Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tillaay
    • By tillaay 4th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tillaay
    Moving out early - faulty boiler
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    Moving out early - faulty boiler 4th Jul 18 at 2:51 PM
    Hey all, just looking for some advice regarding my rights as a tenant and the possibility of moving out before my contract ends.

My partner and I moved into a rented flat last year and it has been racking up massive electricity bills since then, originally we were paying them as we believed the bills were due to us using a lot of electricity. We had a repair man come round to fix the immersion heater in January as it began leaking everywhere. He said that the immersion heater was so old that you couldn't even buy spare parts for it anymore and the manufacturer now doesn't exist. He also said that this us probably why we have been receiving huge electricity bills which turned out to be the case.

Since then we have had no hot water from the taps (we have an electric shower which heats the water separately) We have contacted the estate agent many times since then and they have sent 3 contractors out which all confirmed that the immersion heater needed to be re-fitted. The most recent contractor also said that it was actually a health risk as the pressure of the heater would become unsafe if left on. We contacted the collections branch of the estate agent who advised us to pay half the rent until the problem is fixed. However now the local estate agent are telling us that we need to pay the full rent plus all electricity bills.

We are unsure what to do in this situation and all we want to do is move out now. What are our rights in regards to the landlord breaching the tenancy agreement and moving out early?

Thank you
    Last edited by tillaay; 04-07-2018 at 4:07 PM. Reason: changed boiler to immersion heater
Page 1
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 4th Jul 18, 2:53 PM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 2,445 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:53 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:53 PM
    You have an electric boiler? (they do exist but are you sure)
    Loose means not tight, Lose means something is lost, simples no?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • tillaay
    • By tillaay 4th Jul 18, 2:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tillaay
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:58 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:58 PM
    It's an electric immersion heater (Churchill Imstor)
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 4th Jul 18, 3:00 PM
    • 13,280 Posts
    • 19,114 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:00 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:00 PM
    Hey all, just looking for some advice regarding my rights as a tenant and the possibility of moving out before my contract ends.

My partner and I moved into a rented flat last year and it has been racking up massive electricity bills since then, originally we were paying them as we believed the bills were due to us using a lot of electricity. We had a repair man come round to fix the boiler in January as it began leaking everywhere. He said that the boiler was so old that you couldn't even buy spare parts for it anymore and the manufacturer now doesn't exist. He also said that this us probably why we have been receiving huge electricity bills which turned out to be the case.

Since then we have had no hot water from the taps (we have an electric shower which heats the water separately) We have contacted the estate agent many times since then and they have sent 3 contractors out which all confirmed that the boiler needed to be re-fitted. The most recent contractor also said that if the boiler was actually a health risk as the pressure of the boiler would become unsafe if left on. We contacted the collections branch of the estate agent who advised us to pay half the rent until the problem is fixed. However now the local estate agent are telling us that we need to pay the full rent plus all electricity bills.

We are unsure what to do in this situation and all we want to do is move out now. What are our rights in regards to the landlord breaching the tenancy agreement and moving out early?

Thank you
    Originally posted by tillaay
    A faulty boiler does not give you the legal right to unilaterally end your tenancy early. Legally you need to pay the full rent amount as per your tenancy agreement and you need to pay your electricity bill. Withholding rent means your landlord could evict you using the Section 8 route.

There is a process to follow if your landlord won't carry out repairs. Step 1 is to write to the address for the serving of notices given in your tenancy agreement about the repair.

