Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 4th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 1,737Posts
    • 629Thanks
    sevenhills
    Which velux window?
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    Which velux window? 4th Jul 18 at 11:42 AM
    What are the criteria when choosing a velux window for a loft/roof?

Do they needs to fit between the roof beems, some have a axis in the middle and some at the top. I assume an integrated blind is prefered. I was reading that some are self closing.
    Have you had a small one installed and regretted it? There are secondhand ones being sold on ebay, I would assume they last a long time. When installed, they use a 'flashing kit' would a new one of these be required?

Page 1
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 6th Jul 18, 11:38 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:38 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:38 PM
    I have a local loft conversion company coming round to give me a quote on Monday evening. New roof windows can be quite cheap, the Velux seems to be a more costly brand leader. Auto closing and blinds seem like a added cost that I do not require.
    I may get the loft boarded out, with a loft ladder and not much else. But a roof window costing 200 + fitting may be an option.

• Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Jul 18, 12:07 AM
    • 26,034 Posts
    • 70,322 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:07 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:07 AM
    I'm still struggling with why you want to spend anything up there. What's the window for? You're going to board it and do what up there, exactly?

Put in a light switch so you can find the Christmas decorations at 4pm on a December Saturday.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 7th Jul 18, 12:29 AM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:29 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:29 AM
    I'm still struggling with why you want to spend anything up there. What's the window for? You're going to board it and do what up there, exactly?
    Put in a light switch so you can find the Christmas decorations at 4pm on a December Saturday.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl

Loft storage is very popular, not sure why you have an issue with it.
    Some of us are hoarders, we like to keep lots of stuff.
    There is already lighting up there, and my meter for the solar panels, so I will be up there more than some.

The window will encourage me to use it more and maybe go further.

• Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Jul 18, 12:42 AM
    • 26,034 Posts
    • 70,322 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:42 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:42 AM
    Loft storage is popular, I have no issues with it at all. Most people put in a half decent loft ladder, some boards and be done with it. Putting a window in is not popular because it is pointless. No one needs encouraging to put (mainly) stuff they don't need in the loft. It is dark literally half of the time. A light switch is always useful.

No one thinks it's a "loft conversion" and no one needs a loft conversion company to do it.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 7th Jul 18, 7:26 AM
    • 4,450 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    Furts
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:26 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:26 AM
    Loft company coming around, 200 "+ fitting" for a window ... here we go again! I will leave Planning to you but some concerns would be. What are your rafter centres? What window will fit? Are you trimming the rafters? What about structural design and Buildings Regulations? Roof tiles - allignment and cutting, or renewing? Flashing kit?

I am sure all this, and much more has been covered by your due diligence. After all you have been going on about this for months. Plus during those months you keep getting advice. Due diligence and my observations will have been heard so often you will be shouting at forum folks to shut up.

You have neither a quote, nor an estimate. You have pure sales spin to suck you into dodgy companies. The fitting could include a multitude of things, including those above, plus the unknown - scaffolding. Which means you job could be 200 + 2000 fitting. Only you know, but your posts are consistant. They come across as somebody who is calling out to be fleeced by cowboy contractors.
    Last edited by Furts; 07-07-2018 at 7:51 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,406Posts Today

6,609Users online

Martin's Twitter