Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Xplosivgas
    • By Xplosivgas 4th Jul 18, 7:16 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Xplosivgas
    Obligations with former owners mail
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:16 PM
    Obligations with former owners mail 4th Jul 18 at 7:16 PM
    Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the legal obligation is of a new home owner as regards post addressed to the former owner?

I believe the previous owner of my house had set up a forwarding service which has long expired. I'm now getting a fair bit of mail through - some junk mail and other mail that looks more important like bank stuff.

When I moved in let's just say the former owners weren't my favourite people (boiler broke from the start and various hidden issues - generally not pleasant people). I'd like to know if I'm obliged to do something with the mail or can I shred / bin it? I'm not in the mood for doing them favours if I can help it!

Thanks
Page 1
    • Yellow78
    • By Yellow78 4th Jul 18, 7:21 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Yellow78
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:21 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:21 PM
    Just scribble out the address and write 'not at this address' on the mail and post it back in the letter box - that's what I always do for the mail that comes to my rental house. It amazes me how many previous tenants still haven't sorted out things like bank statements and NHS records years after leaving...
    • SG27
    • By SG27 4th Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    • 2,447 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    SG27
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    I would just bin it personally. They should have changed their address by now. I suppose the right thing to do is post it back saying not known at this address on the envelope
    • anselld
    • By anselld 4th Jul 18, 7:29 PM
    • 5,865 Posts
    • 5,586 Thanks
    anselld
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:29 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:29 PM
    No legal obligations, you can just bin it.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 4th Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    • 4,512 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    Bin it and it will just keep coming. Return it to sender.
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 4th Jul 18, 7:34 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:34 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:34 PM
    What I do is to to scribble "Recipient not at this address, return to sender" and drop it in a mail box. After a while the senders update their records and the mail stops.

If you keep binning it, as some suggested it might go on forever and you are doing you both a disservice.
    • gozaimasu
    • By gozaimasu 4th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 1,899 Thanks
    gozaimasu
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    I would also recommend writing the post code of the return address on the front of the mail. Makes it easier for the sorting office to deal with.
    Forum etiquette - Be nice to all moneysavers.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 4th Jul 18, 8:22 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:22 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:22 PM
    What I do is to to scribble "Recipient not at this address, return to sender" and drop it in a mail box.
    Originally posted by sal_III
    What a lot of writing! I write "RTS: moved"
    • gozaimasu
    • By gozaimasu 4th Jul 18, 8:42 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 1,899 Thanks
    gozaimasu
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:42 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:42 PM
    Originally posted by ThePants999

Or just print out a sheet of labels with all that writing and stick it over? That's what I did.
    Forum etiquette - Be nice to all moneysavers.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 4th Jul 18, 9:00 PM
    • 9,729 Posts
    • 13,140 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    Price of b*g r*ll these days, I know of a good use for the mail...
    Last edited by theartfullodger; 04-07-2018 at 9:06 PM.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 4th Jul 18, 10:15 PM
    • 8,486 Posts
    • 8,942 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Originally posted by ThePants999
    "Gone away" has even fewer letters (and what the Royal Mail put on their own label).
    • datlex
    • By datlex 4th Jul 18, 11:02 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 1,661 Thanks
    datlex
    When first move into a place, post is opened and companies informed that the previous resident no longer lives there. I spoke to Royal Mail and they advised that opening post to advise sender is legitimate. Doing this stops the unwanted mail as companies know that the post is not just being sent back. Details where known are provided. For this address for example, the lady who lived here before has gone into care. Then after a few months any other post is first shredded then binned.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 5th Jul 18, 4:43 AM
    • 34,000 Posts
    • 28,894 Thanks
    custardy
    I would also recommend writing the post code of the return address on the front of the mail. Makes it easier for the sorting office to deal with.
    Originally posted by gozaimasu
    No it doesnt
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 5th Jul 18, 8:48 AM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    saajan_12
    Having owned my place for a couple of years, I'm still getting mail from 3 previous tenancies, spanning 4+ years of residents. Thats everything from flyers, charities they've signed up to, card statements, bank letters, pension letters.. from people who moved out nearly 7 years ago! Have been religously RTS-ing everything that has a return address, but no noticeable reduction in the quantity.. so try it but don't expect it'll actually make it stop. Time to start binning now.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Jul 18, 9:13 AM
    • 18,344 Posts
    • 16,583 Thanks
    AdrianC
    "Return and remove - Deceased" - especially if it's anything that looks official or important...

