Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mishomeister
    • By Mishomeister 4th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 796Posts
    • 190Thanks
    Mishomeister
    Other cars in household question
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    Other cars in household question 4th Jul 18 at 12:42 PM
    I am about to buy and as soon as I have bought it I anticipate to sell my current car within 1-2 weeks.

In the car insurance quote there is a question asking if there are any other cars in the household.

Should I put yes there and then ring the insurance people as soon as I have sold the car to say there is only one car that I currently have?

Or is it possible to avoid the hassle and possible expense for the insurance amendment by stating there is only one car in the household?
    Or would I by doing so invalidate my insurance?
Page 1
    • huckster
    • By huckster 5th Jul 18, 6:08 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    huckster
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:08 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 6:08 AM
    Question is asked because you may be driving other cars and so may other named drivers on your policy.

You will need to continue Insurance on the car you are selling, unless you SORN it and keep it off the road.

Why not speak to your Insurance provider to find out best option. Perhaps you change car on policy and also retain temporary cover on the car you are selling for relevant period.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • Mishomeister
    • By Mishomeister 5th Jul 18, 8:37 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Mishomeister
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:37 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:37 AM
    Question is asked because you may be driving other cars and so may other named drivers on your policy.

You will need to continue Insurance on the car you are selling, unless you SORN it and keep it off the road.

Why not speak to your Insurance provider to find out best option. Perhaps you change car on policy and also retain temporary cover on the car you are selling for relevant period.
    Originally posted by huckster

My understanding behind the reasoning of that question is if you drive other cars you are less likely to have an accident on the subject car.
    So by saying this is my only car I am not disadvantaging insurers in any way?
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 6th Jul 18, 7:21 AM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:21 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:21 AM
    Why are you getting a new quote? Is your policy up at the same time?

When I've done this I've changed vehicle with my insurer, told them what I was doing and taken temporary additional vehicle cover on my old car. Costs were modest, around 20 for the extra cover but they would only allow a short period - around 10 days from memory.

Some situations a web form just doesn't cut it. It's better speaking to a human being.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 6th Jul 18, 9:12 AM
    • 22,499 Posts
    • 11,101 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:12 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:12 AM
    My understanding behind the reasoning of that question is if you drive other cars you are less likely to have an accident on the subject car.

That was my first thought, but do bear in mind you might be able to drive other cars on THIS insurance (called DOC or "driving other cars").
    In that case they are disadvantaged.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

111Posts Today

1,117Users online

Martin's Twitter