Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Newbie1982
    • By Newbie1982 4th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Newbie1982
    Incorrect Claim - Help needed
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    Incorrect Claim - Help needed 4th Jul 18 at 11:56 AM
    I'll try to keep this as short as possible, I've made a huge mistake and could use some advise if anyone can help.

I've been with my partner for nearly seven years, two years ago he sold his property and moved in with me. Up until them I had been claiming child & working tax based on my being single with two children. I had planned to end my claim but just never got round to it. We had a fall out and parted company a couple of weeks ago, during an argument I ended my claim saying my partner had moved in. After he moved out I started a new claim. My partner was never on the electrical register at my house but had his car insurance bank, work, ect at my address. A few people have been gettign involved in our break up and I've worried some one is going report me for claiming. what are my options?
Page 3
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 5th Jul 18, 7:01 PM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Newvie1982 don't let the judgemental comments get to you! You're entitled to claim, they're just jelous and judgemental
    Originally posted by Need-sum-advice
    Reported as encouraging benefit fraud
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 5th Jul 18, 7:01 PM
    • 2,560 Posts
    • 2,956 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Please explain how somebody who has no entitlement to benefits following a change of circumstance where they were no longer single is still entitled to claim. I'm sure we'll all be fascinated by your logic.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    This poster has posted an encouragement of benefit fraud elsewhere on the forum.
    I've reported their posts, I suggest you do the same tellit01.

I really don't think it worthwhile engaging them in debate - ignore and report.

Edit: PS - Thanks NeilCr.

That other post has been partially repeated below!
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 05-07-2018 at 7:08 PM. Reason: Edit: Cross posted with NeilCr
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Jul 18, 7:06 PM
    • 6,887 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I suggest you google:

Introductory English lessons

Jeremy Kyle applications

How to make jail fun!
    • JoCha
    • By JoCha 5th Jul 18, 8:07 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoCha
    As others have said, I think it's best to confess, tell them that you are honestly sorry and offer to make repayment - that way they will hopefully not be so hard on you. But if they find out first, they are going to come after you as having committed fraud and the consequences of that can be very unpleasant - even prison in some cases.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 5th Jul 18, 9:07 PM
    • 5,546 Posts
    • 6,189 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    This poster has posted an encouragement of benefit fraud elsewhere on the forum.
    I've reported their posts, I suggest you do the same tellit01.
    Originally posted by Alice Holt

Done before I saw you suggesting it.
    • NYM
    • By NYM 5th Jul 18, 9:28 PM
    • 3,641 Posts
    • 6,740 Thanks
    NYM
    And me...
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 5th Jul 18, 9:36 PM
    • 2,560 Posts
    • 2,956 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Done before I saw you suggesting it.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Good man.

AH
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • Newbie1982
    • By Newbie1982 7th Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Newbie1982
    Now the dust has settled a bit I can explain further.... I am not the lady claiming, my name is Mark, I am the partner. My apologies, I wanted a no holds barred opinion of what has occurred so i thought the best way to understand it all was to put the post up from my partners perspective. Thank you all for the feedback, I now now that I made the right decision to walk away.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 7th Jul 18, 1:39 PM
    • 17,696 Posts
    • 31,277 Thanks
    Ames
    Now the dust has settled a bit I can explain further.... I am not the lady claiming, my name is Mark, I am the partner. My apologies, I wanted a no holds barred opinion of what has occurred so i thought the best way to understand it all was to put the post up from my partners perspective. Thank you all for the feedback, I now now that I made the right decision to walk away.
    Originally posted by Newbie1982
    But are you going to report her?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Newbie1982
    • By Newbie1982 7th Jul 18, 2:22 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Newbie1982
    Not sure, I'm not a malicious person, and to be fair there's that many people in the loop now someone else will probably blow the whistle.

I'll be honest, i'm a bit worried about how all this effects me. I only found out a couple of months ago that she was still claiming, this kicked off a few arguments about money that led to me calling it a day. At the end of one argument she cancelled her claim saying her partner had moved in. she then submitted a new claim a week after id gone saying her partner had moved out. Given that my work, bank, car insurance, credit cards ect all know i lived there I'm stumped as to how she got away with it.
    Last edited by Newbie1982; 07-07-2018 at 2:26 PM.
    • WhenIam64
    • By WhenIam64 7th Jul 18, 4:29 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    WhenIam64
    My post isn't a joke, I'm struggling sleeping at the moment. I should have cancelled this long ago, i know I've done wrong.
    Then the reveal

I am not the lady claiming, my name is Mark, I am the partner. My apologies, I wanted a no holds barred opinion of what has occurred
    We are encouraged here not to be judgmental so opinions don't come into it.

