Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 4th Jul 18, 11:39 AM
    • 3,017Posts
    • 1,319Thanks
    Cotta
    Your Preferred Credit Card
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:39 AM
    Your Preferred Credit Card 4th Jul 18 at 11:39 AM
    Hi All,

I recently spoke to a friend on credit cards, they advised that whilst my own credit card (Clarity) is good for no sterling transactions as it always uses the most favourable rate, for non foreign transactions I am losing out. Currently I pay for everything on my Clarity card with this being paid off via a standing order each month, however my friend advises I should get a card that offers better cash-back and incentives.

Is my friend right and if so what sort of credit card should I be looking at?
Page 1
    • madvicker
    • By madvicker 4th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    madvicker
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    If you hold a NatWest or RBS Reward account then the Reward credit card is a great package for domestic spending. I average about 1.5% cashback on all my spending when combined with the base 0.5% cashback and the occasional offers.

Alternatives you can look at for domestic spending are:

- Amex Gold card for the first year (after that it's 140 a year)
    - BA Amex free card
    - Amex cashback credit card, either the free one or the one for 25 a year (only if you spend more than 850 a month)
    - Tandem Cashback credit card
    - Virgin Atlantic free card

There are others, but those are the ones which instantly pop into my head.
    Last edited by madvicker; 04-07-2018 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Wrong info
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Jul 18, 1:51 PM
    • 21,408 Posts
    • 17,227 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:51 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:51 PM
    If you look above your post you will see a link to the MSE Cashback Credit Cards guide.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 5th Jul 18, 1:13 PM
    • 3,017 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    Cotta
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:13 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:13 PM
    Amex seems to be the best with 5% cashback for 3 months and 1% after with no annual fees and no interest as long as bills are paid off each month. Have I missed anything?
    • madvicker
    • By madvicker 5th Jul 18, 1:24 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    madvicker
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:24 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:24 PM
    Only thing to be aware of: Amex cashback is paid annually. With some of the other options you can choose when to redeem your cashback.
    • terafarma
    • By terafarma 7th Jul 18, 7:20 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    terafarma
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:20 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:20 PM
    Tandem Mastercard Cashback credit card.
    Barclaycard Visa Cashback credit card - no longer issued to new customers.
    Halifax Mastercard Clarity credit card.
    Money is like a bird.....if mishandled, will simply fly away....
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 8th Jul 18, 10:01 AM
    • 1,955 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:01 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:01 AM
    You should do it by direct debit not standing order
    • Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 9th Jul 18, 6:16 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    Craig1981
    • 9th Jul 18, 6:16 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 6:16 AM
    If paying off in full each month, Virgin Atlantic Free card as said above is a good "freebie" card. APR is 22% - i have had it for a few months now ever since Tesco increased spending for points, and nationwide dropped cashback to 0.5%.
    5000 points on first use, the .75 points for every 1 spent. I do the same - everything goes onto the Virgin card and paid off in full... three months in and i have just under 10000 air miles... i have an old Aqua mastercard i keep active as use that abroad as no fees for that... and my bank offer free cash withdrawals abroad too

If virgin decrease their air miles etc, i'll be looking for the next best thing!
    • msallen
    • By msallen 9th Jul 18, 6:11 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    msallen
    • 9th Jul 18, 6:11 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 6:11 PM
    If you can get yourself a Costco membership (twenty odd quid a year) then the Amex Costco card is the best cashback option. 3% on eating out, 2% on travel, 1% on everything else.

I only go into Costco once a year to redeem my cashback, so the membership is equivalent to paying the same amount as a card fee.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 18th Jul 18, 11:40 PM
    • 3,017 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    Cotta
    Still unsure what to do, someone recommended the 123 account but it has a charge of 5 per month. I have a council tax bill of 2k due in 60 days so I need to decide soon.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 21st Jul 18, 10:17 AM
    • 3,017 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    Cotta
    A final post on this, has anyone anymore recommendations?
    • Middle Sister
    • By Middle Sister 11th Aug 18, 12:48 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Middle Sister
    A final post on this, has anyone anymore recommendations?
    Originally posted by Cotta
    I'd go with Tandem
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 11th Aug 18, 1:53 PM
    • 2,595 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    surreysaver
    Still unsure what to do, someone recommended the 123 account but it has a charge of 5 per month. I have a council tax bill of 2k due in 60 days so I need to decide soon.
    A 123 account is a current account, not a credit card. But if you get the 123 Lite it is only 1 a month rather than 5 - you still get the cashback but not the interest
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Aug 18, 8:36 PM
    • 21,408 Posts
    • 17,227 Thanks
    agrinnall
    A 123 account is a current account, not a credit card. But if you get the 123 Lite it is only 1 a month rather than 5 - you still get the cashback but not the interest
    Originally posted by surreysaver

May have been thinking of the 123 credit card which is 3 a month - I come out ahead on mine over the year, breaking even through travel/petrol spend and making a profit on supermarket and other qualifying shopping.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 12th Aug 18, 9:25 AM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    nic_c
    Amex seems to be the best with 5% cashback for 3 months and 1% after with no annual fees and no interest as long as bills are paid off each month. Have I missed anything?
    Min spend over the year to qualify for cashback - 3000
    After the 5% the cash back after depends on annual spend, if you spend over 5000 its 1%, but if you've spent 3000-5000 then its 0.5%
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 13th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    I have the Amex cashback card with the 25 annual fee - use it as default everywhere it is accepted.

Not hard to spend 3 grand per year, and a nice little earner every 12 month cycle.
    • sparkey1
    • By sparkey1 13th Aug 18, 9:06 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    sparkey1
    May have been thinking of the 123 credit card which is 3 a month - I come out ahead on mine over the year, breaking even through travel/petrol spend and making a profit on supermarket and other qualifying shopping.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    The 123 credit card is closed to new applicants. None of the current santander range are any good to you as the only cashback ones charge fees.
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 14th Aug 18, 9:16 AM
    • 2,632 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    chelseablue
    I have the Barclaycard Cashback card but as above its not available to new applicants.

If they ever pulled it I'd look into getting an amex one
    Mortgage starting balance 231,000
    Mortgage after Year 1 225,000
    Mortgage after Year 2 218,000
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Aug 18, 9:25 AM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 8,062 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I love my no fee Amex but I have to admit that not everyone accepts it. As long as you keep the Clarity as well you would be covered.

We have a John Lewis Partnership card for the non Amex places.
    We also have the 123 lite account for the bills cashback - clears about 100 pa after the 12 fee
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

2,041Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin