Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Newbie1982
    • By Newbie1982 4th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Newbie1982
    Incorrect Claim - Help needed
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    Incorrect Claim - Help needed 4th Jul 18 at 11:56 AM
    I'll try to keep this as short as possible, I've made a huge mistake and could use some advise if anyone can help.

I've been with my partner for nearly seven years, two years ago he sold his property and moved in with me. Up until them I had been claiming child & working tax based on my being single with two children. I had planned to end my claim but just never got round to it. We had a fall out and parted company a couple of weeks ago, during an argument I ended my claim saying my partner had moved in. After he moved out I started a new claim. My partner was never on the electrical register at my house but had his car insurance bank, work, ect at my address. A few people have been gettign involved in our break up and I've worried some one is going report me for claiming. what are my options?
Page 4
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jul 18, 7:09 AM
    • 21,198 Posts
    • 57,208 Thanks
    Pollycat
    That's what I wanted, thank you. As I've explained, if I had put this post up from my perspective I doubt I would have been given a no holds barred response
    Originally posted by Newbie1982
    I think you're wrong.

Very few people on here have any time for benefit fraudsters.
    Last edited by Pollycat; 10-07-2018 at 7:12 AM.
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 10th Jul 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 2,702 Thanks
    dippy3103
    So, which benefits was she claiming?
    • Newbie1982
    • By Newbie1982 14th Jul 18, 12:40 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Newbie1982
    To draw a line under all this I made a call yesterday and put in an anonymous report. I have recently changed jobs and have relocated out of the area but if the system is as stringent as people say they will join the dots and make a case
    • moneycantbuyyoulove
    • By moneycantbuyyoulove 28th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    moneycantbuyyoulove
    Hope you haven't moved too far. A stressed, poverty stricken mother is going to have an effect on YOUR children. Keep your hand in there - they are YOUR responsibility too - especially as you seem to have added to the family strain.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 28th Jul 18, 8:28 PM
    • 3,988 Posts
    • 3,809 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Hope you haven't moved too far. A stressed, poverty stricken mother is going to have an effect on YOUR children. Keep your hand in there - they are YOUR responsibility too - especially as you seem to have added to the family strain.
    Originally posted by moneycantbuyyoulove
    I'm not sure why you've chosen to bring this up now. You're wrong anyway because they are not his children, if you'd taken the time and read the whole thread then you would have known that.
    • moneycantbuyyoulove
    • By moneycantbuyyoulove 28th Jul 18, 9:03 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    moneycantbuyyoulove
    Is there a deadline for reading and replying to discussions? If you could please let me know your rules I will endeavour to follow them and make sure all my replies have your approval first. Thank you
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 28th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    • 3,988 Posts
    • 3,809 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Is there a deadline for reading and replying to discussions? If you could please let me know your rules I will endeavour to follow them and make sure all my replies have your approval first. Thank you
    Obviously there isn't but since your reply was totally incorrect any, i decided to reply.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 28th Jul 18, 9:46 PM
    • 21,198 Posts
    • 57,208 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Maybe this 'stressed, poverty stricken mother' might not be so stressed and poverty stricken if she had actually been honest about her situation and not committed benefit fraud.
    • HighamKneeDee
    • By HighamKneeDee 29th Jul 18, 6:45 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    HighamKneeDee
    Adore this argument (sorry to pick on your post). That is fine then, just let them on with it. Even another poster on this forum, that has for years chosen to use this standpoint, has increased their quoted rate from 0.7% to 0.9%. Additionally, aren't these figures either based on a guess or known cases? Therefore could be higher but yet to be caught. It's okay, it's only public money.
    Last edited by HighamKneeDee; 29-07-2018 at 6:49 AM.
    Audere est Facere
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 29th Jul 18, 8:23 AM
    • 17,054 Posts
    • 41,991 Thanks
    FBaby
    The 1% is a complete joke. It is based on an an annual review for HB, JSA, UC and PC, ie. those that have been caught claiming fraudulently, certainly not all those who haven't.

It also includes reviews that goes back many years ago, including CA going back to the 90s!!This unreviewed expenditure amounts to 16.5 billions and again, this is all caes where fraud has been confirmed.

Even if 1996, 3.9% of CA was claimed fraudulently. Considering the significant rise in claims, you can easily estimate that this has also gone up significantly.

Just to be clear, the report states
    The figures presented in this report are estimates of fraud, claimant error and official error.
    Fraud !!!8211; cases where the following three conditions apply:
    !!!61623; The basic conditions for receipt of benefit, or the rate of benefit in payment, are not being met
    !!!61623; The claimant can reasonably be expected to be aware of the effect on entitlement
    !!!61623; Benefit stops or reduces as a result of the review.
    • CotswoldBob
    • By CotswoldBob 12th Aug 18, 10:50 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CotswoldBob
    Now the dust has settled a bit I can explain further.... I am not the lady claiming, my name is Mark, I am the partner. My apologies, I wanted a no holds barred opinion of what has occurred so i thought the best way to understand it all was to put the post up from my partners perspective. Thank you all for the feedback, I now now that I made the right decision to walk away.
    Originally posted by Newbie1982
    Does anyone actually believe this post? I certainly don't.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,201Posts Today

7,673Users online

Martin's Twitter