Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seaney53
    • By seaney53 4th Jul 18, 5:14 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    seaney53
    state pension and esa
    • 4th Jul 18, 5:14 PM
    state pension and esa 4th Jul 18 at 5:14 PM
    hi,wonder if anyone can help me.
    In March 2018 I claim my state pension,so my wife will lose her entitlement to employment and support allowance.I will also be claiming pension credits.
    She is 49,and in the support group. Will the DWP have the right to force her back to work as she she not be claiming the sickness benefit?
Page 1
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 4th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 2,796 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 4th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    Is her ESA claim Income-Based or Contribution Based?
    Is it a joint claim?

Is March 2018 the correct date?

If you are asking 'Can DWP force her back to work when she is a member of a couple claiming Pension Credits', the answer is No.
    However, be aware that the government have plans to change the eligibility for Pension Credit.
    Currently a couple can apply when the oldest partner reaches PC age, this will be changing so that a couple can only claim PC when the youngest partner reaches PC age.

If you plan to claim in the PC future (i.e your March 2018 date is incorrect) you may want to do some googling to find out more about this change, its timing, and how it may affect you as a couple.

You may also want to consider how your wife can build up your NI credits for her state pension.

Can you give us more information, as your post is too incomplete and unclear for an accurate response.
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 04-07-2018 at 5:49 PM.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • seaney53
    • By seaney53 4th Jul 18, 5:53 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    seaney53
    • 4th Jul 18, 5:53 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 5:53 PM
    sorry for the confusion!
    Should have said March 2019.
    Wife's esa is income based and a joint claim,glad she wont be approached by DWP,she is very ill..
    Regarding the pension credits,that is a tad concerning,will have to check that out.
    Thank you for the advice.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 4th Jul 18, 6:05 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 2,796 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:05 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:05 PM
    Is she in receipt of PIP?
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/check-you-are-eligible/

If not, do check if she would be eligible.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • seaney53
    • By seaney53 4th Jul 18, 6:07 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    seaney53
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:07 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:07 PM
    Yes,she gets the higher rate of pip.
    I am her carer.
    • WillowCat
    • By WillowCat 4th Jul 18, 9:01 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    WillowCat
    • 4th Jul 18, 9:01 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 9:01 PM
    Obviously you will hope that the change to the pension credit eligibility age won't change before you get your pension. The applicable amount for pension credit is greater than ESA so your overall income should go up at that point (you will be entitled to disability premiums on the pension credit).

If the change has been made, the benefit you can claim will be universal credit. As a couple you would be entitled to the standard couples element, any housing elements, carer element and a limited capability for work and related activity element (equivalent to the support group on ESA). Your state pension would be deducted from this pound for pound but you may well still be better off overall. Her limited capability for work element would mean that she does not have to jobsearch.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 5th Jul 18, 2:32 AM
    • 26,492 Posts
    • 15,733 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:32 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:32 AM
    Have you obtained a state pension statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,759Posts Today

7,098Users online

Martin's Twitter