Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 4th Jul 18, 6:58 PM
    • 298Posts
    • 38Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    Laptop is getting hot
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:58 PM
    Laptop is getting hot 4th Jul 18 at 6:58 PM
    All this week, my laptop has been getting hot. I downloaded speedfan to check the temp which is ok at the time of typing but could go higher at anytime. At it's highest, it is 54C.
    I don't know if this has anything to do with it but in task manager, the disk is reading 95-99% a lot of the time, CPU is variesfrom 40-55% but this afternoon went up to 99%. Kaspersky is the only thing that appears to be taking a lot but I'm not willing to stop my anti virus.

Tomorrow I'll buy compressed air to see if that will clear out any dust. But I have a feeling that's not the cause.

Any ideas?

p.s. by time I finished typing temp is now HD0 40C, Temp 1 52C, GPU 50C, core 54C and CPU fan 3093RPM with CPU 70% , memory 43% and disk 99%.
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 4th Jul 18, 7:45 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 831 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:45 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:45 PM
    CPU temperatures reported by Speedfan aren't reliable on laptops unfortunately as they are all bespoke designs with different throttling methods and ways of working.

If this is a budget brand of laptop like an Acer, Gateway or Packard Bell or something, nine times out of ten the problem is caused by a build up of dust on the outlet vent. This will not be cleared by a can of compressed air, the laptop will need to come apart to get rid of the major dust bunny that causes the heat issue.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 4th Jul 18, 11:54 PM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:54 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:54 PM
    Do you use it always on your lap, on a soft surface, perhaps on a cloth or cushion? That's what my neighbour did; used it on top of two folded tablecloths. I stripped it, cleaned out the dust (it was agricultural) had to reinstall drivers, as it just gave up. That was challenging, as it was a 5 year old Samsung and Samsung are rubbish at retaining drivers for Support.

Then I advised her to use it always on a hard surface, preferably buy a laptop stand so that air could pass underneath and aid cooling. They should never have been called laptops, never be used exclusively for long periods on laps, without a hard surface underneath or even better, a raised stand.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 5th Jul 18, 6:24 AM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 3,102 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:24 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:24 AM
    I had the same trouble, and when it went to the repair shop it was something to do with the heat sink - it's as good as new now, but it does need taking apart and not sure what they did - either renewed it or cleaned it.

I seem to remember now that maybe the fan casing has some sort of substance on it that had disintegrated and needed replacing - might have been a tube of something "thermal".
    Last edited by LadyDee; 05-07-2018 at 7:12 AM.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Jul 18, 7:02 AM
    • 16,062 Posts
    • 136,546 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:02 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:02 AM
    My MacAir only gets warm if I am doing a jigsaw on it for some reason, and the fan is a bit noisy. Never figured out why I just do something else for 10 minutes until it cools down
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = 166.19.This is for food only
    &/6/18 first food shop this month 13.48
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 5th Jul 18, 8:55 AM
    • 4,491 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:55 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:55 AM
    I seem to remember now that maybe the fan casing has some sort of substance on it that had disintegrated and needed replacing - might have been a tube of something "thermal".
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    They'll have removed the heatsink from the CPU (and also possibly the GPU), cleaned both sides up (chip top and underside of heatsink) then refitted them with new thermal compound (which improves the transfer of heat from the chips to the heatsinks).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 5th Jul 18, 9:06 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 2,401 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:06 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:06 AM
    It does sound like some software is making the computer work hard. I had a Chrome extension that did this on mine once, which took a while to identify as the problem. Also malware can have this effect so have you run a scan of something like Malwarebytes? I don't know how well Kasperski detects malware.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 5th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    temp is now HD0 40C, Temp 1 52C, GPU 50C, core 54C and CPU fan 3093RPM with CPU 70% , memory 43% and disk 99%.
    Originally posted by pennypincher2013
    Step 1 is visually inspect fan in and out grills and if dusty use low power hoover to suck out dust (with laptop off); take care doing this; you may want to prevent the fan from spinning while doing this by inserting a small screwdriver to prevent fan from turning (obviously take care here too!).
    Next, find out why CPU and disk access are high. This may be just anti-virus but could be Windows Update.
    Temps. HD temps look high; should be nearer 30degC (try HD Sentinel); CPU temps. The values you've printed are NOT high. Mine is reporting 50-80 degC. and mine **needs CPU/heatsink thermal paste renewing**. Try Notebook Fancontrol for alternative way of reporting CPU temp (NB. this is a fidly program but may give a better CPU temp) OR BIOS may report CPU temperature. It IS safe upto 80degC but if you have noticed a recent change in fan noise then there is probably a problem to sort out. Report back.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 5th Jul 18, 10:37 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:37 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:37 AM
    If you're running Windows 10 then there are lots of problems causing disk usage at 99%/100%. I've just spent a couple of days sorting out 2 desktops and a laptop at work with this issue - one desktop was an issue with iCloud, the second desktop was an issue with RAM settings and the laptop was an issue with anti-virus.