<evil grin>
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 5th Jul 18, 2:00 PM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 2,694 Thanks
    FreeBear
    "Gone away" has even fewer letters (and what the Royal Mail put on their own label).
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Only three letters required - "RTS" - Anything with a return address on the back goes through a sorting machine and is sent back there. A return address on the front is manually sorted, the remainder goes to a mail opening unit in Belfast.

Any letters that have been opened and then shoved back in to a letterbox with RTS scribbled on it goes to Royal Mail's revenue protection unit. The recipient then usually gets charged for the privilege.

For mail that is being redirected, it is a good idea to write just the new address on the envelope ensuring that the recipient's name is clearly visible - As long as the name is visible or isn't changed and the envelope is still sealed, the redirect will be free of charge.

Amazing what one can learn from working in the post office for a Christmas or three
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 5th Jul 18, 4:16 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    RTS never seems to stop anything in my experience. Open them and ring the company/bank/whatever and request they stop sending stuff to your house. This has worked for most of the mail I keep receiving for previous owners and tenants.

British Gas and BT seemed to be the hardest to stop. British Gas I could only get through to the right department by calling the new customer line and being put through as no-one picked up any of the other phone lines or options. BT I had to call multiple times to explain to their idiot call handlers that a previous tenant from over a decade ago would not be taking up their wonderful offers and due to their shocking response to this simple request neither would I so please stop sending me junk!!

So you may have to be persistent with some companies but that seems the best way. Nothing illegal in opening mail if your intent isn't illegal use of the info inside.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jul 18, 4:26 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Can anyone tell me what the legal obligation is of a new home owner as regards post addressed to the former owner?
    Originally posted by Xplosivgas

Since no-one wants to cleary explain..

Your only obligation is not to !!!! over the previous occupant.

Returning will do nothing as you are nopt the recipient so 99.9% of the time it will be ignored.

Signing up with the companies yourself might stop the mail! It seemed to with me for screwfix.

You might stop it with a complaint to higher up, eg web teams.

Otherwise use it to light fires.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 5th Jul 18, 4:59 PM
    • 34,000 Posts
    • 28,894 Thanks
    custardy
    Only three letters required - "RTS" - Anything with a return address on the back goes through a sorting machine and is sent back there. A return address on the front is manually sorted, the remainder goes to a mail opening unit in Belfast.
    Not quite. Stamped mail goes to Belfast. Other mail types with no return address as securely destroyed. Machines can read front and back addresses.Its more often the routing codes that cause issue.
    Any letters that have been opened and then shoved back in to a letterbox with RTS scribbled on it goes to Royal Mail's revenue protection unit. The recipient then usually gets charged for the privilege.
    only for business redirections
    For mail that is being redirected, it is a good idea to write just the new address on the envelope ensuring that the recipient's name is clearly visible - As long as the name is visible or isn't changed and the envelope is still sealed, the redirect will be free of charge.

Amazing what one can learn from working in the post office for a Christmas or three
    Originally posted by FreeBear
    Need to go back to class
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 5th Jul 18, 7:41 PM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    Margot123
    One of my properties still receives mail for a tenant who left 6 years ago despite returning to sender. They are mostly posh furniture, and Toolmart type catalogues. No wonder those companies charge so much for their products!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,526Posts Today

6,770Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin