Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • swoody1362
    • By swoody1362 4th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 3Thanks
    swoody1362
    Letter agent membership scheme - Love your postcode
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    Letter agent membership scheme - Love your postcode 4th Jul 18 at 12:19 PM
    Hi,

I'm due to view a rental property that's dealt with by Love Your Postcode in Birmingham. I've asked about the fees ahead of the viewing and they told me that I had to join their 'membership scheme' for a whopping £1,200 - £1,400. This is non-refundable. They said as part of my membership I'd get guaranteed repairs (which surely I would get anyway) and first choice of another property (which I would not want / need). Their website says they do not take deposits for properties and instead you seen to pay this non-refundable membership fee, although on the phone they told me there was a deposit payable.

It all sounds a bit of a con to me. Does anyone else have experience of these types of membership schemes?

Many thanks,

Simon
Page 2
    • franklee
    • By franklee 5th Jul 18, 2:07 AM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 4,051 Thanks
    franklee
    List of fees a tenant pays here:
    https://www.loveyourpostcode.com/tenant-fee-schedule/

Fees alone look expensive but are you saying they want membership fee of £1,200 - £1,400 as well?

Some novel fees in there too e.g. Failure to attend gas safety/ repairs/ inspection £90.00.

Maintenance call out (made in error) fee £90.00. I guess you had better be an expert and make sure there is a fault before telling them!

Refundable check in & out fee £500.00. What is that about?

Still I give them full marks for innovation
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 5th Jul 18, 5:40 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 1,589 Thanks
    TheBanker
    This is the blurb on their website:

LYP Club Membership

Love Your Postcode does not take custodial deposits for any of its properties. Instead it provides a premium membership contract for all working class applicants that are seeking great quality homes throughout the country.
    Originally posted by swoody1362
    Although I am the son of a Yorkshire coal miner I consider myself to be Middle Middle Class. Does that mean I am not eligible to rent one of these properties? If I apply, will they take into account my working class background and accept my application, or have I missed the boat on this one?
    Make £10 a day challenge: Jan-18: £330 / £400
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 5th Jul 18, 1:37 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 5,284 Thanks
    bap98189
    So having read the various terms that are on their website, let me see if I understand this correctly. If you want to rent a house from them, you first have to join their club and pay a non-refundable membership fee of somewhere around £1200.

Then you have to pay them a £500 holding fee, which really isn't a holding fee as it is non-refundable.

They then charge £360 for arranging the contract, and another £500 as a "check-in" fee.

Then assuming you are single and don't need a guarantor, there is another fee of between £300 and £500 "for return of any property in satisfactory clean order" which isn't a deposit (honest guv) because it would be illegal to take a deposit and not register it with one of the agencies.

So having given them close to £3000 you can then move in. But remember to ensure rent is paid on time and to the agent not the landlord, because if you are late or pay the landlord direct then you have just signed up to a fine <ahem> "exit fee" for leaving their club of 6 months rent.

Wow. And this appears to be legal. Well it isn't new at any rate as they have been operating like this since at least 2015.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 5th Jul 18, 2:05 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    So having read the various terms that are on their website, let me see if I understand this correctly. If you want to rent a house from them, you first have to join their club and pay a non-refundable membership fee of somewhere around £1200.

Then you have to pay them a £500 holding fee, which really isn't a holding fee as it is non-refundable.

They then charge £360 for arranging the contract, and another £500 as a "check-in" fee.

Then assuming you are single and don't need a guarantor, there is another fee of between £300 and £500 "for return of any property in satisfactory clean order" which isn't a deposit (honest guv) because it would be illegal to take a deposit and not register it with one of the agencies.

So having given them close to £3000 you can then move in. But remember to ensure rent is paid on time and to the agent not the landlord, because if you are late or pay the landlord direct then you have just signed up to a fine <ahem> "exit fee" for leaving their club of 6 months rent.

Wow. And this appears to be legal. Well it isn't new at any rate as they have been operating like this since at least 2015.
    Originally posted by bap98189

... So why has no-one reported them to Trading Standards long before now?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 5th Jul 18, 2:07 PM
    • 13,272 Posts
    • 19,098 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Love Your Postcode has reviews on Trust Pilot.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.loveyourpostcode.com

The majority of them are from people named Singh. My particular favourite is..

Fateh
    Fateh!

This Singh is smashing it.

This lion of ours makes all of us UK wide proud. What an acheivement for the Khalsa. Marketing done on another level.

Wow marketing brother. Full support.

Inder Singh
    Interestingly (well not that interesting really), if you look Love Your Postcode up on Companies House there has only been one director, Catalina Lopez Hoyos, since the company was incorporated in August 2012.
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 5th Jul 18, 2:16 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 5,284 Thanks
    bap98189
    ... So why has no-one reported them to Trading Standards long before now?
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Presumably what they are doing is legal.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 5th Jul 18, 2:17 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.loveyourpostcode.com

The majority of them are from people named Singh. My particular favourite is..

Interestingly (well not that interesting really), if you look Love Your Postcode up on Companies House there has only been one director, Catalina Lopez Hoyos, since the company was incorporated in August 2012.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740

Wot? No Singh? This lot are beginning to sound iffier and iffier, notwithstanding the fact that anyone can and frequently does post reviews for their own business on Trustpilot/similar sites. They are not worth the paper they are written on. It is actually tragic that anyone not named Singh is so desperate they would touch these charlatans with a barge pole.

Theresa May + cronies would do much better to go after the likes of these and forget about inflicting 3 year tenancies on LLs and, more to the point, the poor unfortunates who have to live next door to their tenants.
    Last edited by Smodlet; 05-07-2018 at 2:19 PM.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 5th Jul 18, 2:26 PM
    • 13,272 Posts
    • 19,098 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Presumably what they are doing is legal.
    Originally posted by bap98189
    I don't know about that. An AST by any other name is still an AST just like a deposit is a deposit no matter what Love Your Postcode want to call it. The problem is that it would take a tenant who has been shafted by Love Your Postcode to challenge them in court for not protecting their deposit or an illegal eviction and not all tenants understand their rights or have the wherewithal to fight them. Hopefully the vast majority of tenants are like the OP who realise it's a massive rip off before handing over any money.
    • madvicker
    • By madvicker 5th Jul 18, 2:29 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    madvicker
    Interestingly, the vast majority of 5* reviews on trustpilot for them are by 'people' who have written just a single review. Bots perhaps? Or family and friends?
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 5th Jul 18, 2:35 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 5,284 Thanks
    bap98189
    The reviews are so obviously fake it's comical. I'm sure there are companies who write more believable fake reviews, but they clearly didn't engage them.
    • Buying our first home made easy. We avoided the waiting list and got the first appointment. It helped that we were loyal and big fans of Bobby Singh
    • This Singh is smashing it. This lion of ours makes all of us UK wide proud. What an acheivement for the Khalsa. Marketing done on another level. Wow marketing brother. Full support.
    • Itís always been about love and happiness with this agent.

There is also the imaginatively titled a Love Your Postcode 2 Limited which was incorporated in 2016. Same address, same woman named as the sole director.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 5th Jul 18, 2:45 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    This is beginning to sound really dodgy, as if it could be a front for something... What do you guys think? Should we send the link to Trading Standards? Or is paranoia descending on planet Smodlet?
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 5th Jul 18, 6:05 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 5,284 Thanks
    bap98189
    It's either dodgy, or they are just taking advantage of people who don't have the first clue about how renting works.
    • newguy1111
    • By newguy1111 7th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    newguy1111
    yes please report them to trading standards saves anyone else getting the hassle , is there a link to the trading standards website?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,529Posts Today

9,025Users online

Martin's Twitter