Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • James1294
    • By James1294 4th Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    James1294
    New Employment
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    New Employment 4th Jul 18 at 3:29 PM
    Hi All

I have had a job offer closer to home doing the same Job as EC&I tech, I love the where I am now just its far from home and no career progression really

Pros : Less Travel Home by 30mins each way, less miles a month ( 500miles ), career progression they want to put me though a degree to become EC&I Engineer, no weekend work ( only if I want )

Neg : Is that I will be on a less salary around 2000 less for the year

Just want to know what your thoughts are not sure what to do

Thanks

James
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 4th Jul 18, 3:43 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 5,616 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:43 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:43 PM
    Even with 50 mpg you will be saving close to 10 gallons of fuel per month which is around 600 in the year. Reduced wear and tear on your car. Additional gross salary of 2k actually gives you around 1400 per year nett, so you aren't far short of half that figure just in fuel saving.
    Career prospects seem much better assuming they stick with their promise, and you have a shorter working day and free weekends.
    For me it would seem a simple choice based on the information provided.
    • AstroTurtle
    • By AstroTurtle 4th Jul 18, 4:44 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    AstroTurtle
    • 4th Jul 18, 4:44 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 4:44 PM
    Even with 50 mpg you will be saving close to 10 gallons of fuel per month which is around 600 in the year. Reduced wear and tear on your car. Additional gross salary of 2k actually gives you around 1400 per year nett, so you aren't far short of half that figure just in fuel saving.
    Career prospects seem much better assuming they stick with their promise, and you have a shorter working day and free weekends.
    For me it would seem a simple choice based on the information provided.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Majorly agree with Tellit, I took a pay decrease for a shorter commute but i have more dispoasble cash.

6,000 miles less a year is one less minor service interval, Tyres will last long. Less fuel etc.

But a big one is you'll have an extra hour a day thats not in a car or at work. Thats invaluable. Extra 240 hours per year or 6.8 weeks less at work.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 4th Jul 18, 6:21 PM
    • 1,859 Posts
    • 2,030 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:21 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:21 PM
    I'd take the new one. You will probably save enough money on petrol and extra time is always precious. If it's benefiting your long term prospects too then that's great.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 4th Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    • 8,670 Posts
    • 6,436 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    You've said nothing about the company and its people. what are your feelings on them? I've an impression something's holding you back.
    • James1294
    • By James1294 4th Jul 18, 7:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    James1294
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:55 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:55 PM
    The only thing thats holding me back is the money, im only 24 years of age! I assume career progression is hetter at this age and the money will come with it? Am i right in saying that? I have a site visit on monday its kronospan in Wrexham they have 600 employees at the site so preety big company
    • James1294
    • By James1294 4th Jul 18, 8:14 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    James1294
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:14 PM
    You've said nothing about the company and its people. what are your feelings on them? I've an impression something's holding you back.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    The only thing thats holding me back is the money, im only 24 years of age! I assume career progression is hetter at this age and the money will come with it? Am i right in saying that? I have a site visit on monday its kronospan in Wrexham they have 600 employees at the site so preety big company
    • campbell19925
    • By campbell19925 4th Jul 18, 8:14 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    campbell19925
    Originally posted by James1294
    Career progression over money any day. If you're stuck in a job with no progression its going to eat away at you eventually and you'd wish you could try something new.

I had a very easy sales job earning 2k+ comms each month but was offered another job doing something completely different with no guarantee of commission beyond a 3month guarantee period - but with the promise of progression after this 3 month period.

I'm now starting to do a 1 day a week training day to be an advisor which is a double in salary for me

I suppose each scenario is different but I would take a change in career unless your old company is prepared to match what theyre offering !
    • AstroTurtle
    • By AstroTurtle 5th Jul 18, 9:21 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    AstroTurtle
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:21 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:21 AM
    Originally posted by James1294
    2,000 less is only around 114 per month less after tax.

You'll save that in fuel each month.

Less money is more money in this situation.

It's better to have 1,500 per month with 200 in fuel than to have 1600 per month with 350 in fuel.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 5th Jul 18, 9:32 AM
    • 5,185 Posts
    • 7,237 Thanks
    Kynthia
    As others have said, the reduction in your payslip each month will be less than you think once you factir in the tax, NI, and pension contributions deducted. 2k a year isn't that great a difference.

Then factor in less petrol, less travel time, free education and better prospects then to me it's a no brainer if it's only the money that's holding you back.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,066Posts Today

8,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin