Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NewInvestor35
    • By NewInvestor35 4th Jul 18, 12:40 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 3Thanks
    NewInvestor35
    Vanguard LS80 - am I missing out on anything
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:40 PM
    Vanguard LS80 - am I missing out on anything 4th Jul 18 at 12:40 PM
    Hi,

I've searched this forum for the answer to my query, but I'm still unsure. At the moment, I have £20,000 in Vanguard LS80 (ISA) via Vanguard Investor as well as £750 in 3 Baillie Gifford ITs (Japan, Scottish American and Scottish Mortgage to be precise).

I have a further £20,000 in my Vanguard general account to invest until April, at which point I will Bed and ISA. I could put the second £20,000 it into LS80 as well, but some of the comments I've read during my research made me think that there could be other areas that LS80 doesn't really hit? A few users suggested that LS80 was 'UK heavy' and that a global small cap index fund might make a good addition, albeit only a small %. The asset allocation side is one I'm still trying to better understand, so please accept my apologies.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • bcfclee27
    • By bcfclee27 4th Jul 18, 12:58 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    bcfclee27
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:58 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:58 PM
    I've posted several times on things like this to do with vls80 and adding small caps.

With all the info I just kept it simple and left it in vls80 without adding the small cap.

Basically with those amounts it probably won't make a lot of difference either way so it's up to you whether you think owning that proportion of smaller companies is worth doing.
    • Prism
    • By Prism 4th Jul 18, 1:14 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    Prism
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:14 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:14 PM
    The higher percentage of UK equities in VLS80 is overstated IMO. There is no actual problem with having a higher percentage UK invested. Theoretically that reduces the currency exposure. However VLS80 invests in the FTSE All Share which is dominated by the FTSE 100, which itself is heavily focused on big global companies which are very much affected by currency changes. In addition, the FTSE is heavy on miners and oil companies which may or may not be a good thing.

So if you want to change things a little you could invest in mid size or smaller companies. Global if you don't mind currency risks or UK if you do. UK mid cap and smaller company funds tend to do quite well.

Is it all worth it? Unless you dedicate a reasonable percentage to it probably not.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 4th Jul 18, 2:02 PM
    • 2,428 Posts
    • 1,722 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:02 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:02 PM
    Fear of "missing something" is common with investors and it can lead to some silly and risky investments. An excess global small cap allocation will probably increase the volatility of your portfolio, but there are studies that it can improve risk/return metrics. However, it's debatable. Being overweighted in the UK isn't a terrible thing when you are a UK resident. So more VLS80 will be just fine. You won't keep up with the high flyers swinging on the Asian small cap trapeze, but you also won't be risking a really nasty fall to the sawdust.

Prisms comments are well taken, but remember there is no one correct solution here, just a vast number of choices and possible ways of success or failure, so don't worry that you are missing something. It just might be a good thing to miss.
    Last edited by bostonerimus; 04-07-2018 at 2:07 PM.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • NewInvestor35
    • By NewInvestor35 4th Jul 18, 3:05 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    NewInvestor35
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:05 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:05 PM
    Thank you for the input. Sounds like I'm as well leaving alone.

Bostonerimus - definitely, it's really easy to think you're missing out on something. That's mainly why I posted here first! I guess in my situation, I am being a little impatient in so much that I am only just starting out, but will have quite a good amount of funds to invest after this and feel like I'm 'playing catch up', which I dare say could be recipe for disaster with the wrong person behind the mouse buttons.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 4th Jul 18, 4:06 PM
    • 2,428 Posts
    • 1,722 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    • 4th Jul 18, 4:06 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 4:06 PM
    Thank you for the input. Sounds like I'm as well leaving alone.

Bostonerimus - definitely, it's really easy to think you're missing out on something. That's mainly why I posted here first! I guess in my situation, I am being a little impatient in so much that I am only just starting out, but will have quite a good amount of funds to invest after this and feel like I'm 'playing catch up', which I dare say could be recipe for disaster with the wrong person behind the mouse buttons.
    Originally posted by NewInvestor35
    As a beginner something like VLS80 is a good place to be, it's not bad for an experienced investor either. Educate yourself about asset allocation and investing so that as your portfolio grows you can make sound judgements. The best things you can do for success aren't necessarily fund choices though, the are using all the tax efficient accounts you have available......so ISAs and pensions.....and controlling your spending. Get those right and invest regularly. That's all I did for 30 years and now I'm financially independent. Success isn't guaranteed, but you can make it more probable by following a few simple rules.
    Last edited by bostonerimus; 04-07-2018 at 4:56 PM.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 4th Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    • 61,099 Posts
    • 54,322 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 4th Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    as well as £750 in 3 Baillie Gifford ITs (Japan, Scottish American and Scottish Mortgage to be precise).
    Either increase your holding or sell. Too small to be worthwhile.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 4th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    • 3,696 Posts
    • 3,023 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    Either increase your holding or sell. Too small to be worthwhile.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir

Barely worth the trading fees to sell either - probably best left alone to grow into something bigger.
    • NewInvestor35
    • By NewInvestor35 4th Jul 18, 11:13 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    NewInvestor35
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:13 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:13 PM
    More than happy to increase my BG holdings, that would just mean finding further funds to ensure my ISA is maximised next year. The holdings on BG are increased on a monthly basis anyway, albeit only by £30 at the moment. How much is a worthwhile amount to increase by, £1,000, £3,000, more?
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 5th Jul 18, 8:03 PM
    • 3,696 Posts
    • 3,023 Thanks
    Alexland
    More than happy to increase my BG holdings, that would just mean finding further funds to ensure my ISA is maximised next year. The holdings on BG are increased on a monthly basis anyway, albeit only by £30 at the moment. How much is a worthwhile amount to increase by, £1,000, £3,000, more?
    If you are doing the BG regular saver plan then you might as well continue and after many years it will hopefully be worth something noteworthy. I do something similar with £50 per month into a BG child savings plan. It's not much of our portfolio but it's still something.

Alex.
    • Cactus_Jack
    • By Cactus_Jack 8th Jul 18, 3:22 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Cactus_Jack
    I started off with VLS but I didn't fancy the UK bias, so I recently moved into Vanguard FTSE Global All-Cap instead. It's only equities though, no bonds element (that is fine by me for my timescale).

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-ftse-global-all-cap-index-fund-gbp-accumulation-shares
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 8th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad
    I'll have over 45k in Vls 100 this year and have decided not to diversify till i have 100k invested assets
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 8th Jul 18, 1:39 PM
    • 2,428 Posts
    • 1,722 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    I'll have over 45k in Vls 100 this year and have decided not to diversify till i have 100k invested assets
    Originally posted by Fatbritabroad
    VLS100 is already very diversified in equities.......you might think about some fixed income/cash
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 8th Jul 18, 4:12 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad
    VLS100 is already very diversified in equities.......you might think about some fixed income/cash
    Originally posted by bostonerimus
    I have 15k in cash and another 10 across two p2p sites as well. Not that im equating p2p with cash but do think of it a bit like corporate bonds (with capital most definitely at risk hence why I'm not doing anything other than investing interest

Sorry for my stupidity but by fixed income you mean bonds? I'm not keen on bonds atm but have come to recognise there are obviously different types. Any particular fund you'd recommend
    • pinkllama
    • By pinkllama 8th Jul 18, 11:25 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    pinkllama
    Bond Fund
    Seeing as you’re happy with the equity allocation of Lifestrategy 100 and wanting a bond fund, then swapping over to Lifestrategy 80 could be a simple solution.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 8th Jul 18, 11:54 PM
    • 2,428 Posts
    • 1,722 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    I have 15k in cash and another 10 across two p2p sites as well. Not that im equating p2p with cash but do think of it a bit like corporate bonds (with capital most definitely at risk hence why I'm not doing anything other than investing interest

Sorry for my stupidity but by fixed income you mean bonds? I'm not keen on bonds atm but have come to recognise there are obviously different types. Any particular fund you'd recommend
    Originally posted by Fatbritabroad
    If you want to reduce volatility an intermediate term (5 to 10 years average maturity) bond fund can help. But as with equities only buy for the long term. Bond funds are probably going to fall in price for a few years so plan to reinvest interest and stay with them for the long haul. The VLS funds with bond allocations might be useful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,834Posts Today

8,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How do you rate your energy provider's recent service? Please vote in the latest MSE site poll? https://t.co/nkYxGbiXqe

• RT @Gillsnatter: "The phrase I hate is: it's only money. Money is one of the biggest causes of divorce it's one of the biggest causes of me?

• RT @TrevorNeal: Thanks Martin! It didn?t go unnoticed. Good to meet you too. We?re more likely to Swing Our Pensions these days..! #MartinL?

• Follow Martin