Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Newbie1982
    • By Newbie1982 4th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Newbie1982
    Incorrect Claim - Help needed
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    Incorrect Claim - Help needed 4th Jul 18 at 11:56 AM
    I'll try to keep this as short as possible, I've made a huge mistake and could use some advise if anyone can help.

I've been with my partner for nearly seven years, two years ago he sold his property and moved in with me. Up until them I had been claiming child & working tax based on my being single with two children. I had planned to end my claim but just never got round to it. We had a fall out and parted company a couple of weeks ago, during an argument I ended my claim saying my partner had moved in. After he moved out I started a new claim. My partner was never on the electrical register at my house but had his car insurance bank, work, ect at my address. A few people have been gettign involved in our break up and I've worried some one is going report me for claiming. what are my options?
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 4th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    • 5,288 Posts
    • 3,458 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    The obvious thing to do would be to report it yourself.
    • Newbie1982
    • By Newbie1982 4th Jul 18, 12:08 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Newbie1982
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:08 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:08 PM
    I'm going to be honest here, I'm really struggling as it is without putting my head above the fence unnecessarily. I'm trying to understand how the system works and what chance this situation has of blowing up, if my partner wasn't on the electoral register would they know he was here?
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 4th Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    • 5,288 Posts
    • 3,458 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    Yes they would. They have access to credits reference agencies. I don't condone benefit fraud under any circumstances so my only advice to you is to be honest.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 4th Jul 18, 12:25 PM
    • 6,562 Posts
    • 14,104 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:25 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:25 PM
    I'm going to be honest here, I'm really struggling as it is without putting my head above the fence unnecessarily. I'm trying to understand how the system works and what chance this situation has of blowing up, if my partner wasn't on the electoral register would they know he was here?
    Originally posted by Newbie1982
    You are acting like the electoral register is the be all and end all. It is not, there are many data matching exercises which can be done to link this together.
    • Newbie1982
    • By Newbie1982 4th Jul 18, 12:28 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Newbie1982
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:28 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:28 PM
    It's all a bit of a mess. I spoke to my ex and asked if he would help if it had to be paid back, he has said no as he had told me to cancel it, it isn't in his name, and he says it isn't anything to do with him.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 4th Jul 18, 12:32 PM
    • 60,829 Posts
    • 43,405 Thanks
    soolin
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:32 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:32 PM
    It's all a bit of a mess. I spoke to my ex and asked if he would help if it had to be paid back, he has said no as he had told me to cancel it, it isn't in his name, and he says it isn't anything to do with him.
    If the claim was in your name alone then you will need to sort something out, anything from your ex partner would be goodwill alone, and it sounds like there is no goodwill to be had.

It really would be best to come clean now, make arrangements for any overpayment to be repaid in instalments, rather than risk the lot when they catch you out later and start suggesting benefit fraud. It might be tough for a while, but ultimately at least you won't have the worry hanging over you.

Also, this forum is not the place to start suggesting fraudulent behaviour.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Newbie1982
    • By Newbie1982 4th Jul 18, 12:41 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Newbie1982
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:41 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:41 PM
    Thank you for the feedback. Me and the ex didn't split on good terms, I've been in touch to see if he'd help out but as I've said he's said no as it has nothing to do with him. He's moved house and I know when he got his new property he told the local borough council that he'd been living previously at my address, don't know if this will cause anything to flag up, I guess I need to have a long think about what to do next.
    • cantcope
    • By cantcope 4th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    cantcope
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    i think the best thing to do next is call up hmrc and tell them you've been claiming as a single person when you werent. If you were getting single persons discount on council tax when he was living there then they'll need telling too.
    better to put your hands up willingly than be forced to
    my eyes are like mirrors. They reflect whats going on around me rather than whats inside
    Original debt May 06 16569,25th Feb 08 DEBT FREE

Last bet : 26th October 2006
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 4th Jul 18, 1:05 PM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 6,012 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    OP, you knew you should have informed HMRC when your partner moved in and you failed to do so. That is fraud however you try to sugar the pill. The likelihood is that HMRC will find out about it sooner or later and it will be far better for you in the long term if you are the person who tells them.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 4th Jul 18, 1:14 PM
    • 7,926 Posts
    • 17,328 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    I guess I need to have a long think about what to do next.

What is there to think about? You can either try to ignore it and know that you have done wrong - and worry about being caught, and then dealing with the consequences. Or you can be honest and tell tax credits that you would like to set the record straight.

Personally, I couldn't live with myself knowing that I had acted fraudulently. I would always be worried about the post, waiting for a letter inviting me for an interview under caution. I'd definitely rather be honest and know that my conscience is clear.

