4th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    Hi All,

I'm after some advice, I deposited 1500 cash to a cashier in my local Lloyds bank on Saturday 30th June at 12:30pm, I expected that the cash would be deposited straight away and dated the same day.

The cash was available straight away but when I checked online it showed as being deposited Monday 2nd July which I find strange.

The importance of the dates to me is because I need 1500 deposited each month into my club Lloyds account in order for them to waive the 3 fee and because they dated it 2nd July I've now been charged, I don't think this is on to be honest.

Many thanks in advance.
    Same as any other bank I've used: The account is updated on the next occasion that it is ... er ... updated. In my case at Lloyds Bank the first update of the week is a few minutes after midnight on Monday morning. Ergo a weekend deposit has a Monday date because that's the date it was added to the account.

However faster Payments are credited when they are received including Saturdays and Sundays.
    • KJSmith
    • By KJSmith 4th Jul 18, 11:50 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    KJSmith
    I'm surprised you were charged. I'd be interested to know what they say when you contact them.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 5th Jul 18, 12:01 AM
    • 2,956 Posts
    • 4,071 Thanks
    ceredigion
    Same as any other bank I've used: The account is updated on the next occasion that it is ... er ... updated. In my case at Lloyds Bank the first update of the week is a few minutes after midnight on Monday morning. Ergo a weekend deposit has a Monday date because that's the date it was added to the account.

However faster Payments are credited when they are received including Saturdays and Sundays.
    Originally posted by Anthorn

With Monday's date
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 5th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    Yep. This is the same reason that wages due on a Monday show up on a Saturday, but with Monday's date.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 5th Jul 18, 10:54 AM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    Yep. This is the same reason that wages due on a Monday show up on a Saturday, but with Monday's date.
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    Only bank that did this was NatWest, but I thought they stopped it?
    • badger09
    • By badger09 5th Jul 18, 11:37 AM
    • 6,379 Posts
    • 5,787 Thanks
    badger09
    Hi All,

Many thanks in advance.

You could contact Lloyds and appeal to their better nature. They might just waive the fees.

Lesson to be learned though, don't leave it until the last day of the month if that is a weekend
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 5th Jul 18, 12:34 PM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Anthorn
    [/COLOR]

With Monday's date
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    No. I just looked at both Lloyds Bank and Starling Bank and credits on a Saturday or Sunday by faster payment are received on the day they were sent and bear that date. However, debits on a Saturday or Sunday by Faster Payment are debited and sent on the day they were paid but bear Monday's date.

Wasn't there some sort of a problem re. overdraft charges which changed the way in which debits by faster payment were handled? Sorry, that comes from memory and I don't have a link.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 5th Jul 18, 12:35 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    Only bank that did this was NatWest, but I thought they stopped it?
    Originally posted by wizzywig27
    NatWest (and RBS) have stopped it, but I believe that Barclays also did the same, and may still do so as I've heard nothing to confirm they've changed.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 5th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    Yes, Barclays still do it. I get to splurge my state pension on Saturday and regret it on Monday.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,289Posts Today

6,652Users online

Martin's Twitter