Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sanora
    • By sanora 4th Jul 18, 2:49 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 7Thanks
    sanora
    What to do?
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:49 PM
    What to do? 4th Jul 18 at 2:49 PM
    Hi
    I am looking for advice with regard to the most tax efficient way to access a couple pension pots from previous employment while retiring form my Local Government Job.
    I will be 65 in 18 months and have decided to retire. I have 2 pension pots from previous employment and 15 years’ service in the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS). I am looking for the most efficient way to access the funds without being hammered by tax. A number of questions come to mind and I am left wondering what to do and have I considered everything. Perhaps some of you could give me advice? I am thinking of taking the maximum lump sum from my LGPS and topping up my reduced LGPS monthly pension by drawing down 25% cash free from one of the pension pots leaving the rest in the pot to access at a later date. As the other pot has a value of £20k I was thinking of cashing this all in and taking the tax hit.
    Can you please advise me of the most efficient way to go about the above or is there an even better way to get the most out of my funds?
Page 1
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 4th Jul 18, 3:45 PM
    • 11,052 Posts
    • 7,610 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:45 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:45 PM
    Do you want to leave your two pensions IHT-free to, say, spouse or children? If not then you presumably want simply to draw them but avoid income tax?

You plan to retire when: now or at 65?

Is 65 your scheme retirement age for LPGS? How big will your LPGS pension be at retirement?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • sanora
    • By sanora 4th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    sanora
    • 4th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    Hi

Looking to retire September aged 63.5 years. Looking to use pension pots to fund retirement rather than leave to children or spouse - savings will see them fine. Haven't got figures for LGPS as I don't want to flag it up to my employer just yet.

The decision is made - just want to keep as much of the pension pots as I can.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 4th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    • 25,762 Posts
    • 15,222 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 4th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    Have you obtained a state pension statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

Do you receive an annual statement from LGPS concerning your pension benefits?

If your LGPS pension would be reduced by taking it early, why not leave it deferred and draw down the DC pensions to fund you to Normal Retirement Age?

If the two DC pots were transferred to a SIPP, you could take the 25% tax free lump sum as a salary replacement for as long as the money lasts and then draw down the balance monthly?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

399Posts Today

5,446Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin