Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 4th Jul 18, 12:48 PM
    • 4,462Posts
    • 1,951Thanks
    aardvaak
    Travelling to London
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:48 PM
    Travelling to London 4th Jul 18 at 12:48 PM
    On Monday I am going to London on the train (the first time in over 20 years) I have bought online a ticket on the overground to Liverpool Street.
    How do I pay on the underground

Can I pay by credit card?
    Do I have to get an Oyster card?
    Can I buy a ticket online?
    Does anyone know the cost?

What trains do I need to Euston?
    Is it better to take the bus if so how and how much?
Page 2
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Jul 18, 7:00 PM
    • 10,938 Posts
    • 11,483 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    In addition to the advice above, you are looking for this symbol on the ticket gates. You place your card on the reader - it beeps and opens the gates.

Buses are slightly cheaper than the Tube in London, and Route 205 goes all the way from Liverpool Street to Euston (takes around 35 mins). On buses, you place your Oyster/Contactless card on the reader as you board and it covers you for the whole journey. You don't scan your card when you get off. The flat fare is 1.50.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 4th Jul 18, 7:11 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    stragglebod
    The 205 is a more interesting journey - up through Shoreditch and Islington - Met/Circle/H&C tube to Euston Sq for speed.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 4th Jul 18, 9:29 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    aardvaak
    You tap in at the first barrier at Liverpool Street then tap out when you arrive at Euston, there aren't barriers between the different tube lines.

I would be inclined to stay on the Met/Circle line to Euston Square, it's less hassle than changing lines at Moorgate, and a 5 min walk from Euston mainline. Have a look on google maps to see where it is in relation to where you are going.

The Met/Circle line trains are also air conditioned, Northern Line isn't
    Originally posted by peachyprice

I didn't realize Euston was on the circle I thought I had to change
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Jul 18, 9:32 PM
    • 10,938 Posts
    • 11,483 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I didn't realize Euston was on the circle I thought I had to change
    Originally posted by aardvaak
    There are two stations close to each other: Euston and Euston Square.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 4th Jul 18, 10:10 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    aardvaak
    There are two stations close to each other: Euston and Euston Square.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia

Which one is on the circle & is Liverpool st on the circle?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 4th Jul 18, 10:15 PM
    • 19,890 Posts
    • 46,040 Thanks
    peachyprice
    As above. It would be frankly daft to go via Oxford Circus. Just get any westbound train from LIverpool St (Circle, District or Metropolitan) and get off at Euston Square. Changing trains will add far more time than the brief walk from Euston Square to Euston mainline.
    Originally posted by macman
    District doesn't go through Liverpool st.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 4th Jul 18, 10:19 PM
    • 19,890 Posts
    • 46,040 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Which one is on the circle & is Liverpool st on the circle?
    Euston Square is on the Circle and Hammersmith & City, and yes Liverpool St is on the Circle Line/Hammersmith & City too. But both lines share the same platform and you can get on either, they both take the exact same route, you just need to get on the first train that comes along.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 4th Jul 18, 10:20 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    aardvaak
    District doesn't go through Liverpool st.

I asked about the circle
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 4th Jul 18, 10:22 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    aardvaak
    Euston Square is on the Circle/Hammersmith & City, and yes Liverpool St is on the Circle Line and Hammersmith & City too. But both lines share the same platform and you can get on either, they both take the exact same route, you just need to get on the first train that comes along.

Thank you so I can get on the circle at Liverpool St and go to Euston square without changing?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 4th Jul 18, 10:23 PM
    • 19,890 Posts
    • 46,040 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I asked about the circle
    I know you did. I was replying to macman who said you could take District too, which you can't. (I wouldn't want you thinking you were in the wrong place because you couldn't see the District Line)
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 4th Jul 18, 10:25 PM
    • 19,890 Posts
    • 46,040 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Thank you so I can get on the circle at Liverpool St and go to Euston square without changing?
    Yes, you can.

If a Ham & City train comes first you can get on that too, no need to miss it to get on a Circle Line specifically, both go the same way.

