Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • khublaikhan
    • By khublaikhan 4th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 104Posts
    • 26Thanks
    khublaikhan
    Wallpapering over Painted Wall
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    Wallpapering over Painted Wall 4th Jul 18 at 12:12 PM
    OK,

So I have removed the old wallpaper (which was peeling) with an idea to put new wallpaper on it. I have washed it, sanded it and put up the first sheet of wallpaper and it has immediately bubbled. I took it off and a lot of the old paint came off with the new wallpaper.

Complete noob at DIY. Any ideas as to what I need to do to get the wallpaper up. I could simply get the whole room skimmed???

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 4th Jul 18, 12:31 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:31 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:31 PM
    Can't see why wallpaper would bubble, there's not really anything on the surface to react. Have you hung wallpaper before?
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 4th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    What type of wallpaper is it? Is it pre-pasted?

Maybe you are applying too much or too little paste or not allowing the paste to wet the paper sufficiently before putting it on the wall.

Some wallpaper can bubble when first applied but the bubbles shrink and disappear as the paste dries.

Do a test with a small piece and see if the bubbles disappear.

Make sure that you smooth the wallpaper with a wide wallpaper brush as you apply it.

Have you googled for advice on wallpapering?
    Last edited by Head The Ball; 04-07-2018 at 12:46 PM.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • bris
    • By bris 4th Jul 18, 12:49 PM
    • 7,729 Posts
    • 6,715 Thanks
    bris
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:49 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:49 PM
    A painted wall shouldn't bubble. Bubbles are trapped air, this need brushed out. Make sure the paste is fully covering the paper so there are no dry spots, let it soak into the paper for about 8-12 minutes (depending on weight of paper) then hang it and smooth out all the bubbles.

It's not unusual for small bubble to appear then disappear later. The soak in time is important.
    • khublaikhan
    • By khublaikhan 4th Jul 18, 2:56 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    khublaikhan
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:56 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:56 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for the responses, I think I may have misled you guys. The problem isn't specifically the bubbles its the fact that the paint has immediately become loose upon placing the wallpaper with the paste on it. It flakes in big chunks and comes off the wall and sticks the paper. It's a very poor grip.

I am not using pre-pasted wallpaper and I have researched wallpapering - I wasn't expecting this issue however.

Thanks for your responses
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 4th Jul 18, 3:23 PM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 3,227 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:23 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:23 PM
    Looks like you need to sand a bit more ... To get the old paint off.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 4th Jul 18, 4:47 PM
    • 5,286 Posts
    • 24,612 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 4th Jul 18, 4:47 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 4:47 PM
    A bit more sanding, then perhaps 'size' the walls before papering, which is effectively painting the wall with a dilute coat of wallpaper paste which needs to dry thoroughly before you hang the wallpaper in the manner you have researched. Sizing helps stabilise the loose paint.

You shouldn't need to skim, what you're trying to do, paper over pre-painted flaky walls, is quite normal, you just need to go about it the right way.
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 5th Jul 18, 12:27 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:27 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:27 PM
    OK, you need to prep the surface properly then. Get the sander back out, and scrape any loose bits off. You can't stick the wallpaper to something that isn't stuck to the wall.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,587Posts Today

8,720Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• The fight to divorce mental health and debt... https://t.co/G3pyGje6Kh

• Follow Martin