Google it, there are lots of online guides of how to identify the issue with a number of steps to check until you find the problem. All 3 of my machines are very similar with the same software installed, and the 2 desktops are identical, but it was a different issue on each.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Jul 18, 5:28 PM
    • 3,191 Posts
    • 2,310 Thanks
    Tarambor
    CPU temp at 54C is nothing to worry about, they don't even begin to think about throttling back the speed due to overheating until well over 80C.
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 6th Jul 18, 12:37 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    Get a can of compressed air and blast the side vent in short bursts (whilst turned off).

Your disk usage is almost certainly unrelated. Recent upgrade to W10?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Jul 18, 12:43 PM
    • 4,491 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    DoaM
    Get a can of compressed air and blast the side vent in short bursts (whilst turned off).
    Originally posted by armchaireconomist
    Or don't do this. (There are mixed opinions about using this method ... blasting air into the vents can a) potentially cause damage to the cooling fan, and b) simply blasts the dust back into the laptop, whence it will soon simply return again to the vents).
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 6th Jul 18, 12:48 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    DoaM,

"short bursts". There's a finite amount of space inside a laptop, where does all this go other than back out (along with the dust)?

If it breaks your fan it was on its last legs anyway. Although of the 100s I've done can't say I've ever broken one.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Jul 18, 12:59 PM
    • 4,491 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    DoaM
    Back out where?

The dust tends to collect at the heatsink next to the side vent. If you blast this from the outside then all you're doing is pushing that dust back into the machine. Granted that some of it will come out of the side vent, and some may come out of the inlets.

But most of it will remain inside the laptop (the force of the air dissipates inside the laptop) and eventually just make its way back to the heatsink - after all, that's what the fan is meant to do; suck air in and direct it over the heatsink and out through the vent, and the dust will go with it.
    Last edited by DoaM; 06-07-2018 at 1:01 PM.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Jul 18, 1:24 PM
    • 3,682 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    AndyPix
    potentially cause damage to the cooling fan.
    Originally posted by DoaM

Interested as to wether you have ever actually seen this happen ..

I trust your experience but have never ever seen this in 25 years of IT i must have done it a thousand times
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 6th Jul 18, 6:59 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    Thanks for all the great replies.
    I'm going to try the compressed air first and take it from there, hoping that'll do it. I've also decided to buy this chill mat http://www.argos.co.uk/product/9255399

In task manager, CPU, memory and disk are all normal levels but that laptop is still hot (55C ish). I know it's not in danger levels yet but it's so hot, it's comfortable to hold. Gonna try a different monitor than speedfan to see if it gets the same readings.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 6th Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    Robisere
    Blowing in compressed air also drives in moisture with the air, which condenses on surfaces inside the laptop. Try it on a metal surface outside of the laptop: the compressed air is very cold, feel it on the sides of the can as you operate it. That cold air gets warm again and forms condensation. Do you really want water inside your laptop?

The only safe way to remove dust from inside a laptop, is to google your laptop model number and look for a YT video which shows how to strip the laptop and get at the fan and other components, in order to remove the dust. Then use it on the chillmat by all means, with a hard surface underneath. It would help if it were also raised slightly, to allow air to flow underneath.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 9th Jul 18, 9:39 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    PennyPincher, compressed air will solve your problem almost certainly. Use it in short bursts with the laptop turned off and you'll be absolutely fine (I work full-time as an I.T. professional)
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 9th Jul 18, 11:57 AM
    • 2,389 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    Stoke
    Blowing in compressed air also drives in moisture with the air, which condenses on surfaces inside the laptop. Try it on a metal surface outside of the laptop: the compressed air is very cold, feel it on the sides of the can as you operate it. That cold air gets warm again and forms condensation. Do you really want water inside your laptop?

The only safe way to remove dust from inside a laptop, is to google your laptop model number and look for a YT video which shows how to strip the laptop and get at the fan and other components, in order to remove the dust. Then use it on the chillmat by all means, with a hard surface underneath. It would help if it were also raised slightly, to allow air to flow underneath.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Although I've never worked in IT Services so you might have more experience than me, I've used Compressed Air 100's, if not 1000's of times on electrical's, both on and off, and never once had an issue with 'moisture'. What you saying might be right, but you're over egging the pudding a bit.
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 9th Jul 18, 12:28 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    DoaM, it's very basic displacement really. You have a container of a finite volume, you blast X times its volume inside and its contents are displaced. Granted, some will remain but the vast majority will be removed. OPs laptop is getting hot, given they're asking I doubt they're in a position to dismantle and do a "proper" job of it. You're not achieving anything with this pedanticism other than confusing OP, for which compressed air is a perfectly suitable solution.

FYI cold does not = wet, nor does condensation from compressed air constitute water in enough volume to do any damage. The air in her house has a moisture content - surely by your logic her laptop should be flooded by now?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,788Posts Today

8,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @justindeaville: @MartinSLewis I looked it up when we last went. It's ball speed. And it's about O.3 seconds to cross the court. @Martin?

• Amazing how empty the #Wimbledon court is for the mixed doubles even though there's a Brit playing. The bars outside are rammed though

• RT @BimpeIN: @MartinSLewis According to Quora its "the speed of the ball as getting out of the racket. As soon as the ball starts to fly it?

• Follow Martin