Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Programmer
    • By Programmer 4th Jul 18, 3:24 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Programmer
    Son's motor accident - how to settle
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:24 PM
    Son's motor accident - how to settle 4th Jul 18 at 3:24 PM
    I've just had a phone call from my 25 year old son. He was turning right on to a main road in fairly slow moving traffic. Somebody let him in but he had to nose forward slowly as visibility was impeded by a lorry. A motorcyclist hit the car and the rider came off. Police and ambulance were called. Brief facts:

* no damage to car apart from minor paint scuffing
    * some damage to bike; some instruments a bit loose and handles slightly out of alignment, but rideable
    * rider not seriously hurt but paramedic said he could possibly have a sprained ankle; rider was happy to continue his journey to work (on the bike)
    * after speaking to a witness, policeman said no obvious offence had been committed and said police would take no further action; invited son and rider to sort it out between themselves or with insurers
    * my son remembered his Dad's previous advice and did not offer any apologies or admit blame (that's my boy! )

My son said there was no hostility and they shook hands. On the question of blame, he was unsure. He thought the rider was going too fast, considering he was approaching traffic lights. and the bike hit him, he didn't hit the bike. ...but was my son nudging forward too quickly? Hard to say.

In the post-accident conversation the rider said the damage to the bike would be 300 max (bike value 1000) and invited my son to pay the garage bill, in which case (he said) he would make no insurance claim, either for the bike or his ankle. My son invited him to let him know the cost but made no commitment. The insurers already know about this offer, by the way. The black box in my son's car registered the impact and they were on the phone immediately. The insurer's initial advice is for my son to pay the garage bill, in which case (they say) the incident will be treated as a non-event and have no impact on future premiums.

My son now wants my advice. My first thought was he should pay this garage bill and keep the whole matter out of the hands of the insurers. But I'm having second thoughts. This bike rider SAYS he will not take further action if his bike repair costs are met, but what is to stop him settling in front of the TV in the afternoon, watching an ad put out by some firm of ambulance-chasing solicitors, and immediately rushing out to buy a walking frame, neck brace, crutches and other where-there's-a-blame-there's-a-claim requisites, then phoning the 0800 number, pound signs flashing in his revolving eyeballs? And if my son pays this bill, could that be taken as an admission of responsibility is some future compensation claim?

By the way, the 300 approx would be easily affordable and not a problem.
Page 3
    • Programmer
    • By Programmer 6th Jul 18, 8:17 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Programmer
    Many thanks for all these contributions. I put them before my son then sat on the fence (I'd make a great politician) and said he'd have to decide what to do. And here's what he did....

He decided the biker would be as good as his word. He typed out a very short document, not mentioning the settlement at all, in which each party made mirror statements absolving the other from blame and declaring the matter closed. He invited the biker round and they signed the document (so two signatures each), at the same time as my son transferring the money via his laptop.

Whether he has acted wisely or not remains to be seen. My son did say something which assured me to some degree. The biker conceded he had been travelling at about 20 mph at the time of impact, which is much too fast considering a red light was just yards in front of him. He would hardly have said that if he had been secretly plotting to pocket the money then make an insurance claim. Also, he made no attempt to negotiate the wording on the document.

As someone above has said, it's now a waiting game.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 6th Jul 18, 10:38 PM
    • 17,305 Posts
    • 10,444 Thanks
    motorguy
    Would you still rather pay the 300?
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    Yes, absolutely because the biker is happy to take it from the O/Ps son that 300 is handed over to the guy and its closed off.

Telling the guy sure just claim off my insurance would be an open invitation.

Pay the 300, declare it to the insurance company (which the O/P has done already in terms of the accident so its just a matter of letting them know its settled @ 300 and no outlay to them) and you're pretty much home in a boat.

Insurance goes up a few pounds for a year or two.

As i said in the first of my posts you quoted settling it like that will put his insurance up with minimal effect - borne out by that sample quote i ran
    Last edited by motorguy; 06-07-2018 at 10:42 PM.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 6th Jul 18, 10:41 PM
    • 17,305 Posts
    • 10,444 Thanks
    motorguy
    Many thanks for all these contributions. I put them before my son then sat on the fence (I'd make a great politician) and said he'd have to decide what to do. And here's what he did....

He decided the biker would be as good as his word. He typed out a very short document, not mentioning the settlement at all, in which each party made mirror statements absolving the other from blame and declaring the matter closed. He invited the biker round and they signed the document (so two signatures each), at the same time as my son transferring the money via his laptop.

Whether he has acted wisely or not remains to be seen. My son did say something which assured me to some degree. The biker conceded he had been travelling at about 20 mph at the time of impact, which is much too fast considering a red light was just yards in front of him. He would hardly have said that if he had been secretly plotting to pocket the money then make an insurance claim. Also, he made no attempt to negotiate the wording on the document.

As someone above has said, it's now a waiting game.
    Originally posted by Programmer
    I think hes done all he can at this stage. If the guy has accepted the money and is happy then thats fantastic. He "might" change his mind and submit a claim later but i'd have thought its unlikely.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,021Posts Today

7,254Users online

Martin's Twitter