Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gozaimasu
    • By gozaimasu 4th Jul 18, 7:13 PM
    • 442Posts
    • 1,893Thanks
    gozaimasu
    Can't decide what to offer
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:13 PM
    Can't decide what to offer 4th Jul 18 at 7:13 PM
    GDPR Right to Erasure should apply on this website.
    Last edited by gozaimasu; 07-07-2018 at 6:28 PM.
    Forum etiquette - Be nice to all moneysavers.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 4th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    • 25,310 Posts
    • 68,970 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    It doesn't exactly sound like you love it.

Be careful with houses that look like they need some work. They always need more spending than you think, especially if you haven't renovated before. If the bathrooms are dated, what of the really important stuff has been neglected?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 4th Jul 18, 7:27 PM
    • 9,776 Posts
    • 123,094 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:27 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:27 PM
    Look for some thing else.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -14 so far and counting!!
    • datlex
    • By datlex 4th Jul 18, 11:06 PM
    • 1,692 Posts
    • 1,588 Thanks
    datlex
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:06 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:06 PM
    Ultimately I really don't want to be in this part of the country and have had some terrible experiences so I suspect that is making me feel unconnected and uncommitted to a property purchase. I really do need to buy somewhere, but need to try and think of it as being the right decision for right now. This place is the best that I've seen and had the best feeling about after the first visit, whereas most of the other places have been absolute nos.

So, my max budget would be 3% off asking - should I just jump straight in and offer this, or try to creep up gradually from my original offer? Say 5% off asking?
    Originally posted by gozaimasu
    Given that you don't want to stay in that part of the country and have had terrible experiences, I think buying is for you a bad choice. What part of the country are you in?
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 5th Jul 18, 1:37 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 3,227 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:37 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:37 PM
    When did your offer get rejected?

If you're not totally in love with it, then why not wait a bit, maybe a week, and see if it is still available then? Someone else might make a good offer and then your decision will be made for you.

Ultimately you need to decide where you want to be, it seems to me. Do you want a do-er upper in this part of town (it doesn't sound like you're exactly champing at the bit to get your hands dirty with the DIY) or would you be better buying something in more modern condition in the other town you mention?
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 5th Jul 18, 2:04 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:04 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:04 PM
    Go with your maximum budget, if they still say no then you can start again to find something else - a few thousand on a 20+ year mortgage is about the same as a bucket of chicken a month in the scheme of things.
    • RedfordML
    • By RedfordML 5th Jul 18, 2:45 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    RedfordML
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:45 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:45 PM
    "Ultimately I really don't want to be in this part of the country"

Don't. Could be an expensive error.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

18Posts Today

4,434Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin