Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 4th Jul 18, 1:41 AM
    • 1,517Posts
    • 16,446Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 4th July 2018
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:41 AM
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 4th July 2018 4th Jul 18 at 1:41 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 2
    • beenthere_donethat
    • By beenthere_donethat 4th Jul 18, 8:53 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 82,749 Thanks
    beenthere_donethat
    I heard filling a hot water bottle with freezing water can help parts of the bed cool. I might try that tonight.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    Never thought about that, but it sounds like a good idea
    If you don’t follow your heart, you might spend the rest of your life wishing you had.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jul 18, 9:26 AM
    • 4,743 Posts
    • 43,457 Thanks
    Floss
    hello from the Lancashire coast!

Have taken today off work to tackle the weed garden allotment...there are 2 derelict raised beds that DH is going to rebuild that have become overgrown with 5' thistles, so I have donned pink wellies, shorts & suntop & 2 pairs of thick gloves to clear them When that's done I will strim the paths so it looks tidier, and then I will be able to see the beds to weed them I managed to pick over 5kg of gooseberries last night while listening to the footie!

TA hope you can find some tasty morsels to tempt Mr TA
    Gers your DM is in the best place, take it easy for a few days while she's being looked after away from home
    Speky aww, you're a good 'un, spoiling your mum
    • bellabella
    • By bellabella 4th Jul 18, 9:30 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    bellabella
    Morning all
    Late one for me Dolly has been walked and there is no washing to do and just a quick swish round might do sausage salad for tea i think.
    Gets hope your mums meds are sorted quickly take 5 mins for yourself whilst she is being looked after
    TA enjoy your girlie catch up
    Have a great day whatever you are up to xx
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 4th Jul 18, 10:33 AM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 21,190 Thanks
    snoozer
    Speky, I'm sure your mum appreciates it. When DS worked in store he used to have a weekday off and we would go out to National Trust properties together, it was lovely.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 4th Jul 18, 10:55 AM
    • 16,406 Posts
    • 72,316 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

Gers sorry to hear your Mum is in hospital but hope she gets sorted soon. Fingers crossed.

TA enjoy your night out.

Floss good luck clearing the weeds... rather you than me! Saying that, nothing seems to be growing at the moment, in my garden at least.

All is well with me, except that nausea is back again.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Elona
    • By Elona 4th Jul 18, 12:37 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 2,632 Thanks
    Elona
    Gers

I hope your Mum's high heart rate gets sorted out quickly.

TA

Enjoy your "girlie" time and it will do you good and top up your batteries.

I spent last night baking a huge cottage pie and this morning portioned it ready to freeze. It made six large portions which are now in the freezer and which DD can pick up on Monday when she pops round. The baby is not due for nearly four weeks but she worries in case it arrives early and they are not prepared.

All the cardboard boxes have been flattened and taken outside, the dishwasher is on and the diet drinks and canned food have been stored away so I have my feet up with a cup of coffee. DD and I had a chuckle when I showed her a picture of the fancy baby bath I had ordered to stay in my house as it is the same thing she picked up for herself in the M*****care sales.

I just noticed the MSE e mail and "TheWorks" has a sale on for the next eleven hours of ten children's books for ten pounds. Most of them were originally £6.99 . £5.99 or even dearer so it looks like a good deal. I have ordered some to give to DD and SIL once the baby arrives.

I thought it might be worth other people having a look so they could stock up for birthday presents etc without it costing a fortune and still being thoughtful.

Hugs to all.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Jul 18, 2:57 PM
    • 16,076 Posts
    • 136,704 Thanks
    JackieO
    Speky you are a good lad not only to your Gran but to your Mum as well.
    TA you have a nice evening out with your friends it will do you the world of good
    Gers Hope your Mum gets her racing heart slowed done OK with medication, as Speky says she is in the right place.
    Elona they sound a bargain for children even as birthday presents or as little extra presents at Christmas (Oh no I have uttered the dreaded 'C' word)

No shopping today so that's 4 days in a row just relaxing with a cuppa at the moment and feet up.

I was watching a programme this morning on TV with Dom Littlewood about a woman who got into deep debt with her c/cards.They were trying to show her the error of her ways yet I don't think she realised how badly she was in the mire.He tried to talk her into giving up her top of the range lease car to save £100.00 per month and she said 'Oh its not really me is it' !! she was spending around 3-400 per month on eating out with friends yet when she was given a card with a pre loaded £200.00 to last a month after a fortnight she had spent £300.00, don't think she was really making an effort to be honest. What amazed me was she was supposed to be a nurse Goodness knows she can't be with the NHS as I'm sure they don't earn that sort of cash She was spending freely and seemed a bit shocked when told she was spending £4-500 more a month than she earns. I think she definitely had a serious shopping addiction with over 100 designer coats for her dog !!! I just sat and watched with a dropped jaw.Her Mum and sister seemed to smile and think Oh dear what a pickle she is !!!

Now I know we all like to have a splurge now and again, but I wouldn't be able to sleep owing that sort of cash, did anyone else see it ???it mason BBC about 9.30 I think

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19.This is for food only
    &/6/18 first food shop this month £13.48
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 4th Jul 18, 3:24 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 10,786 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon all
    Sorry for my tardiness but I do have an excuse note for teacher .
    Well yesterday's garden session didn't happen as Mr Fix It decided to clean out one of the sheds and enlisted my help. So at least you can get to things at the back easily. We sorted out some items for recycling and as luck would have it along came the scrappy man. He made my day, tanned, bare chested and tattooed, mmmmmmmmmmm......... well I can still look and appreciate, even at my age . Didn't get a goldfish though .
    I was up at 7am this morning, unusual for me, but I needed to put a bag out for charity collection and then filled the car with some stuff for the tip. We were back from the tip by 8am as it's not far from us and it was empty. I have also done 2 loads in the WM, which are still on the whirly. I helped Mr Fix It take down a "dwarf" conifer which had outgrown it's space. It was up to about 15ft . All the debris has been shredded and put in the green bins awaiting collection on Monday. I am now shattered and parked on the sofa for the foreseeable future, unfortunately my thumb and wrist are in agony now. Mr Fix It has gone to bed as he can't keep his eyes open but I will have to wake him at 4pm for his medication. So much for exercise and fresh air .
    Tea tonight, if I can get to my feet, will be gammon, pineapple and chips/ sweet potato fries.
    May be late posting tomorrow again, as we have another busy day ahead starting with DGS class assembly at 9am and ending with tea for DGS, DGD, DD and Dad.
    Gers I hope your Mum has a speedy recovery.
    Holly I hope you enjoyed the seaside. I hope you had an ice cream for me too
    TA hugs as always
    Nelski I'm glad that you are feeling the benefit of your op. Don't do too much, too soon though
    Elona only 4 weeks to go, I bet you can't wait

Well I'd better go and put the kettle on as I'm parched, must be all that dust from the downed tree . ( I really don't need any excuse to put the kettle on . )
    Take care and hugs to all.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 4th Jul 18, 3:31 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 10,786 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Sorry meant to ask if anyone had heard from MrsSD or Cranky lately ?
    JackieO I missed that programme, some people still don't get it even when it's pointed out!
    We have rain . only a shower but it smells lovely. Had to run and get the washing in though
    Last edited by nannywindow; 04-07-2018 at 3:40 PM.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Judi
    • By Judi 4th Jul 18, 3:47 PM
    • 16,406 Posts
    • 72,316 Thanks
    Judi
    Well Prodigal has been and gone. He's in a right mood. Not with me, just fed up with his living situation. He's finally realized that his 'mates' arent his mates and he wants a job and his own place.

Youngest has come back early and gone out for the night.

Looks like cereal for tea and my beloved hounds for company.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 4th Jul 18, 4:15 PM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 31,122 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Sorry meant to ask if anyone had heard from MrsSD or Cranky lately ?
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    I'm OK thanks. I don't seem to have much time to myself lately - I blame the HT and the running I dropped the HT off at school this morning then went straight to the gym. Half an hour running on the treadmill then half an hour on the exercise bike...I do that Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I still have an interesting scar on my leg that looks like the hollow bit at the top of a volcano and it still hurts but the more that I can do to repair the circulation the better.

I had to call in at the bank on the way home today because my lovely friend had sent the HT a cheque. The HT had an award ceremony last week for the Archbishop of York Young Leaders and was given the "Exemplary" award which is the highest one so my friend thought that he deserved a cash reward as well as his badge and certificate. Once home I made some biscuits and some mocha squares to send to the same friend who sent the cheque. I took the parcel with the biscuits in to the post office on my way to collect Boy Wonder from school as I won't have a car tomorrow once I've done the school run (annual service is being done).

