Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • danmc182
    • By danmc182 4th Jul 18, 5:11 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    danmc182
    Withdrawing from Help to Buy ISA
    • 4th Jul 18, 5:11 PM
    Withdrawing from Help to Buy ISA 4th Jul 18 at 5:11 PM
    Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find anything specific, or clear to my query.

I have approx 7k in a Help to Buy ISA, but have a similar amount of credit card debt, which I'd like to get rid of.

My question is, if I withdraw from the Help to Buy ISA to pay off the debt, do I lose all the accrued 'bonus' on the ISA? Would I have to start again with the 200 max per month? Or could I replenish quickly (e.g. 500 per month) and retain the bonus that I've achieved to date?

I'm very reluctant to lose the bonus, but equally I'd like the credit card debt paid off.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Wildsound
    • By Wildsound 4th Jul 18, 6:04 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Wildsound
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:04 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:04 PM
    You would lose the bonus. As you can only pay in 200 a month, it would take you X amount of months to get back where you started.

The flip side is, if you're able to accrue 4,000 before the end of the tax year, and you don't intend on buying a house in the next year, you could open a Lifetime ISA and then contribute to that instead. You would gain access to the instant 25% government bonus and it gives you more flexibility.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 4th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    Well, technically you haven't yet gained the bonus in the HTB ISA, that's only given at completion.

As Wildsound mentions, you have instant access to withdrawing the money, but when it comes to replacing the money you're still limited to 200 per month. So, it would take you about 3 years to get the balance back to 7000. I would have a serious think about that.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 4th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    If you close the HTB ISA (as opposed to just making a withdrawal) your provider should give you a closing statement which can be used by your solicitor within 12 months to claim the bonus. See FAQ weird hyperlink below:

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/help-to-buy-isa/faq/#f79a24ea-e1f7-648f-8ce9-ff0000ad17aa

Alex.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 5th Jul 18, 12:32 AM
    • 7,508 Posts
    • 8,130 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:32 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:32 AM
    My question is, if I withdraw from the Help to Buy ISA to pay off the debt, do I lose all the accrued 'bonus' on the ISA? Would I have to start again with the 200 max per month? Or could I replenish quickly (e.g. 500 per month) and retain the bonus that I've achieved to date?
    Originally posted by danmc182
    I'd suggest you consider the bigger picture and in particular the role of the implied 500 per month available in future.

If your starting position is debt equals savings, i.e. zero net assets, then this isn't a good place to be if looking to buy a first property, as you should have a deposit available without borrowing it, and will need to source a mortgage from a lender.

If you're going to have a monthly 500 surplus going forward then it may be more effective to use that to pay down the credit card debt rather than raiding your HTB money, but you'll need to calculate how it balances out, especially bearing in mind the HTB bonus versus the interest burden on the card debt, or if you can get it shifted to 0% perhaps?

If, on the other hand, your 500 figure was just a notional example and you won't actually be able to save that (or repay that amount of debt) each month, then you may need to recalibrate your plans altogether....
    • redux
    • By redux 5th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 24,242 Thanks
    redux
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    Unlike some other ISA accounts, you can't temporarily withdraw then replace the funds faster.

But as the bonus only comes when you cash in the account to buy a house, I'd suggest you think of the bonus as postponed, rather than foregone.

Could you apply for a new card with a 0% balance transfer offer, to cover some of that card balance? Then do new spending on the old card, avoiding interest on both. Then you could cover the rest of the old card balance from the ISA, and be building that back up at 200 a month.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,213Posts Today

8,363Users online

Martin's Twitter