Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Morata_
    • By Morata_ 4th Jul 18, 9:59 AM
    • 90Posts
    • 40Thanks
    Morata_
    Just brought a place, plumbing issues...
    • 4th Jul 18, 9:59 AM
    Just brought a place, plumbing issues... 4th Jul 18 at 9:59 AM
    sorry if this is the wrong thread!

6 weeks in new place and we have a ongoing plumbing issue. It relates to pressure, heat and a scalling issue?

Now plumber we have had round, said previous owners would have known about this? They have been out of order?

Also, anyone recognise the issue? We are being told possibly a heat exchange issue, which is going to set us back 300-500 and then hopefully that will recitify? Showers are full of scale so boiler might also need looking at...

This, on top of the leaking bath tub, onto lounge ceiling has already set us back a fair bit in repairs.

Oh the joys of home ownership!! Haha! (we were told we had got a bargain, that bargain may soon turn into a fair price!!)

Thanks for reading, any plumbers with advice? Anyone else having minor issues having moved home recently?

All the best.
Page 1
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 4th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 2,445 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    Did you have the plumbing checked before buying?

No, previous owners not out of order, unless you asked them specifically and they lied.
    Last edited by Alter ego; 04-07-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    Loose means not tight, Lose means something is lost, simples no?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 4th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,548 Thanks
    westernpromise
    The plumbing issues probably arose when you brought the house from the previous location. Bringing houses from one place to another often does that.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 4th Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    • 11,088 Posts
    • 14,633 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    You can't prove they knew about it. There has to be a Day One when the problems start so unless he has been called out before and told not to do any repairs, there's nowt you can do.

"Buyer beware" - up to you to find issues, not really for them to tell you unless you've specifically asked or think they've lied about something.

There's another board for advice on repairs, faults, maintenance type issues, etc.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes; Thai cooking stuff; Jo Brand talk; Slime Factory; Flawless tickets; Comedy night tickets
    • Morata_
    • By Morata_ 4th Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Morata_
    we turned the taps on, hot water was running. The boiler has been serviced within the last 12 months. (pre us buying!)
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 4th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    We are being told possibly a heat exchange issue, which is going to set us back 300-500 and then hopefully that will recitify? Showers are full of scale so boiler might also need looking at...
    Originally posted by Morata_

The heat exchanger can get full of limescale in such areas.

However it can be cleaned out rather than replaced. The Engineers Idiots that most companies send out are reluctant to do anything but repalce however. Even on a boiler care plan it took me three times before someone did this (got a "senior" engineer that time). Just the level of underqualified staff most companies send out these days. Boiler worked for another 8 years after that and then I moved house.
    • Morata_
    • By Morata_ 4th Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Morata_
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    Sorry, i will go to the other board, prob not the right place, thanks to those who have posted!
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 4th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    This, on top of the leaking bath tub, onto lounge ceiling has already set us back a fair bit in repairs.

I doubt you had a leaking tub. That would have been obvious from the cracks. Maybe leaky seals and the previous occupant knew to be careful? (or did not care)

I had bodged "wet" room with shower done without tanking ot anything sane, tiles just on the floor boards! I also paid 5k over the survey price, though 8.5k under what I had agreed, you can only push delusional people so far! But if it's thje house you want....
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 4th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    • 11,554 Posts
    • 13,382 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Might as well get a water softener installed at the same time or the problem will reoccur.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 4th Jul 18, 10:14 AM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Might as well get a water softener installed at the same time or the problem will reoccur.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe

I find most lime issues overblown and easily surpassed with minimal maintainance.

Though I'm sure many companies would be happy to charge you for things you don't need.
    • Morata_
    • By Morata_ 4th Jul 18, 10:16 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Morata_
    I doubt you had a leaking tub. That would have been obvious from the cracks. Maybe leaky seals and the previous occupant knew to be careful? (or did not care)

I had bodged "wet" room with shower done without tanking ot anything sane, tiles just on the floor boards! I also paid 5k over the survey price, though 8.5k under what I had agreed, you can only push delusional people so far! But if it's thje house you want....
    Originally posted by Carrot007

This was the issue, also the taps where very loose and water just ran down them. As you can tell, no basic technical plumbing skills here...something I do regret not having!
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 4th Jul 18, 10:20 AM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    Carrot007
    This was the issue, also the taps where very loose and water just ran down them. As you can tell, no basic technical plumbing skills here...something I do regret not having!

You can always try and get some! Lot's of info on the web and plumbing is damn easy (It's often the awkward positions that make it hard, I had none, I then fitted the bathroom in my old house and have also done 3 toilets! (it's easy it just smells when the pipe is exposed!)).
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 4th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    • 5,233 Posts
    • 7,955 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    There is no such thing as a bargain house. If a house appears cheap it is because there is something wrong with it or it needs a lot of maintainance.
    • SG27
    • By SG27 4th Jul 18, 12:06 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    SG27
    There was a thread recently with people posting all this issues they found after buying houses, (cant find it now) you got off lightly compared to some of those!
    • SG27
    • By SG27 4th Jul 18, 12:23 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    SG27
    Yes I second that. I bought a house and found electrics were faulty and a few other issues that weren't apparent but the vendors would have known about and kept hidden

I'd like to find that thread. Any idea what terms to try to search for?
    Originally posted by ajak81
    I think it was "bought a house feeling depressed" something along those lines. My search doesn't work so cant find it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,542Posts Today

9,511Users online

Martin's Twitter