The HT has finally had his assessment with a physiotherapist who kindly provided the very real reason why the HT can do PE on artificial turf and be sore but if he does PE on grass he's in agony. The physio was concerned enough at what the HT told him to ask the doctor (who said it was growing pains twice - the physio says it isn't) to order blood tests to check for anything else going on. If there's nothing else happening then the physio will work with him to teach him strengthening exercises.

There's been other things too - I rearranged the shelf and hanging bars in the HT's wardrobe to give him more room and a better hanging space - he's so big now there's no room for two hanging bars because his shirts were touching the lower bar and getting crumpled. I also removed everything that doesn't fit him any more. The garden is also keeping me occupied - well fighting off the things that want to eat my lettuces and other growing things is keeping me busy I do like eating things that I've grown myself though.

I'm still reading but I have that many things to see to just now that by the time I get to the end I've forgotten who has had what happen....so rather than mess it up I tend not to say anything.
    Weight loss 2018 18.5 lbs
    July Grocery Challenge £73.72/£250
    • Gers
    • By Gers 4th Jul 18, 4:29 PM
    • 6,535 Posts
    • 41,888 Thanks
    Gers
    Made it home in one piece.

This morning I went into see DM in the 'holding unit' where she'd been since last night. The staff had to turn off the pinging noise from her heart monitor as it was constantly alerting to 'extreme tachycardia' and annoying the staff at the staff station right outside her bedroom door. Anyway, as luck would have it the cardiology consultant turned up and we had a good long chat. Outcome - heart failure which they will now try to manage with digoxin and diuretics. The rapid heart rate can't be cured, however DM has 'a good few years left in her'.

As I was leaving she was being moved into a mainstream cardiology ward. I'm much much less worried than I was on Monday or yesterday as she's brighter, eating better and happy that something is being done. Me too!

Now I'm back at home but only for one night. I'm going back down tomorrow as she may be discharged on Friday and I'm off to Berwick on Saturday for an overnight girlie time with my BFF. Perfect timing I think.

Thanks for all the good wishes and crossed fingers, they are especiall touching coming from those here who are having a much tougher time than I am. f

Tonight it's online banking, garden watering and then general lazing around on the plan. Sun is out, new table and bench appeared whilst I was gone so the front garden furniture is almost complete.

I hope everyone is doing well or getting better.

And thanks again!
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 4th Jul 18, 4:52 PM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 31,122 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Happy to see your news Gers. Your mum will probably feel better now that she knows what is happening (as no doubt do you). Heart failure sounds such an awful title, but in reality it is medically manageable. The late MrC's mother was diagnosed with it about 11 years ago and is still going strong.
    Weight loss 2018 18.5 lbs
    July Grocery Challenge £73.72/£250
    • Judi
    • By Judi 4th Jul 18, 5:14 PM
    • 16,406 Posts
    • 72,316 Thanks
    Judi
    Nannywindow the conifers in my garden were meant to be of the dwarf variety. Dwarf my backside!

If I'd have known!

Gers good news about your Mum.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jul 18, 5:19 PM
    • 4,743 Posts
    • 43,457 Thanks
    Floss
    Well I'm back from doing battle with 5' thistles, bindweed & sticky-bob...the compost heap is now 5' higher Strimmed all the paths too, hopefully the weed stems will burn in the sun. It all looks a lot tidier and I shouldn't get a weed notice this month now!
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 4th Jul 18, 7:45 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 10,786 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Gers I.m so happy that something will now be done for your Mum. It's awful being in the dark and not knowing IYSWIM. Hope she lives a long and fulfilling life.
    Cranky lovely to hear from you and I'm glad that you and the HT are OKish. Don't worry about remembering stuff, my head is nearly always like a sieve .
    Judi well the conifer was dwarf once and not supposed to grow much. Don't think anyone passed on the information to the tree though . Mind you it's partially my fault for not insisting that Mr Fix It cut it down before it grew and grew. I'm surprised there wasn't a giant at the top of it too !
    The penny seems to have dropped for your prodigal . I hope he can sort out some work and housing to his satisfaction ( and yours ).
    Floss well done with those weeds, I've got some to destroy if you're still in the mood
    Enjoy your evening everyone.
    nan xx
    • Elona
    • By Elona 4th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 2,632 Thanks
    Elona
    Cranky

Well Done to the house troll!!!!!!!! You must be so proud for him!

Gers

That is great news about DM - not the heart failure bit obviously the fact that something has been identified and is being done.

Hugs to all
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,062Posts Today

5,002Users online

Martin's Twitter