This will all make sense when you follow the signs at Liverpool Street, yours will be yellow and burgundy with Circle Line and Hammersmith & City on them, you just need to follow the signs for westbound, and there will be a map of the line by the footbridge so you can double check you're going the right way.
    Last edited by peachyprice; 04-07-2018 at 10:29 PM.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 4th Jul 18, 11:18 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    aardvaak
    I know you did. I was replying to macman who said you could take District too, which you can't. (I wouldn't want you thinking you were in the wrong place because you couldn't see the District Line)

Sorry I didn't know you were replying to an earlier post
    Last edited by aardvaak; 05-07-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 4th Jul 18, 11:23 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    aardvaak
    Thank you everyone - One last question is should I and if so how get an Oyster card or just use a contactless card?

Are there any advantages of getting an Oyster card?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 4th Jul 18, 11:38 PM
    • 10,587 Posts
    • 10,972 Thanks
    KeithP
    Are there any advantages of getting an Oyster card?
    None for the casual user like yourself - especially if your are only going to visit London once every twenty years.

The big advantage of contactless is that you do not have to specifically 'load' funds onto the card.

My advice for you would be contactless every time.

Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but if more than one person is travelling then each person needs a separate contactless card.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 5th Jul 18, 8:54 AM
    • 21,405 Posts
    • 17,226 Thanks
    agrinnall

Yes, I told you that as far back as post #9, and others have said the same thing subsequently. I also suggested that you use the TfL journey planner, which will tell you whether you need to change at all and how much walking is involved. Rather than continually asking the same question on here perhaps you should do a bit of research yourself, here's a good starting point

https://tfl.gov.uk/maps
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 5th Jul 18, 9:52 AM
    • 2,254 Posts
    • 11,598 Thanks
    NBLondon
    You may also get classical music over the Tannoy at Euston Square
    Womble #7 - Running Total 21.23 $4.28 6.03 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.25 NZ$0.55 C$0.89 S$0.20 zl0.12 (Polish zloty) LB0.22 (Bulgarian lev) ISKr5.0 DKr1.0 CHF0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti dinar) MDL0.25 (Moldovan leu) YUM 1.0 (Yugoslav dinar)
    • macman
    • By macman 5th Jul 18, 12:25 PM
    • 42,783 Posts
    • 18,031 Thanks
    macman
    Apologies and thanks for pointing out that the District does not run through Liverpool St: I meant to say the Hammersmith and City of course.
    OP: you are overthinking this. Any westbound train from Liverpool St will take you direct to Euston Square, they all stop there, and they all start from the same platform at Liverpool St (there are only 2 platforms anyway, excepting the Central line, which is down an escalator and entirely separate).
    Pointless to buy an Oyster if you have a contactless debit card.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 5th Jul 18, 1:02 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 3,074 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    When I go up to London from the Portsmouth area I normally buy an all in one ticket which includes tubes and buses and seems the cheapest way for me. Last time it got me to Wembley Stadium, so not just the inner zones covered.

Would that be an option on your next trip from where you are?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Jul 18, 1:49 PM
    • 10,587 Posts
    • 10,972 Thanks
    KeithP
    When I go up to London from the Portsmouth area I normally buy an all in one ticket which includes tubes and buses and seems the cheapest way for me. Last time it got me to Wembley Stadium, so not just the inner zones covered.

Would that be an option on your next trip from where you are?
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    But that type of ticket, a Travelcard, is unlikely to be good value for one additional tube journey.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 21st Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    aardvaak
    Just to let everyone know my journey was totally successful thanks to the help on here.
    I was very please to here of showing my contactless card at the barriers the charge appeared on my account a couple of days later all correct.

As it is over 20 years since I traveled on a train I was very pleased with the journey from Ipswich to Liverpool Street in very clean, comfortable air conditioned carriages both journeys getting in on time to the second (something I thought only French Railways did).
    Even the tube was clean, comfortable and considering the temp., outside very cool.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,549Posts Today

9,228Users online

Martin's Twitter