See Shelter's guide: What to do if your landlord won't do repairs.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 4th Jul 18, 3:51 PM
    • 11,070 Posts
    • 14,615 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:51 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:51 PM
    The most recent contractor also said that if the boiler was actually a health risk as the pressure of the boiler would become unsafe if left on.
    If a gas safe engineer thought it was unsafe, they would condemn it and you'd not be allowed to use it. If 'at risk', he should have still asked to disconnect it. You'd prob have actually been in a better position had he done that cos the LL would prob have been forced to replace it.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes; Thai cooking stuff; Jo Brand talk; Slime Factory; Flawless tickets; Comedy night tickets
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 4th Jul 18, 3:53 PM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 2,445 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:53 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:53 PM
    If a gas safe engineer thought it was unsafe, they would condemn it and you'd not be allowed to use it. If 'at risk', he should have still asked to disconnect it. You'd prob have actually been in a better position had he done that cos the LL would prob have been forced to replace it.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Yes but have you seen post 3 ?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 4th Jul 18, 3:55 PM
    • 9,076 Posts
    • 9,670 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:55 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:55 PM
    It's an electric immersion heater
    Ok, it would be less confusing for everyone else if you called it that. "Boiler" usually suggests gas.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 4th Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 2,471 Thanks
    parkrunner
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    How big have the electricity bills been?
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 4th Jul 18, 4:02 PM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 2,445 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 4th Jul 18, 4:02 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 4:02 PM
    Originally posted by parkrunner
    Doesn't really matter, the OP must have used it if readings are all correct. Electricity cannot leak away.
    • tillaay
    • By tillaay 4th Jul 18, 4:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tillaay
    around £187 a month for a small 1 bedroom flat - & really sorry i should've mentioned it was an immersion heater
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 4th Jul 18, 5:15 PM
    • 11,070 Posts
    • 14,615 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Yes but have you seen post 3 ?
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    Where's that :facepalm: when you need it lol.

Ta
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes; Thai cooking stuff; Jo Brand talk; Slime Factory; Flawless tickets; Comedy night tickets
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 4th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 2,471 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Doesn't really matter, the OP must have used it if readings are all correct. Electricity cannot leak away.
    Originally posted by Alter ego

It would matter if the bills were big in the eyes of the OP only, they have now posted the amount which is extreme.
    • Lunchbox
    • By Lunchbox 4th Jul 18, 9:02 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    Lunchbox
    It would matter if the bills were big in the eyes of the OP only, they have now posted the amount which is extreme.
    Not an extreme amount for an immersion heater being left on all the time though? It sounds like the OP may have been using it incorrectly; they should only be left on for an hour or so and then turned off as they’ll keep water hot for hours.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 4th Jul 18, 9:12 PM
    • 45,929 Posts
    • 55,454 Thanks
    G_M
    Yes more details needed.

* is the emeersiion on 24/7 or on a time-switch?
    * if time-switch, what hours?
    * what is the hot water used for? Baths? showers? central heating?......?
    * how much hot water is used eg 3 full baths per day or one shower or what?
    * how big is the tank that the emersion is heating?
    • takman
    • By takman 5th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    • 3,777 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    takman
    around £187 a month for a small 1 bedroom flat - & really sorry i should've mentioned it was an immersion heater
    I don't understand why you didn't investigate why you were using so much electricity as soon as you realised it was so much considering the size of the property.

But it's not an extreme amount if you left the immersion heater on most of the time so i don't think you can expect the landlord to pay your bills, but they should replace it if it's not working.

Although it's not really a massive inconvenience to have no hot water. You still have your shower and you can boil the kettle to wash dishes etc so i don't see you have grounds to end the tenancy early.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 5th Jul 18, 10:15 AM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 3,185 Thanks
    coffeehound
    It sounds like the thermostat had failed 'on' and so was constantly trying to boil the water, hence the safety hazard.

Was it leaking water into the flat, or was that just leaking outside through the overflow pipe? Is it leaking indoors?
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 5th Jul 18, 1:03 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 2,471 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Not an extreme amount for an immersion heater being left on all the time though? It sounds like the OP may have been using it incorrectly; they should only be left on for an hour or so and then turned off as they’ll keep water hot for hours.
    Originally posted by Lunchbox

In my previous home it was never turned off, obviously it was controlled by a thermostat so automatically switched off when the water reached the required temperature. Never had large bills.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,391Posts Today

6,562Users online

Martin's Twitter