What about the children who for 7 years have seen you are some sort of role model? What would their "no holds barred opinion" be now? What would they think later?
    • Newbie1982
    • By Newbie1982 7th Jul 18, 4:44 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Newbie1982
    I've not seen the children since I left, they have made no effort to maintain contact with me, they will have taken their mothers side. That aside, as I said earlier my apologies for the birth of the post, I have never claimed anything so have little idea of how the benefits system works so I was trying to get an understanding of things, the best way seemed to be to ask from the mothers point of view.
    • GotToChange
    • By GotToChange 8th Jul 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    GotToChange
    I've not seen the children since I left, they have made no effort to maintain contact with me, they will have taken their mothers side. That aside, as I said earlier my apologies for the birth of the post, I have never claimed anything so have little idea of how the benefits system works so I was trying to get an understanding of things, the best way seemed to be to ask from the mothers point of view.

How old are they?

• Newbie1982
    • By Newbie1982 8th Jul 18, 4:10 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Newbie1982
    16 & 17.......
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 8th Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    • 17,026 Posts
    • 41,946 Thanks
    FBaby
    Why weren't you registered there on the electoral roll?
    • armin
    • By armin 9th Jul 18, 9:36 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    armin
    incorrect claim - misunderstanding
    Hello, I want to ask you for an advice about wrong claim. The thing is that I made a wrong tax credits claim as a single, but i was in a couple. The reason for doing that wrong claim was my misunderstanding of guidance in the form, when I was applying for the claim. I am an EU national,
    I ve been over 25, I worked 38 hours a week since the start. My gf was not speaking a good english either and cant find a job because of that for a longer period of time. Also she was 23 years old. I was in misunderstanding and I claimed it as a single.
    Now when I received a tax credits renewal pack I noticed, after my language got better that I made a huge mistake and I want to make it right... but I m very scared about the consequences, the penalties and so on... I ve been through tax credits calculator and it told me we can get more as a couple, with considering that we didnt earn anything in UK before(I tried to did it like we would arrive now to see amount I should be given)

So what should I do now people? I want to send renewal but I should write there my change of circumstances like I ve been living with her from beginning of our life in the UK? Is there any option to inform HMRC about the wrong claim and add it to renewal? Like attachment or something?

Thank you for any help regarding this matter.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Jul 18, 10:44 AM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,557 Thanks
    Pollycat
    armin
    You really should start your own thread.

There is a blue 'new thread' button if you go back to the 'Benefits and tax credits' board.
    Click here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=139

Copy your post and start your new thread.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 9th Jul 18, 12:21 PM
    • 9,371 Posts
    • 7,041 Thanks
    pmduk
    I wanted a no holds barred opinion of what has occurred
    As you can see, very few holds were barred!
    • Newbie1982
    • By Newbie1982 9th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Newbie1982
    As you can see, very few holds were barred!
    Originally posted by pmduk
    That's what I wanted, thank you. As I've explained, if I had put this post up from my perspective I doubt I would have been given a no holds barred response
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 9th Jul 18, 11:11 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 2,702 Thanks
    dippy3103
    Sorry about the mistype, he is my ex! I know I've dug my own hole, to be fair its half of the reason we split, he'd been asking me for a long time to cancel the claim so we could do things properly but for one reason and another I never got round to it, I eventually cancelled it a couple of weeks before he moved out as I thought he was going to tell someone. I'm in the position now where my finances are already stretched beyond reason, If I was to contact HMRC now and admit the mistake the money they would take back would cripple me. To be fair though and people wont like this, if the system is so great how hasn't it clocked that my partner was living with me for over 18 months ???
    The system relies on the honesty of those claiming from it to run correctly.

If you self disclose then they may well be more lenient on you, but itís certainly not going to completely get you off the hook.

Why wait for that letter? Face up to it & report it yourself, cut to the chase and sort it out. Then move on with your life, hopefully wiser.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,737Posts Today

6,504Users online

Martin's Twitter