Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jakava
    • By Jakava 4th Jul 18, 3:54 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jakava
    Who is responsible for paying for chimney sweep and birds nest removal?
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:54 AM
    Who is responsible for paying for chimney sweep and birds nest removal? 4th Jul 18 at 3:54 AM
    I have birds nesting in my unused, blocked off chimney. I haven't heard them for a while so I'm not sure if they are still there or are just out longer as it's Summer. I moved in last September and could hear them over my TV. They are so noisy.

I'm now getting brown moths and metalworm beetles in my house. Every day I wake up to 3 or 4 moths and 1 or 2 beetles wandering about. I'm terrified on any insects and it's getting me down.

I've researched both species online and they are both common in birds nests.

I've put duct tape around the board that's in place to block the chimney off (it had small gaps where it joins to the walls). This seems to have stopped the moths but not the beetles (I can't think of where else they can be coming from as I have no food stores). It's also stopped all the bird !!!!, dirt and debris from falling into the empty fireplace.

I mentioned this when I moved in last year in September. I'd been here a matter of days so they were quite clearly there before I moved in. I told the letting agent (who is honestly a complete moron and doesn't seem to know anything) there was birds in the chimney and was told she didn't know anything about it as she'd never dealt with it before.

I told them again when I signed my new contract in March. Again she said she hadn't dealt with it before and would look into it. Heard nothing back.

Now it does say in my contract that any pest control and chimney maintenance is my responsibility, but the problems was definitely there before I moved in.

I'm happy to spray bug spray and stuff but the real problem is the nests. Without removing them I won't be able to get rid of the insects and they will just keep coming back.

Would this be my responsibility or theirs to clear the chimney?
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 4th Jul 18, 6:05 AM
    • 25,522 Posts
    • 93,487 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:05 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:05 AM
    You have answered your own question: pest control and chimney sweeping are your responsibility, including dealing with the uncleaned chimney the last tenant left.

As it's an unused chimney, you can also leave it uncleaned at the end of your tenancy too, if you wish, because it hasn't formed part of the flat's inventory/condition check.

Keeping birds out of the chimney would mean fitting a cage cowl; something that could be done on a normal two storey house by some sweeps. Your landlord's agent would probably say that as no open fire or stove is provided, this isn't necessary, so you would have to meet the cost of this.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it. More changes on the way?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 4th Jul 18, 6:33 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:33 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:33 AM
    As a tenant I would directly tell the landlord and ask them what they wanted done. The pests were there before you move in - if you can prove this then I would say it's not your responsibility at all. Why would it be?
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 4th Jul 18, 6:51 AM
    • 775 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:51 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:51 AM
    then I would say it's not your responsibility at all. Why would it be?
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead

it would be the tenants responsibility because there is a clause in their tenancy agreement

Now it does say in my contract that "any pest control and chimney maintenance is my responsibility"

Tenancy agreements vary and some include it, some do not. that is why it is always advisable to read the agreement.

The tenancy agreements I supply for example bring chimney sweeping to my responsibility simply because I would rather know it has been done on an annual basis.
    Last edited by need an answer; 04-07-2018 at 6:58 AM.
    in S 34 T 40 F 47
    out S 50 T 43 F 47
    2017 -32
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 4th Jul 18, 7:06 AM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 3,109 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:06 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:06 AM
    I would have moved in March - certainly not signed a new contract. You'll probably have to pay for it anyway as the landlord could claim the cost of clearing from your deposit, especially as your agreement puts the responsibility on you.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 4th Jul 18, 7:08 AM
    • 775 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:08 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:08 AM
    Although if you can prove that the nest was there before you moved in via say the inventory then its perfectly reasonable to leave it and not remove it!!!!!!

Obviously a very long shot and very dependant on a very detailed inventory.

Sometimes an external photo of the house maybe available and its often only when you look closely that you see more of the photo than the initial subject.

Just a thought
    Last edited by need an answer; 04-07-2018 at 8:32 AM.
    in S 34 T 40 F 47
    out S 50 T 43 F 47
    2017 -32
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 4th Jul 18, 7:10 AM
    • 6,631 Posts
    • 6,203 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:10 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:10 AM
    Now it does say in my contract that any pest control and chimney maintenance is my responsibility,
    Originally posted by Jakava
    I would say it's not your responsibility at all. Why would it be?
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead
    try reading the OP again
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 4th Jul 18, 8:32 AM
    • 37,367 Posts
    • 157,368 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:32 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:32 AM
    try reading the OP again
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    Just because something is written into a contract doesn't mean it is legal or enforceable. A tenancy agreement may specify that a tenant needs to give 6 months notice, this wouldn't be enforceable.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 4th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    • 4,793 Posts
    • 3,831 Thanks
    cajef
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    If there are birds actually nesting at the present time you will have to wait until the autumn before the nests can be removed, it is illegal to disturb any nesting birds.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/wildlife-and-the-law/wildlife-and-countryside-act/
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 4th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 44,697 Posts
    • 53,152 Thanks
    G_M
    Just because something is written into a contract doesn't mean it is legal or enforceable. A tenancy agreement may specify that a tenant needs to give 6 months notice, this wouldn't be enforceable.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    That is beause there is an Act of Parliament and/or established Common Law that specifies notice periods in tenancies.

I know of know such Act or CL regarding brds nests or chimneys.

Tha leaves Contract Law - and the contract seems clear.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 7th Jul 18, 8:41 PM
    • 6,631 Posts
    • 6,203 Thanks
    00ec25
    Originally posted by silvercar
    oh dear

do you read what is posted in context or do you just knee jerk?

in what way, shape, or form, is your comment related to a tenancy agreement which (apparently) specifically mentions impositions on the tenant which are NOT covered by statute law?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,191Posts Today

9,385Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin