Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 4th Jul 18, 8:02 AM
    • 1,348Posts
    • 1,339Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    NHS Travel Vaccinations
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:02 AM
    NHS Travel Vaccinations 4th Jul 18 at 8:02 AM
    We keep our basic travel vaccinations up to date, primarily Hep A, Typhoid & Polio/Diptheria/Tetanus. These are done on the NHS at our GP's travel clinic, they used to be recommended even for life in UK, but perhaps not nowadays though?

If that's no longer the case, I CAN see the argument that holiday travel is voluntary so why should the NHS pay for such vaccinations. But what I don't understand is why, because my friends GP surgery has dispensed with it's travel clinic, she's been told she'll have to go elsewhere & was even advised to go to my GP's travel clinic, but will of course have to pay privately wherever she goes.

How can that be right or fair, a postcode lottery surely? How can anything on the NHS not be everyone or no-one? I'm not saying it should be paid for by NHS for all, just consistent across the board.

I don't get it, when did this all start because it's a new one on me?
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
Page 1
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 4th Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    • 16,150 Posts
    • 12,191 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    If you can afford to travel you can afford to pay?
    Problem is you are recounting this story second hand.
    Where is your friend travelling to?
    Last edited by hollydays; 04-07-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 4th Jul 18, 10:57 AM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 4,522 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:57 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:57 AM
    GP practices receive NHS funding ... how they then use that funding (within the guidelines) is up to them. If one practice wants to offer free vaccinations and another wants to charge for them then that's OK (as far as I am aware).

The same applies in relation to new and expensive treatments ... different health authorities take different decisions as to what they'll fund. The postcode lottery is nothing new ... it's been on the main TV news for years now.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    • 20,458 Posts
    • 16,245 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    If one practice wants to offer free vaccinations and another wants to charge for them then that's OK
    Originally posted by DoaM

I think that the point that the OP is making is not that there is a charge for some vaccinations but that some medical practices now refuse to offer them at all. Which may be allowed, but is certainly short sighted if the traveller decides not to bother going elsewhere and comes home with with some disease that is going to mean a lot more work for the practice that they can't charge the patient for.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 4th Jul 18, 2:20 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:20 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:20 PM
    I have always paid for travel vaccinations even at my gp
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 4th Jul 18, 3:09 PM
    • 10,125 Posts
    • 11,369 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:09 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:09 PM
    Personally, I can see one reason why some practices may offer the inoculations free of charge and others may not.

As each practice only receives limited funding from the NHS, they probably have to pick and choose what services to provide free and which ones have to be paid for and in some areas, travel jabs may take a far lower priority.
    Say for example a practice in an area where there is a fair amount of very low paid or unemployed people.
    On average, it's probably a fair guess that fewer travel vaccinations are requested compared to a very affluent area and the practice manager may have decided not to provide a travel clinic but to pump far more money into things such as ensuring that child nutrition advice is sent to all parents and that elderly people with little or no money or family members living nearby get support.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,464Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin