Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 4th Jul 18, 1:54 PM
    • 4,631Posts
    • 4,216Thanks
    dekaspace
    What course is for me?
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:54 PM
    What course is for me? 4th Jul 18 at 1:54 PM
    I just completed a intentionally low qualification course to get me back into the routine, boost confidence, get a refernece etc.

I applied for 4 courses at different colleges and was accepted to each one but debating which one to go to.

Course 1 travel and tourism course at local college, only thing going for it to me is its local i.e 15-25 minutes on bus (heavy traffic congestion around college) so that one is a almost definate no.

Course 2, a media course at a excellent college, has lecturers who have done work for BBC and ITV, work experience for local tv stations involved, its the furthest away course but easiest to get to, a mile to local train station, 20 minutes on one train that runs every 10 minutes, 10 minutes on another train that runs every 7 minutes and a 10 minute walk to college.

Course 3 another media course, also has lecturers who have worked in the industry but very awkward to get to, I can get a bus from town where I live but rush hour traffic means I will have to leave around 7.15 in morning to get there on time despite it only being 15 miles away, amazing facilities and I had an aptitude assessment at the interview which I passed with 100% and told they want me into the highest level!.

Course 4 is the odd one out, its more of an access course/designed for people who have limited qualifcations and been out of education for a long time, however it has work experience and fundraising on the course which would be good for CV, its a 5 month course and only 2 days a week whilst the others are 3 days a week, not that difficult to get to but not easy either, quite far away but again 20-30 minutes on one train, and 10 minutes on another problem there is the trains to that destination from main train station are once every 30 minutes, there is buses that run every 15 minutes but they take 25-30 minutes, its a excellent college and I know the area well as used to live around the corner for a few months 10 years back.

So its debating what course is best, what travel arrangement is best etc.

Didn't expect to get accepted for all the courses!
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Jul 18, 2:25 PM
    • 20,993 Posts
    • 16,773 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:25 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:25 PM
    The best course is the one that provides you with the best opportunity to move into whatever career you want to pursue. As you haven't told us what work you hope to do it's impossible for us to say anything about the courses.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 4th Jul 18, 2:36 PM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:36 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:36 PM
    Im not doing them for a career im doing it to build skills and transferrable things that lead into a career/

I forgot Course 3 is a mixed Computing and Media course, I looked at that because the IT side can be used for other fields.

I am mostly looking at doing office work, IT work, tech support, social media IT worker so mostly IT stuff but media covers a lot of that these days.

Course 4 may be all over the place with numeracy and communications modules but increases my basic skills, and guarantees interview for any course if you complete it.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Jul 18, 7:49 PM
    • 20,993 Posts
    • 16,773 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:49 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:49 PM
    But you surely have some idea of what career you want to do eventually? If not then just doing random courses could prove to be an expensive waste of time.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 4th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    I don't pay for them its fee exempt, and I am in my mid thirties and been out of work near a decade (part of that was university which I left due to depression after a family members death)

The original course I did was media but its changed since then and oversaturated industry. I was looking into electronics but nowhere around me does those courses its all engineering courses I did get accepted for a electronics course 3 years ago but it didn't run due to lack of applicants.

Im looking at courses that have transferrable skills, media can improve my computer based skills and useful for future, IT/digital media means I get a IT based qualifcation (part of the course involves programming)

Also media based courses can help me in careers like office based, but a lot of jobs even office based I have been applying for in past few months mention they have a big social media presence so its good for staff to have knowledge in media to respond to tweets, and maintain the website again both media courses cover this.

Better than say travel and tourism, and social sciences I am assuming.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,649Posts Today

6,178Users online

Martin's Twitter