Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Castlerock
    • By Castlerock 4th Jul 18, 1:31 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Castlerock
    Solarplicity calling to install a new meter
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:31 PM
    Solarplicity calling to install a new meter 4th Jul 18 at 1:31 PM
    I have been with Solarplicity for about 2 months and I got a call from today. They said that they wanted to change my electricity meter because of a new software update. When I said that my meter was only about was just over a year old they said that it had to be changed and try to get me to book a slot to change the meter. I asked them about the software, they said that the meter would help me save money. When I asked if the meter was a smart meter they said yes. They also said that they could install the meter without the smart meter software. I declined but they insisted that they had to install it as it was part of the terms and conditions of supply. When mentioned that there was no notice on their website or when i signed up that i had to get a meter they still maintained that I had to get one installed. After a few minutes of refusing to get the meter installed, they finally acknowledged that i didn't want or need a smart meter.

So be aware - if Solarplicity call asking to arranged a date to install a new meter because of a sofware update. Its to install a smart meter.
    Last edited by Castlerock; 04-07-2018 at 1:38 PM.
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 4th Jul 18, 1:44 PM
    • 6,138 Posts
    • 3,927 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:44 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:44 PM
    I have been with Solarplicity for about 2 months and I got a call from today. They said that they wanted to change my electricity meter because of a new software update. When I said that my meter was only about was just over a year old they said that it had to be changed and try to get me to book a slot to change the meter. I asked them about the software, they said that the meter would help me save money. When I asked if the meter was a smart meter they said yes. They also said that they could install the meter without the smart meter software. I declined but they insisted that they had to install it as it was part of the terms and conditions of supply. When mentioned that there was no notice on their website or when i signed up that i had to get a meter they still maintained that I had to get one installed. After a few minutes of refusing to get the meter installed, they finally acknowledged that i didn't want or need a smart meter.

So be aware - if Solarplicity call asking to arranged a date to install a new meter because of a sofware update. Its to install a smart meter.
    Originally posted by Castlerock
    You might wish to pass on this sorry tale to consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk

I would hope that they would not condone this type of behaviour.
    • BIC
    • By BIC 5th Jul 18, 9:22 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BIC
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:22 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:22 AM
    I signed up to Solarplicity about 2 months now. One of the biggest mistake of my life. I have tried ringing them on several occasions with no success. They haven't passed on my meter reading to the old supplier as they said they would when I signed up. I spent 30 minutes waiting for them to answer the phone and then I hang up. Another time i waited for 10 minutes and I hang up. Today I am off work so I ring dead on 9:00 o'clock and I am still waiting 16 minutes later. What is annoying is that I will have to pay them to opt out of the contract. I am sure they do not have a customer service department to answer queries; only one to get you signed up and take your money out of your account. I am so fed up of this I can feel my blood pressure hitting the roof. 21 minutes later they are still experiencing high volume of call.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

241Posts Today

1,229Users online

Martin's Twitter