Presumably you want to bring your children up to be honest, decent citizens. You know that you need to sort this out, so for me there is no other option but to own up. Also, if you tell tax credits, there is hopefully less chance of prosecution than if they track you down first.

You won't find posters saying ignore it. Do the right thing and contact tax credits. It won't be easy for you, but at least you won't be worrying yourself sick that someone will inform them.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 4th Jul 18, 1:20 PM
    • 5,288 Posts
    • 3,458 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    He's right it isn't anything to do with him other than him reporting you himself. As it was a single claim and only you could end it, any overpayment or penalties would be for you to repay.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 4th Jul 18, 2:05 PM
    • 6,562 Posts
    • 14,104 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Thank you for the feedback. Me and the ex didn't split on good terms, I've been in touch to see if he'd help out but as I've said he's said no as it has nothing to do with him. He's moved house and I know when he got his new property he told the local borough council that he'd been living previously at my address, don't know if this will cause anything to flag up, I guess I need to have a long think about what to do next.
    Of course it will. Any and all benefits you claim, housing benefit, council tax reduction, all of it will be effected.

I mean I am sure this post is a joke, as nobody could possibly think they could get away with this, long think or not, but to any genuine people out there.

Councils, the DWP and HMRC have agreements to share information, and you agree to that when you make your claims. They have whole fraud departments who catch out people who are much much smarter than you are.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 4th Jul 18, 3:05 PM
    • 3,390 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    poppy12345
    If you were claiming any other benefits fraudulently then you'll also need to tell them, council tax, housing benefit etc. Admitting you claimed wrongly is far better than them finding out, which they will eventually.

How you sleep at night, i'll never know.
    • Newbie1982
    • By Newbie1982 4th Jul 18, 10:38 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Newbie1982
    My post isn't a joke, I'm struggling sleeping at the moment. I should have cancelled this long ago, i know I've done wrong. My fear is I'm really struggling financially at the moment, if i was to have anything else come out of my income I'd really be in trouble. In the back of my mind I'd expected to have the dreaded letter drop on the mat weeks ago but i haven't heard anything so in the back of my mind I thought let sleeping dogs lie
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 4th Jul 18, 11:05 PM
    • 6,562 Posts
    • 14,104 Thanks
    marliepanda
    If you fess up then you!!!8217;ll probably get an administrative fine.

Allow them to find out themselves and find yourself prosecuted for fraud.

Depends how you want those sleeping dogs to bite you, because they will.
    • Newbie1982
    • By Newbie1982 4th Jul 18, 11:19 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Newbie1982
    If you fess up then you!!!8217;ll probably get an administrative fine.

Allow them to find out themselves and find yourself prosecuted for fraud.

Depends how you want those sleeping dogs to bite you, because they will.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    So why haven't they caught me earlier? My ex was living here, had bank accounts and credit cards here ect
    • baza52
    • By baza52 5th Jul 18, 1:29 AM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 2,265 Thanks
    baza52
    So why haven't they caught me earlier? My ex was living here, had bank accounts and credit cards here ect
    They are most likely fully aware of your partner living with you.
    It just takes time to build up a case against you so they will have been watching your house and compiling evidence so they have a cast iron case against you.

Up to you how you go forward with this.
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 5th Jul 18, 7:17 AM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 2,413 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    Certainly for tax credits, HMRC don't run real time checks in every case. Compliance is often done a couple of years later. Where someone has been fraudulent they have far more powers to go back several years rather than just the last year and a bit (although they don't use those powers often). But I am seeing more people hit with large penalties of 3,000 in addition to the overpayment which will total everything you were paid on the single claim. You will not be entitled to notional offsetting unless you can convince them you were negligent rather than fraudulent/deliberate.

I think you need to speak to an advice agency locally as obviously this affects more than just tax credits.

IQ
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 5th Jul 18, 7:24 AM
    • 16,939 Posts
    • 41,813 Thanks
    FBaby
    Sorry OP but no sympathy whatsoever. What do you expect? You chose to continue to claim to be a single mum to get money from tax payers in addition to what you were getting from sharing your life with your partner. You made sure that it couldn't be traceable. He asked you to stop the claim and you didn't because you kept the extra money. You thought you were clever and would never be found because you had cover yourself.

Unfortunately, you forgot the possibility that you would separate and that he would feel good reporting you. Indeed, nothing to do with him, the claim in under your name only.

Your plan backfired and I do hope you have to pay it all. Cheating the system is not just bad because of the deceit, but it is teaching children that you can live a good life on a low or no income and that is even more worrying.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

1,777Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin